Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Bike blew up, HELP! (might be a good thing)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 08:58 AM
Pepsimayn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All great suggestions. The bike had been ridden a bit over the past year, so it wasn't as if this was first startup after sitting for 10+ years. I'm trying to arrange pickup with him, we will see.

Old 04-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

You could buy a used motor and drop it in easily,quickly and it would not cost much. Probably for less than he paid the dealer. However a nice crate motor would be cool if you have the funds.

Have fun!

Old 04-27-2018, 01:44 PM
Pepsimayn
Tourer

Should be picking her up today. Will report back once I figure out the source of the leak.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:57 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Sounds more like a stuck needle/seat or heavy float and oil out the breather. Also could have wet sumped. All the oil running out would be from the oil tank or the breather. The only way it would come out of the engine would be if it were completely wet sumped and there was a hole in the bottom of the case.

I'd recommend diagnosing before you buy an engine and assume it "blew up"

Old 04-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Max had a good suggestion in his post about the timing plug. Repeating my thoughts, you could have couple things going on and Max is suggesting similar things.

1) In a Softail all the oil is in the tank above the engine and gravity makes it bleed down into the engine through the check valve in the oil pump. Then when you turn the engine over, it overwhelms the return & breather system and comes pouring out the vent line under the bike. In an EVO, it will typically be a breather hose under the bike somewhere with a little filter on it - most likely near the rear under the frame.

2) If the carburetor is leaking past the needle and seat and the engine has filled with oil it also means the vacuum petcock has failed. That could be the fuel out the exhaust. If enough leaked fast enough, it can run into the intake, into the cylinders and leak past the rings into the bottom end.

Does the oil in the tank smell like fuel?

ALSO - Softails must be run prior to adding oil. When they sump through the pump, and people look in the tank and it's low, they actually overfill them. The oil must be returned to the tank prior to checking level.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 04-28-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:02 PM
Pepsimayn
Tourer

Excellent feedback. So, I cranked it again today. Didn't start, and then oil rushed out a filter behind the jugs. I'll post pictures when I can get some. Pretty sure the oil smelled of gas.

Interestingly enough, the insurance names the bike as an "94 HD clone." The frame is a softail, not sure if factory harley. Most parts have HD emblems, however the motor says 80 inches, dyna wide glide.

What are the appropriate steps for fixing if that is the case? I'm going to pull the carburetor and clean it. New petcock? What else?

Old 04-28-2018, 05:17 PM
Pepsimayn
Tourer

Just pulled the dipstick, does smell like gas

Old 04-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

1) Clean and rebuild the carburetor. Replace intake seals if not done already.
2) If it has a vacuum petcock it is most likely leaving the gas flowing -it is supposed to shut off fuel flow to carb when engine is off. Best just to replace if so.
3) If its a manual petcock just make sure it shuts off and turn iff after every ride.
4) Run engine to return oil to tank.
5) Leave filter on, drain oil, fill with cheap oil that will only be used to run and flush out engine.
6) Change oil and filter.
7) Change plugs.

The following users liked this post:
Pepsimayn (04-29-2018)
Old 04-28-2018, 07:29 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,253 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Once you validates that it runs OK, swap out the tires, bleed the brakes and make sure they work without hanging up and lube all the cables. I'd check all fasteners, even change fork oil.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:01 AM
Pepsimayn
Tourer

Bike has manual petcock. Doesn't appear to be leaking. Ordering a carb rebuild kit, new plugs, and new air filter.

Quick Reply: Bike blew up, HELP! (might be a good thing)