Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Loss of Power and High Oil Temp

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 07:19 AM
LeadDoggy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of Power and High Oil Temp

Finally got the time to take the Harley for a ride after a long, cold winter. The engine oil temp is now hitting 300*. Oil temp has never ever reached that before, usually ran around the 240*. Not only is the oil temp high, but engine power also drops. The oil pressure does drop with the excessive oil temperature. Did have ECM codes of P0132 and P0152 front and rear oxygen sensors High. Cleared codes and they have not yet returned after one ride.

It's a 2008 Street Glide w/ Screaming Eagle 255 cams and the download from Harley
Harley oil cooler and temperature gauge
Using Harley SNY3 oil

Thanks
Jim S

Old 06-17-2018, 08:50 AM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

When the engine power drops, if you let off the gas in gear and it feels like you have the brakes on, I would be checking for sumping.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:34 PM
ghost183
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

jim..
assuming your oil level is spot on, and since youre running a tuner, and if youre temp management is activated, that might explain the loss of power, kills one cylinder until you apply the throttle again, but at 300*, IIRC the ECU is protecting the engine due to overheating, hence loss of power

but i second ed suggestion about the sumping, excessively thinned oil might be pooling in your crank case not allowing the engine to free spin but your underlying issue is the temp.. when was the last time you changed the oil? our engines rely ALOT on the oil for engine cooling, even without an oil cooler, it cools the engine alot, so if youre oil is old, and bad, meaning not clean it might not be doing its full job

also.. to check for sumping, pull the crank drain with the tank cap ON, about 3/4 cup of oil should come out (coffee cup size), if slightly more, no issues, but if alot more, that might be your problem, oil isnt travelling thru the engine, its stuck in limbo down low

have to figure out whats going on first

Last edited by ghost183; 06-19-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:22 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,500 Posts

Loss of power and high oil temps are classic symptoms of sumping. Not sure how that occurred while parked but the first thing I would check.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:10 PM
LeadDoggy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
When the engine power drops, if you let off the gas in gear and it feels like you have the brakes on, I would be checking for sumping.
The engine power loss is more apparent when I'm rolling on the throttle. It just does not want to rev or pick up speed. When I let off the throttle is does not feel like I am applying the brakes.....Thanks

Old 06-20-2018, 07:14 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

I believe you are sumping. The brakes comment is how many people describe it.

Last edited by Ed Ramberger; 06-20-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:20 PM
LeadDoggy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ghost183
jim..
assuming your oil level is spot on, and since youre running a tuner, and if youre temp management is activated, that might explain the loss of power, kills one cylinder until you apply the throttle again, but at 300*, IIRC the ECU is protecting the engine due to overheating, hence loss of power

but i second ed suggestion about the sumping, excessively thinned oil might be pooling in your crank case not allowing the engine to free spin but your underlying issue is the temp.. when was the last time you changed the oil? our engines rely ALOT on the oil for engine cooling, even without an oil cooler, it cools the engine alot, so if youre oil is old, and bad, meaning not clean it might not be doing its full job

also.. to check for sumping, pull the crank drain with the tank cap ON, about 3/4 cup of oil should come out (coffee cup size), if slightly more, no issues, but if alot more, that might be your problem, oil isnt travelling thru the engine, its stuck in limbo down low

have to figure out whats going on first
Oil level is Spot on and it was changed prior to taking the first ride this season. It idles normal so then I would believe that one cylinder is not being shut down. Power loss is way before the oil reaching 300*.
As for the possible Sumping, I have read that the amount of oil in the crank case is more like a few ounces.
Cams were installed 7000 miles ago, it was a very cold winter here also. Maybe the O rings were damaged during cam install and they let loose with the cold winter????

Old 06-20-2018, 07:25 PM
LeadDoggy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djl
Loss of power and high oil temps are classic symptoms of sumping. Not sure how that occurred while parked but the first thing I would check.
I'm leaning towards the sumping conclusion. How much oil should be in crankcase after it's been rode for 15 minutes? Thinking maybe the O rings for the oil pump didn't like the cold winter and or they were damaged during install of the cams 7000 miles ago. Thanks

Old 06-20-2018, 07:37 PM
Nighthawk84
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty sure someone swapped an m8 with a stage 4 in your bike while you were sleeping, obviously!

Old 06-20-2018, 07:41 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member

Refer to posts 2 & 6.

Quick Reply: Loss of Power and High Oil Temp