Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Help/advice needed: 95" motor on its last legs. What's the next move?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 01:22 PM
SafetyFifth
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

With all that knocking and noise going on what's your oil look like? It full of shavings and metallic looking? Have you cut open a oil filter?

Old 06-13-2017, 07:25 PM
m_mcdonnell314
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will deffintely further investigate before pulling the trigger. When I did the top end I changed the cam bearings, cam tensioners, etc. My oil has been relatively clean throughout the years but there was a lot of metal on the plug a few days ago when I drained it. I guess I forgot to mention that?? Haha.

I have buddy that told me he would sell me a 95" motor for a pretty decent price. I told him that before I pulled the plug on it I want to inspect it extremely thoroughly, and he was fine with that. What should I look for? Im going to break the top end apart, check everything out, but my main focus is on the crank. I think I will take off the came plate and do a crank run out test with a dial indicator and bring a feeler gauge to check out the connecting rod slop. Anything else?

Old 06-13-2017, 07:37 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,785 Likes on 3,536 Posts

Originally Posted by m_mcdonnell314
I will deffintely further investigate before pulling the trigger. When I did the top end I changed the cam bearings, cam tensioners, etc. My oil has been relatively clean throughout the years but there was a lot of metal on the plug a few days ago when I drained it. I guess I forgot to mention that?? Haha.

I have buddy that told me he would sell me a 95" motor for a pretty decent price. I told him that before I pulled the plug on it I want to inspect it extremely thoroughly, and he was fine with that. What should I look for? Im going to break the top end apart, check everything out, but my main focus is on the crank. I think I will take off the came plate and do a crank run out test with a dial indicator and bring a feeler gauge to check out the connecting rod slop. Anything else?
I don't get it it. For some reason you're fixated on needing a new engine. You just listed a string of things you are going to do while checking over a used 95". Why don't you do those things to your engine??? Doesn't make sense.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:34 PM
m_mcdonnell314
Advanced

Don't know what's not to get, I posted I will be investigating the issue more with the engine in now, I would assume the procedure I talked about looking over the new one would make it obvious I will be doing that to my current engine. I guess I didn't make that clear, my mistake. Fixated would be the wrong word to use, just cautious and looking for the easiest route. I took off the rear cylinder and thing is obvious that can be seen to cause this. I'll check the crank run out next

Old 06-13-2017, 09:55 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,785 Likes on 3,536 Posts

Let us know what you find...
Good luck

Old 06-17-2017, 08:44 PM
m_mcdonnell314
Advanced

Hi guys. Did a crank runout test and everything serms to be fine, it's within the spec (.004.005) so I'm fine with that. The connecting rod bushings have literally NO play in them, which I've never seen, is SOME play required? Maybe after it heats up they will expand. I'm trying to figure out else can be the cause, I really don't want it to be put together then start knocking again. I'm kind of stuck here....I'm going to check the tolerances for the oil pump...maybe they are out of spec

Old 06-17-2017, 09:32 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

What year is the 95" block your putting in? Unless it's an 99 or 00 or 01 or 02 the bottom end won't be as sturdy.

Last edited by Yamaharley; 06-17-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Because my grammer is pretty ****ing shitty
Old 06-17-2017, 11:42 PM
13RoadKing
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Spend as much time and money as you need to diagnose the knock. I suggest going to 2-3 mechanics.
Recently I bought really nice car dirt cheap. Engine was making noise. 5 hours diagnosing, 2 hours labor, $70 part. It was rattling timing belt tensioner. I probably made $2k in one day. Do you want me to buy your bike and make 2k more?

Old 06-18-2017, 01:51 PM
m_mcdonnell314
Advanced

As of right now, it seems that I am going to keep my stock bottom end. I cannot see anything wrong with it, the bearings everything seems to be fine and within spec. There is some scoring on my cam plate/oil pump where they both meet up so I might get a new oil pump and/or cam plate and start building her back up again, checking every single thing. Anyone disagree?

Old 06-19-2017, 01:21 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,518 Posts

Not liking the .004"-.005" crank runout but as long as you run chains and keep an eye on it, you should be OK. Post some pictures of the oil pump/cam plate scoring? Still no clue on the noise though?

Quick Reply: Help/advice needed: 95" motor on its last legs. What's the next move?