Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Thoughts on a 98" Big Bore build with 585 Cams?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 05:28 PM
Phinatic62
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on a 98" Big Bore build with 585 Cams?

Hi fellow HD enthusiasts, I'm new to the forum although I have been reading it for years. I'm getting ready to have my build done in a couple of weeks and wanted to get some feedback on the build before it actually happens.... especially if someone else out there has a similar build. The bike is a stock 03 Dyna Low Rider with only a Stage 1 kit and V&H Long Shots (yeah, it's a dog). I already own the parts listed below and just need to settle on who will be doing the CNC head porting. Anyway, here is the build, all feedback is welcome (I think):

S&S 98” Big Bore Kit,
S&S 585 Easy Start Cams,
D&D Fat Cat 2:1,
S&S Premium Tappets,
SE Premium Tapered Adjustable Push Rods,
SE Hydraulic Cam Tensioner & Oil Pump Kit,
Mikuni Carburetor HSR42,
Dynatek 2000 Digital Performance Ignition TC88-2P
CNC Stage 2 head porting (To Be Determined) - Looking at a 10.5:1 CR
(Note: I plan to upgrade to a six speed tranny at some point)

Old 01-11-2018, 07:20 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,813 Likes on 3,316 Posts

All a good combo but I think I would go to a good porter for the heads. They will make sure the heads flow as the cam necessitates.

The following users liked this post:
Phinatic62 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:52 PM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Phinatic62
Hi fellow HD enthusiasts, I'm new to the forum although I have been reading it for years. I'm getting ready to have my build done in a couple of weeks and wanted to get some feedback on the build before it actually happens.... especially if someone else out there has a similar build. The bike is a stock 03 Dyna Low Rider with only a Stage 1 kit and V&H Long Shots (yeah, it's a dog). I already own the parts listed below and just need to settle on who will be doing the CNC head porting. Anyway, here is the build, all feedback is welcome (I think):

S&S 98” Big Bore Kit,
S&S 585 Easy Start Cams,
S&S Premium Tappets,
Mikuni Carburetor HSR42,
Yea , why not !

The following users liked this post:
Phinatic62 (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 07:53 PM
Phinatic62
Novice

Agreed. That's why I left that for the final decision before I squeeze the trigger on the build. I have been doing a bunch of research and have spoken\emailed with several head porters. Right now I have it narrowed down to one of the following:

BigBoyz (http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com)
Hammer Performance (http://www.hammerperf.com/tcporting.shtml)
NRHS V-Twin Performance (http://nrhsperformance.com/cncporting.shtml)
or possibly S&S Cycle (https://www.sscycle.com/go-fast-show...ystem-upgrades).

I've looked around at a few local shops, but I'm still leaning with the porters above.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:29 PM
Dyna100
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Phinatic62

S&S 98” Big Bore Kit,
S&S 585 Easy Start Cams,
S&S Premium Tappets,
Mikuni Carburetor HSR42,
I have almost the same build. See my signature for build details. I used Hillside for the head work and am very happy with the work. My engine builder here in California said he didn't know anyone that could have done a better job, and he's built hundreds of engine. The bike runs great! I couldn't be happier. You should get a few money HP than mine with the bigger carb. They say the stock carb,properly set up is good to 100HP. Mine stock carb required some work but it works just fine. Hillside also ported the intake manifold. My does ping just a bit. Here in California we have only 91 octane fuel. On 93 I don't think it would ping at all. I can add Klotz octane boost and it fixed the issue. Scott at Hillside was very helpful in guiding my desicions. Give him a call.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:56 PM
johnwesley
Tourer
Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

I’ve had really good luck with Aaron and Dan at hammer and they are close to you. Tell him what you have and how you plan to use it and he can match the heads to what you need, he talked me into a cheaper build than I had originally wanted because of how I wanted to use the back. It ran very well and was what I wanted. I like the way he works with you on the build sheet as well, you get to see and he answers your questions and changes what needs to be until your both happy with the options. If I was in Idaho that’s who I’d use.

Old 01-12-2018, 04:26 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Good build for a light bike.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:58 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Just make sure you get your compression right for those cams. I have a 95" bog bore on my '02 FLTR with gear drive S&S 585's with some headwork. The power comes on around 3100-3200rpm and from there it is a rocketship....Getting that big heavy bike off the line with those cams in a smaller displacement is a different story.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:45 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

98"/S&S 585 is a build done a lot here,your going to want 1.90/1.610 headwork flowing in the 265+ @ 28" area,set at 10.5-1 minimum.expect 110+/115+

Old 01-13-2018, 10:32 AM
Phinatic62
Novice

Originally Posted by Dyna100
I have almost the same build. See my signature for build details. I used Hillside for the head work and am very happy with the work. My engine builder here in California said he didn't know anyone that could have done a better job, and he's built hundreds of engine. The bike runs great! I couldn't be happier. You should get a few money HP than mine with the bigger carb. They say the stock carb,properly set up is good to 100HP. Mine stock carb required some work but it works just fine. Hillside also ported the intake manifold. My does ping just a bit. Here in California we have only 91 octane fuel. On 93 I don't think it would ping at all. I can add Klotz octane boost and it fixed the issue. Scott at Hillside was very helpful in guiding my desicions. Give him a call.
Thanks... great information. I will do some research on Hillside regarding the head work. As far as the carb goes, I had one person tell me that I may need to go to a 45 so that the carb doesn't hold me back from getting the most out of the build.... I guess I'll find out when it gets on the Dyno. Also, I noticed from your profile that it appears our Dynas are pretty similar; I have a Dead Center fairing as well.... attached pic for your viewing pleasure.

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on a 98" Big Bore build with 585 Cams?-img_0397.jpg  

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a 98" Big Bore build with 585 Cams?