Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Pipes off tips on setting lifters properly

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:11 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Thumbs up Pipes off tips on setting lifters properly

MY INDY MESSED THIS UP, AND MOTHS AGO I GOT IT RIGHT, A couple questions tho,as theres always that little, what if, as motors nice, just not that hold on to my seat I was after!! Since I have pipes off, and I can see in each exhaust cylinder, is there a sure shot way knowing I'm not on the rollover, and piston is at TDC, I have 570easy start versions 570 cams, so I was able to identify the lil "click" sound, which right after click, is where I'm supposed to set the rods, on the compression stroke<piston Coming Up!> being bikes winter time, and I have lots of wrench time, I wanna check JUST ONE MORE TIME

YES I have a touch of OCD, also want to make sure my Hillside 107ci build is running how she should, now if anyone can offer advise, as when I set before, and took plugs out of each hole, put finger over, spun wheel, to make sure I'm not on downside, when pushing air from spark plug, I know that piston is on her way up, than I had a straw, and kinda moved it a lil bit to see where the actual TDC is, Is there a easier way now that I can look right into cylinders?>

Question #2, theres a TON of carbon, in these newly built heads, motor has 1900k miles on it, when heads sent in, I only got maybe 300 miles tops since new heads etc installed, I heard, that when starting, a shot of water in intake will clean it out? or is it something else? it pains me to look up in there and see all BLACK, now I ran with a bs tuner at first, bit I assure you Between My Custom Tuned PowerVision, and Closed Loop Target Tune, I'm on point, motor never ran so good, well compare to the 50 miles I used the FP3 on it!!!!, so is there anything I can do? I'm almost ready to pull them off, and send somewhere to do a rad more work, as I wasn't informed on how much performance comes from the heads, so that option is on the table!!!! If theres a way to clean them up, naturally ID RATHER DO THAT

Now I have RB Racing LSR 2-1 challenge pipe coming, and he's NOT into baffles, lol, and I read how bad BLACK SOOT means as far as a motor running right, but again, in everyones defense, I had WRONG TUNER ON, IT WAS BLOWING BLACK SMOKE, I TOOK RIGHT OFF, SUPER SUPER RICH!!!!!

3rd question is, when doing my 24 flats, S&S , I thought I read a extra flat or so on the intake side better for performance?any truth to that, or both sides , etc? I have the S5S Premium, not the 300$HLT Version, the 140 Standard, high performance tappets...

Old 11-28-2017, 10:57 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 566 Likes on 393 Posts

A RB 124 challenge pipe for a 107 w/ a 570? What are you looking for with this combo?

Old 11-28-2017, 11:16 AM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

not a 124 challenge pipe, a lsr2-1...he knows its for a 107 build, so he's building to spec...looking for a performer!!!

Old 11-28-2017, 12:45 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 566 Likes on 393 Posts

On the pushrod adjustment. I stick my finger in the cover and touch the lifters. Spin back tire. I feel for the exhaust to come up and as it is going down. The intake lifts. When I feel that go down. I rotate the tire another bump. Go to other side and stick a zip tie in the spark plug hole, bump back tire until I am at top or close to. The degree of the lifters being on the base circle is good size window.

Adjusting PR's without lifters? I just go to mid travel mostly and lock them down. I have never seen any advantage to anything else when it comes to noise or performance.

IMO forums and internet has made this a much more complicated procedure than it is.