Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Help Please, Need Opinions!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:01 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

At this point it wouldn't hurt to get a factory service manual and start taking it apart and document everything you do including pics... There are a lot of people around here that will help you.... Your in the right place... Dig in brother.......

Old 04-25-2017, 12:46 PM
FattyMcJ
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Taggs
Agreed but, it will be the inevitable death of the engine. if it's making noise, the serious damage is done.
Completely disagree.

Mine **** the bed around 17k miles (two weeks after I bought the bike...it was a garage queen) and made TERRIBLE noise, wouldn't stay running...it was bad.

Did the repair (new plate, tensioners, oil pump, new cams, etc) and now she sits at 33k miles with no more issues. I ride her daily too, she doesn't get babied.

I say find a new mechanic, preferably an Indy.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Not necessarily the "inevitable death" of the motor; the noise was coming from the cam chest.

Unfortunate situation but replacing the tensioner shoes with a set of CYCO shoes, oil and filter change could be all that is required to solve the problem permanently or, worst case, buy the OP some time to scrape up the cash for a rebuild.
You have a lot of faith in the filtering system To prevent even the slightest amount of contamination to hit vital intetnal moving parts. I don't.

Short term fix, yes. Cam chest repair followed up by a couple close interval oil changes may give it some added life. After that it's a over time breakdown matter. Always in the back of your head, is this the day it nukes?

Old 04-25-2017, 05:35 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FattyMcJ
Completely disagree.

Mine **** the bed around 17k miles (two weeks after I bought the bike...it was a garage queen) and made TERRIBLE noise, wouldn't stay running...it was bad.

Did the repair (new plate, tensioners, oil pump, new cams, etc) and now she sits at 33k miles with no more issues. I ride her daily too, she doesn't get babied.

I say find a new mechanic, preferably an Indy.
You got to be the exception, so far at least.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:47 PM
FattyMcJ
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 84 Posts

Exception, lucky, or much ado about nothing. Who knows.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:33 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,803 Likes on 3,311 Posts

Stranger things have happened. There are times when there is major failure to a single component. Depending on where and when. Just a year ago I had an 83" Evo that had a good amount of power.. Enough to shear the crank pin. with the slight separation of the crank It machined down the right side case. The oil filter did it's job and did not allow the circulation on Aluminum throughout my motor. Besides the crank NOTHING else was damaged...

Those that do know me, know it happened just as i say.....

Attached Thumbnails Help Please, Need Opinions!!-20160719_174048.jpg   Help Please, Need Opinions!!-20160718_200659-1.jpg  

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 04-25-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Originally Posted by Taggs
You have a lot of faith in the filtering system To prevent even the slightest amount of contamination to hit vital intetnal moving parts. I don't. Short term fix, yes. Cam chest repair followed up by a couple close interval oil changes may give it some added life. After that it's a over time breakdown matter. Always in the back of your head, is this the day it nukes?
I have known several that have encountered the OP's situation, one was my brothers '05 FXST. Not having the funds to take out the motor, split cases, pull the pan, etc., etc., we replaced the cam chest innards, did a "complete" oil change with my Rogue Chopper kit, replace the oil filter and put the bike back on the road. After a couple of hundred miles we pulled another complete oil change and collected an oil sample which we sent to Blackstone and got a good report back. That was four years ago. So, yeah, I have faith in the filtering system using the HD filters.

Just saying that the OP could save himself a lot of grief and money by taking the "short term" approach to extending the life of the motor. Best case is problem is solved for good; worst case the motor life is extended and he buys some time to put away some $$ for that fateful ("inevitable" in your terms) day when the motor dies but that's JMHO.

The following users liked this post:
FattyMcJ (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:35 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by djl
I have known several that have encountered the OP's situation, one was my brothers '05 FXST. Not having the funds to take out the motor, split cases, pull the pan, etc., etc., we replaced the cam chest innards, did a "complete" oil change with my Rogue Chopper kit, replace the oil filter and put the bike back on the road. After a couple of hundred miles we pulled another complete oil change and collected an oil sample which we sent to Blackstone and got a good report back. That was four years ago. So, yeah, I have faith in the filtering system using the HD filters.

Just saying that the OP could save himself a lot of grief and money by taking the "short term" approach to extending the life of the motor. Best case is problem is solved for good; worst case the motor life is extended and he buys some time to put away some $$ for that fateful ("inevitable" in your terms) day when the motor dies but that's JMHO.
For many, myself included it's the cost of this sort of repair. I get that. We seek alternatives here that may allow dodging the big hit.

Whenever I read or hear of the OPs situation it makes me cringe. Being a TC owner as well, its frustrating to know this is just a p..s poor design. The best we can do is take every measure to avoid its failure. I'll be pulling my cam cover for inspection well before the recommended time to hopefully avoid this.

The oils analysis is a good strategy to preempt a repeat failure and notice of possible further internal breakdown caused by this. agreed. If it were my own bike, to be quite honest, I would consider taking that approach.

Best luck to all..
Safe riding.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:09 PM
jeddyfreddy20
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Fuller
Sorry for the long history but it's necessary for understanding. Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to here as I just purchased my 2003 Road King Classic in Oct 2016 with 17,200 miles @ $10,000. It now has 19,300 miles. I found this forum while searching for a solution to my problem after owning it 6 months and just over 2,000 miles of riding. I could REALLY use everyone's opinions. So here it goes:

Everything seemed to be going well with my bike until a few weeks ago. When I ride my motorcycles to work, I usually wear my earbuds and listen to music. I started hearing what I thought were the valves/lifters starting to click louder as time went on. Finally, last week, my oil pressure light came on. After work, I drove it by the nearest Harley dealer to get oil and have them listen to the engine. Mechanic turned it on, listened for about 1-2 seconds, and turned it off saying that it didn't sound right and recommended I not drive it any further.
The mechanic ended up opening the engine area where the cams and tensioner are to find that the plastic shoe was melted, shaving, and had sliver chunks in the housing. The tensioner was actually fine. He then took of the oil filter, cut it open, and found metal shavings in the oil. Both him and the service manager said that time vs money, it was looking like a new motor and hopefully the cams were still good. They said that the other Harley dealership should have seen the metal flakes if they had done an oil change prior to selling it to me; I don't know if they did or not. They also said that this problem is not "normal" and they usually don't check the cam tensioner until about 20-25,000 miles.
After talking with the general manager at the dealership I purchased it from, I was told they couldn't do anything since I didn't have a warranty and it had been 6 months and 2,000 miles. The best they could do for me is their "Winter Package Deal" of 20% of parts and labor. This blew my mind!! A new motor + labor is around $5,000. That's half of what they sold me the bike for!!

Does anyone have anyone have any experience like this after purchasing a bike? What are your recommendations that I should do? Would it help to contact Harley corporate? This is my 5th bike I've owned and my 1st Harley. This isn't a very good starting experience that I'm having so far.

I know this is an old thread but what did you end up doing? I’m having the same issue. Shavings and shoe pieces in the cam chest. Hoping I can get away without a rebuild.

Old 05-10-2022, 06:53 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,493 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Do yourself a favor, start a new thread.
Give details about bike and exactly what the issue is.
Tagging on to an old thread like this will cause too much confusion.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (05-10-2022)

Quick Reply: Help Please, Need Opinions!!