Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Bike blew up, HELP! (might be a good thing)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 08:06 AM
Pepsimayn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike blew up, HELP! (might be a good thing)

So, my buddy inherited an older bike which appears to be a softail custom. 3,000 miles on it. It sat for a long time, >10 years. He had Harley go through it, ran ok, until now.

He had told me it was missing and not running right, tried to start it, got some pops, fuel leaking out the tail pipe, and then something gave out down below causing all of the oil in the bike to quickly run out. I'm assuming there is a crack in the case, or maybe the gasket was tired.

They told me to come get it, likely for free. Crate motor? Go through the whole thing? If so, where to even start?

Old 04-13-2018, 08:16 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

Wow. A rolling fully kitted softail with 3k miles for free? I would drop a new engine in it and never look back. Firesale the blown one or turn it into a coffee table. Sounds like you are not 'set-up' to do your own work so don't even begin.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:23 AM
Pepsimayn
Tourer

I've done a good bit of engine work, just never a full rebuild. Which crate motor?

Needs paint and a lot of TLC, but obviously grabbing it for free gives a lot of wiggle room!

Old 04-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Pepsimayn
Tourer

Bike is a 1994, by the way

Old 04-13-2018, 08:48 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

Sky and wallet is the limit. Being a '94 Custom I would go with an S&S Pan or Shovel. And perhaps a a Springer front end. Find a shop that will take yours for some credit value.

Anyway, this is going to be one of those 'opinion' threads. Just go get the bike and start at one end. Assess what you have, take your time and you have a better idea after some hands-on work and more thought. Also thinking your are on a budget, only you know what is best for you. Repair is probably cheaper.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:54 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,336 Likes on 5,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Pepsimayn
So, my buddy inherited an older bike which appears to be a softail custom. 3,000 miles on it. It sat for a long time, >10 years. He had Harley go through it, ran ok, until now.

He had told me it was missing and not running right, tried to start it, got some pops, fuel leaking out the tail pipe, and then something gave out down below causing all of the oil in the bike to quickly run out. I'm assuming there is a crack in the case, or maybe the gasket was tired.

They told me to come get it, likely for free. Crate motor? Go through the whole thing? If so, where to even start?
Probably not much wrong with it...I would expect a bike sitting for that long to puke oil out the breather...and if not properly stored the carb would need work/replaced

Old 04-13-2018, 09:01 AM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Probably not much wrong with it...I would expect a bike sitting for that long to puke oil out the breather...and if not properly stored the carb would need work/replaced
This! Be fore you spend a bunch of money. Check these two things real well.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:01 AM
Pepsimayn
Tourer

I don't want to spend so much as to be like buying a new bike. Love the springer idea, it's been a while since I've had one

Old 04-13-2018, 09:07 AM
Pepsimayn
Tourer

Originally Posted by Lunchboxx
This! Be fore you spend a bunch of money. Check these two things real well.
The crankcase breather? Where is this located on the 94? I'm not even sure if it's a factory motor. Needless to say the guy who built it isn't poor.

Old 04-13-2018, 09:14 AM
Tired
Elite HDF Member
Received 4,493 Likes on 1,703 Posts

What did you're buddy mean when he said he had Harley go through it? Did they go completely through the engine? Bottom end, heads, etc? Or did they just change the oil and put fresh gas in it? Did it puke oil out of the case or did the oil disappear into the sump? I'd inspect it very closely for case damage and if you don't find any then pull the plugs and see if it will turn over by hand. Then has it got compression? It may be something simple or it may be a boat anchor. I'd check it out though before I popped for a new engine.

Last edited by Tired; 04-13-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Bike blew up, HELP! (might be a good thing)