Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

2nd Third of 107 kit completed

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 07:04 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,440 Likes on 21,391 Posts
Default 2nd Third of 107 kit completed

S & S

Old 01-13-2018, 07:09 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Torque plate the cylinders and check piston fitment and check ring gap; in case you didn't already. Always measure; trust but verify.

The following users liked this post:
lionsm13 (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 08:14 PM
Sc0-
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks so pretty in the boxes! Be sure to clean everything up prior to assembling, i used a dremel fiber abrasive buff wheel for the top of my CP pistons as they had pretty sharp edges from machining. The wheel didn't remove much material but it did knock down the sharp edges. Also ATF worked pretty good as a cleaner for the jugs and works good for piston ring break in. Three most pain in the *** parts of my engine build; installing those wrist pin locks properly and installing the jugs over the pistons while compressing the rings.

All those sharp edges waiting for your fingers...

lionsm13 (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 08:26 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,177 Posts

That wrist pin circlip tool is Satan's work.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

lionsm13 (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 08:41 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,440 Likes on 21,391 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc0-
Looks so pretty in the boxes! Be sure to clean everything up prior to assembling, i used a dremel fiber abrasive buff wheel for the top of my CP pistons as they had pretty sharp edges from machining. The wheel didn't remove much material but it did knock down the sharp edges. Also ATF worked pretty good as a cleaner for the jugs and works good for piston ring break in. Three most pain in the *** parts of my engine build; installing those wrist pin locks properly and installing the jugs over the pistons while compressing the rings.

All those sharp edges waiting for your fingers...
T'would be real purty;

https://www.google.com/search?q=diam...hk4iokrTXA7yM:

Old 01-13-2018, 10:53 PM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,187 Likes on 6,215 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Torque plate the cylinders and check piston fitment and check ring gap; in case you didn't already. Always measure; trust but verify.
djl, do you know of a viable alternative to using torque plates? I have the S&S 110" kit and would like to check the clearances, but I'll bet there isn't an appropriate set of torque plates within 175 miles of where I live.

Also, if Lionsm13's 107" kit is like mine, the rings will be file to fit.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:22 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I will 2nd that suggestion strongly, been there and didn't do it and came back to bite me.

lionsm13 (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 07:37 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by martinj
djl, do you know of a viable alternative to using torque plates? I have the S&S 110" kit and would like to check the clearances, but I'll bet there isn't an appropriate set of torque plates within 175 miles of where I live.

Also, if Lionsm13's 107" kit is like mine, the rings will be file to fit.

cylinders don't really need to be plated for setting ring gap,but must be plated & torqued the same as they were bored to check out of round,taper & wall clearance.if their S&S,torque them as S&S recommends,if bored by a indy,find out what method they were torqued and check & install the same way.we always send torque instructions with our kits

lionsm13 (01-14-2018)
Old 01-14-2018, 11:07 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by martinj
djl, do you know of a viable alternative to using torque plates? I have the S&S 110" kit and would like to check the clearances, but I'll bet there isn't an appropriate set of torque plates within 175 miles of where I live. Also, if Lionsm13's 107" kit is like mine, the rings will be file to fit.
Torque plates would be the best way. Is there a local machine shop that could fabricate a set for you? If you provide them a cylinder for a pattern the shop would have the tools for the job. George's Garage used to sell a set for $295.

I know rings are file to fit but I always check gap before filing.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:08 AM
martinj
Club Member

Received 15,187 Likes on 6,215 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Torque plates would be the best way. Is there a local machine shop that could fabricate a set for you? If you provide them a cylinder for a pattern the shop would have the tools for the job. George's Garage used to sell a set for $295.

I know rings are file to fit but I always check gap before filing.
I thought about fabricating a set like you said, or just buying a set outright. I was hoping to avoid the extra investment, though.

I get the part about checking the gap before filing. Gotta know where you're at to start with... I've been through all this stuff quite a few times, just not with a Harley.

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
cylinders don't really need to be plated for setting ring gap,but must be plated & torqued the same as they were bored to check out of round,taper & wall clearance.if their S&S,torque them as S&S recommends,if bored by a indy,find out what method they were torqued and check & install the same way.we always send torque instructions with our kits
Thanks Kirby, but my issue is that I don't have access to torque plates, but I would like to check the piston/cylinder clearances before I proceed with the teardown/assembly, and was looking for an alternative method (unlikely, I know, but checking anyway) to check the clearances without the plates. The clearances are likely fine, but as djl already said, trust-but verify.

Last edited by martinj; 01-14-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: 2nd Third of 107 kit completed