Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Fxr problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 06:07 PM
Mark kurr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fxr problems

I have a highly modified 1987 10th anniversary low rider and I am having a problem. In 1st and 2nd gear it runs up to 7000 rpm and as soon as I grab 3rd 4th and 5th it falls on its face like it is starving for fuel and I know that isn't the problem I have ruled that out and put in a new single fire ignition module in and no change . Maybe the coil ?

Old 04-12-2017, 11:22 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Clutch is slipping

Old 04-13-2017, 12:24 AM
aquadave
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

do you have the stock petcock? if so there is a good possibility you're starving

Old 04-13-2017, 05:59 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

How did you rule out the fuel? what carburetor......?

Old 04-13-2017, 08:05 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Gas cap vent clear?
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:33 AM
aquadave
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Gas cap vent clear?
Scott
^^^^^
Gas cap vents can be a real pain and you never think about them

Old 04-13-2017, 10:37 AM
Mark kurr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a pet **** I run a ballvalve1/2 inch and big fuel lines also ,i took bowl off and watched the fuel come into the bowl and the float and fuel flow was good also cleaned all jets . I run a super e with thunder jet . Alreadd checked the gas cap . And no the clutch isn't slipping . When a clutch slips you can still Rev the bike up I've blown a few clutches so I know how they act . So you all have anymore ideas

Old 04-13-2017, 12:00 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

Seeing that you have a E carb, the next time it happens immediately shut off the fuel valve and shut down the motor. Pull over and pop the float bowl. It's easy enough on an E.
Does it happen if you only take up to 6 k?
I don't think your ignition will cause it. I still believe it's fuel related. What's your jetting, including the thunder jet and are you using an external air bleed. If your running it that high in the rpm range (in which i don't recommend) you might have to install an external air bleed if you don't already have one and you should also plug the bowl vent that is open to the face of air cleaner. I believe on the S&S web site there is documentation on how to convert to the external air bleed.... Or you can call their tech support....

One more thing. If your are going to consistently push the motor to 7k i would suggest bringing it to a reputable Indy (one that's been around since the shovel days) to dyno tune your motor...... Otherwise it probably won't last as long as you would like it to......

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 04-13-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:58 PM
aquadave
Road Master

1/2" ball value? I'd like to see a pic of that. spark plugs? main jet? air breather? sometimes a venture stack placed sideways the air flow will create a suction and prevent air from entering the motor. leaky intake? exhaust pipe?

Old 04-13-2017, 01:02 PM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Doubt you are running to 7K. If you are running a tach, you might want to check it. Either way, you say highly modified FXR. What motor and cam? Chain drive? Gear ratios?
You say falls on its face in upper gears....does it bog? Sputter? Sound fine but just isn't pulling up there?
Not enough info here, but if this is a big motor, the E may be be not able to pull enough air at higher geared, higher speeds and is running out of air to pull any harder as motor demands increase. In other words, first and second gear, at those slower speeds, the air velocity, AFR is nice, but motors air demands at higher speeds are not met.
Other possibilities are running out of fuel at high speed demand. Not fuel flowing from tank to carb, which you have already verified is working, but too small of a main and TJet.
Other possibilities are trans and final drive gearing. You bang first and second, it's pulling nice and hard, but the rest, once you shift are too low numerically and its fighting uphill to pull strong.
Have you tried it with different levels of fuel in the tank? Any chance your ball valve isn't working properly? I have always run petcocks on my modified motors.
It sure has the symptoms of vapor lock or fuel starvation, but hard to tell on the net.
Electrical is a possibility (coil-inspect for cracks), also a loose (bad) plug wire, sparkplug, loose battery cable (fine at low speeds but high rpm vibration loosens it and cuts power intermittently to the motor), or loose wire or ground.
A good dyno session would be in order as said.

Quick Reply: Fxr problems