Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Looking for the best of BOTH worlds

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 09:54 AM
MagnumWideGlide69
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for the best of BOTH worlds

So I've had my 15 Wideglide a little over 16 months and had some questions to see what suggestions realistically come up.
103 Stage 4 Pro, with 259E cams ( not really happy with these), SE Performance clutch Pak plus HD spring, SE adjustables, S&S premium lifters without the travel limiters, SE oil pump and Cam plate, SE roller rockers, Bassani B1. TTS Master Tune.

Wondering what would be a better Cam selection, as I DON'T drag race the bike, ride 2-up alot, and play aggressively once in a while. I'd like a little more on the bottom end so street drivability is better, as well as trying to get back some MPG (28mpg right now sucks ***!!)

Also, I KNOW 2-1 systems make better power, but I still prefer the sound of a twin'd pipe bike over a single muff.

So I am thinking some T-man cams and possibly Reinhart 2-2 flush or V&H Long Shots ( need to be clear of my Iron Bags bags).

Old 06-18-2017, 10:02 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Has the bike been correctly tuned in the dyno?

Old 06-18-2017, 10:13 AM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Giving up that cool B1 pipe for a dual is sacrilegious but pipes are a personal choice.
Depending on where your compression is will dictate the better cam choices so we should know that first.

Old 06-18-2017, 11:27 AM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member

If it's the race kit, and 10.5 to 1, there is an old sheet at harleytech Talk that switched the cam to a s&s 570. It went about 115 /125 with a nice early tabletop torque curve. That 259 Should work just fine but the tune has to be right.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:05 PM
MagnumWideGlide69
Intermediate

Compression is 10.5:1 to the best of my knowledge. Doc @ Doc's Performance tuned the bike. The problem.o have with the B12 is it contacts my bag on the center bottom, don't want to destroy the Bag. So looking at other pipe options. Even the D&D Fat Cat was looked, but clearance is a concern.
I am not totally sure the bike is tuned 100%, but I do know I have the worst fuel mileage I could imagine at this point.
I have been contemplating T-man 590 or 625's. Main goal is to get a little bit more to the left side of the chart, to get some Streetability and MPG back.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:37 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnumWideGlide69
Compression is 10.5:1 to the best of my knowledge. Doc @ Doc's Performance tuned the bike. The problem.o have with the B12 is it contacts my bag on the center bottom, don't want to destroy the Bag. So looking at other pipe options. Even the D&D Fat Cat was looked, but clearance is a concern.
I am not totally sure the bike is tuned 100%, but I do know I have the worst fuel mileage I could imagine at this point.
I have been contemplating T-man 590 or 625's. Main goal is to get a little bit more to the left side of the chart, to get some Streetability and MPG back.
You said it yourself... What does the "professional" have to say??

I had the 259s in the '09 for awhile (SE Stage III Kit on the 110) and liked them after much Dyno Tuning to remove a flat spot at 25-2700 RPM (V&H PowerDuals) as others have stated "the Tune has to be right"...
'Would probably still be running to this day except for a lifter taking out the motor..

As much as I love the T-Man 625s in my '09 (at 10.4-1) you might take a look at T-Man's new 585s... 'have seen some nice curves / good #s / and good reports on them at 10.5-1 or less... Both of these Cams come in earlier than the 259s but still carry on out to the right...

As you know exhaust plays a major role,, but your situation is what it is... would consider the longshots...

Can you post the dyno sheet??

Last edited by FlaHeatWave; 06-19-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:38 PM
MagnumWideGlide69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FlaHeatWave
You said it yourself... What does the "professional" have to say??

I had the 259s in the '09 for awhile (SE Stage III Kit on the 110) and liked them after much Dyno Tuning to remove a flat spot at 25-2700 RPM (V&H PowerDuals) as others have stated "the Tune has to be right"...
'Would probably still be running to this day except for a lifter taking out the motor..

As much as I love the T-Man 625s in my '09 (at 10.4-1) you might take a look at T-Man's new 585s... 'have seen some nice curves / good #s / and good reports on them at 10.5-1 or less... Both of these Cams come in earlier than the 259s but still carry on out to the right...

As you know exhaust plays a major role,, but your situation is what it is... would consider the longshots...

Can you post the dyno sheet??

I'll have to do it when I get home from work.
I agree regarding the exhaust, I just don't want to destroy a $750 bag. Regarding the cams, I have been looking at the 585 and 590. TR at T-Man has said they should be a perfect fit for the bike with the St 4 Kit heads.

I am waiting to speak with him, as he messaged me today, but must have been pretty busy at the shop.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:41 PM
MagnumWideGlide69
Intermediate

As she sits now, the pipe comes up under the center of the bag.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:44 PM
MagnumWideGlide69
Intermediate

The only other pipes I have been thinking about are the D&D Fat Cat (clearance concerned though), he V&H Long Shots and the Rinehart 2-2 flush (as they sit tight to the bike and a little lower). Wish D&D didn't have that kick up to it. I have also looked at RB, Sawicki, and a few others, but the last thing o want to have to do is have pipes custom made and cost me 2k+

Old 06-19-2017, 07:17 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MagnumWideGlide69
The only other pipes I have been thinking about are the D&D Fat Cat (clearance concerned though), he V&H Long Shots and the Rinehart 2-2 flush (as they sit tight to the bike and a little lower). Wish D&D didn't have that kick up to it. I have also looked at RB, Sawicki, and a few others, but the last thing o want to have to do is have pipes custom made and cost me 2k+
how about a rb,
has a nice pipe with the turnout that may serve you well. Lsr I think.

Quick Reply: Looking for the best of BOTH worlds