Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Over revved and it died! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 02:31 PM
ses
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just push in on the fuel disconnect fittings while you crank it over, that should tell you if it's working correctly.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:46 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Just talk to it nice. They don't like being treated that way.?..HA.. Have a friend with a CVO Dyna that does that on a regular basis. He was showing off in front of Hardies for us. My thoughts was they were going to call the police. Then I looked down at the tac and it was at 6500 rpm and I backed back.
I ask him later in private did he do that often. He said, sure, why not. It's designed to do that.
Not sure about that but I plan on mine lasting forever for me.

Good luck. If it had broken something mechanical at that RPM, you would have known.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:56 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Well ****... Did you get it fixed? What was it?

I feel dirty, like we just got used

Old 01-24-2018, 04:54 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
Well ****... Did you get it fixed? What was it?

I feel dirty, like we just got used
You have to contribute to be used, not just bounce. However, you are doing a good job of that. Get a pair that bounce out and see what chicken says.?

Old 01-24-2018, 05:04 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
You have to contribute to be used, not just bounce. However, you are doing a good job of that. Get a pair that bounce out and see what chicken says.?
If I had any knowledge of what it was, I woulda'! I swear Keep watchin', they eventually do come out

Last edited by Bafflingbs; 01-24-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:19 AM
Jagtint
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for the long delay guys. It’s really anti climatic. After changing the Crankshaft Position sensor we got spark but I still felt like I had a fuel issue. When we shot fuel into the cylinder it would fire and run for a few seconds then die. After several attempts I put it in the trailer and took it to my mechanic 2 days later. We backed it out of the trailer and he hit the start... it fired right up!!! I was in shock and told him he was a miracle worker, he thought I was punking him. So I can’t say for sure why it didn’t fire up immediately after replacing that sensor but I am back on the road now and much more careful on the throttle... for now maybe ripsaw was right, just needed to talk to her real sweet and then put her in time out for 2 days! LMAO

Old 01-29-2018, 12:44 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Too cool. What ever it takes. I have a 04 Toyota 4X4 I purchased new. Never a problem or been in for service. A year or so ago, I did not hold key in long enough and didn't start. Hit the key again and just cranked but no hint of it firing. I think it flooded. I tried later and the next day. Still no start.
Did not have time to mess with it but couple days later it fired right up.
FI systems on both cars and for sure older FI bikes once flooded get confused. I think proper procedure is to WOT never let up and crank.
Bet yours was just pouring fuel in it at WOT. When it died, the throttle body, manifold and cylinder where flooded with fuel. Took days to dry out.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-29-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:37 AM
Jagtint
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Lambda
Check the fuel quick disconnect at the fuel tank, that thing is a piece of crap, I had my engine die due to it moving, usually happened when passing cars on low gears and high revs.

That thing somehow moves and restricts the flow of fuel due to the engine vibrations, I had to disconnect and reconnect it to get the bike to fire again.

Give it a test, you won't lose anything
ok guys are you ready for this?? I did have two issues here, we fixed one problem by replacing the crankshaft position sensor. It was like $50 and it got us spark but I still had the fuel issue. I took it to the mechanic and it fired right up so we didn’t do much diagnostic work. Over the course of the last few weeks I had it not want to start 3 different times. Each time I reached down and pushed in on the fuel quick release and I could literally feel the gas shoot through the hose and pressurize. Then it would fire instantly. So it wasn’t hard to realize that quick release was faulty. We got a rebuild kit and rebuilt it but then it leaked so we bought a whole new system from the pump to the injectors. Here’s the kicker, the new quick release is a 6 ball system where the original factory was only a 3 ball system. The 3 ball system was not holding the quick release in tight enough to keep fuel flowing. The new six ball is so much tighter and NO issues so far!! I should have taken a pic of the old system to show in more detail but I trashed it. I hope this helps someone else out there that may be struggling with a similar issue.

Old 02-23-2018, 12:02 PM
103inches
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

It would be nice if the MoCo would stop cutting corners on the small stuff (like a fuel fitting), especially when it only ends up making them look bad...good info in any case.