Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

110 & Triple 8's

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 08:08 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts
Default 110 & Triple 8's

I traded off the Limited and got back on a Road Glide (2016 RGS) and after riding it stock through the twisties and hills of Tennessee, it needs more everywhere.
I was able to get a set of 110 drop in's on my trade-in deal so I've been trying to decide what direction to go with the build. After talking with Scott, I'm going with his stage 3 heads, ported and matched 58mm TB, 5.3 injectors, SEPST, .030 head gaskets (pistons are negative .006), adjustable push rods, Melling lifters, AIM clutch, SE hi-flow 2 1/4" tube Supertrapp type exhaust and Wood's triple 8 cams.
I know the exhaust is not the best option out there for all out power but it's what I want as I hate loud exhaust on my bike. I do however have the open end caps but the CATS are still in the slip-on's.
After talking with Bob about his cams and a starting point for a tune, he recommended Rod's Performance in Hanceville, AL which is one of the closest shops to me for a final tune.

I doubt I'll see anything from Scott until the last week of the month. Rod said as soon as I can see a date for completion, he'll work me in, so hopefully I'll have a tuned bike the first week of May.
In the meantime I'm finishing up a few add on's and I ordered a DD Customs fairing lowering bracket.

I could only find a very few dyno sheets for the triple 8s and a few of those were very impressive. I hope my exhaust choice doesn't totally neuter the build. We'll see shortly.

Another thing; any of you guys run ACES in your fuel? I started using it in my tuned outboard and it definitely makes a difference in performance. I also just moved and found a local place to me that offers 100% 93 octane gas. I'll run that as much as possible but otherwise I think I'll keep a bottle of the ACES on board for areas that do not offer good fuel.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:59 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

Rod is a good tuner and personal friend. He built the engine in my 04 bike. Gary one of his mechanics painted the tins on my 04 bike. Rod also modified my 120R.

Great shop with good people. Tell them Doug from Montana Says hello to Rod, Ricky and Gary.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:25 AM
scj
Road Warrior

Will do!
I'm still hopeful I'll receive my parts from Scott this week so I can get down there to see Rod next week.

Good to know they can paint as I want to do a 180 front tire kit and will need a fender painted.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:13 PM
JDG1172
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested to see your numbers. I'm running similar build. 110, level b fuel moto heads, 777 cams, VH power duels and VH high output mufflers, 58 mm tb. I was considering changing up the cams for a little more hp.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:43 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Those Stage III Heads are almost completed.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:17 PM
scj
Road Warrior

Received my parts from Scott today.
Now the fun begins!

Old 05-07-2017, 01:52 AM
scj
Road Warrior

Buttoned up everything today except the clutch kit which I'll install tomorrow morning but the initial shakedown run went perfectly tonight.
The 888's have a lot more pull on the bottom than I expected but that could be Scott's head work complimenting everything else.

I installed Rockouts along with Melling lifters and S&S adjustable push rods set at .144 preload. Extremely quiet running engine I have to say. Something about the Melling lifters another member posted I found true is the stock lifters have a larger opening in the cup than the Melling's but the Melling's have a larger diameter opening in the side where oil is fed into the lifters. Not only is it much larger, it's perfectly bored in a precise location whereas the Harley lifters are nowhere close to being drilled precisely on the flat cast'd for the oil inlet hole. Looks like they outsourced those to China!

I'm running open end caps on the Supertrapp's for break in time but I'm taking the closed caps and additional disks to Rod for him to tune. Curious to see how it'll tune out with one vs. the other.

I'm the worse person to take pictures but Scott's work on the heads and throttle body are works of art. He mentioned how well my heads flowed as they are always improving their methods but he'll have to jump in here to provide specifics about that if he cares to. May be a trade secret though..........
Anyway, I'll call Rod Monday morning to let him know it's ready for him to tune and get it scheduled.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 05:50 PM
scj
Road Warrior

Took the bike back out this morning for another heat cycle. Before I left, I installed the closed end caps and added 10 more disks each side. I think that makes 20 per side now.
It ran so well I told my wife to grab her coat. 100+ miles later, not one hiccup, stutter, stumble, etc..... no pinging when I dropped down below 2000 rpm's, just a strong steady pull that'll gain speed in any gear with 410 pounds of rider/passenger aboard.

Summary; the Woods triple 8's provide plenty of low end torque to motor my wife and I around the hills of middle Tennessee. Looking forward to seeing what's available in the upper rpm's on Rod's dyno.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:15 PM
94 ultra
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

sounds great

Old 05-08-2017, 05:30 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Steve,
From what we've seen here, those Supertrapp's seem to work best with a closed end cap.
Glad to hear you have it up and running!!
Scott

Quick Reply: 110 & Triple 8's