Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

S&S 107 kit with S&S MR103 cams ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 11:09 AM
preacherbo
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default S&S 107 kit with S&S MR103 cams ???

Well it's about time for my build to begin. I have a 2008 Street Glide with a stock airbox running a K&N filter and Vance and Hines 4.5" oval exhaust. I have a DynaJet Power Vision tuner that has my bike running good with the current set up.

I am planning to put in an S&S 107 Big Bore Kit. I plan to keep the stock heads. I want down low grunt and am not overly worried about squeezing out all possible high rpm horsepower. I called S&S tech and told them what I had in mind and asked for a suggestion on the appropriate Cam for my build. The tech guy suggested the MR103 easy start cam. It sound's like a good match for my riding style.

Any confirmations on this or other suggestions would be appreciated. I talk to my mechanic this coming week about ordering the parts.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:11 AM
BernieR
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Preacherbo, I am looking at that same setup for my 11 Road King. If you go this route, let us know how it runs.. Hoping another member is already running this and will chime in.

The following users liked this post:
preacherbo (09-29-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 08:07 PM
preacherbo
Cruiser

Hey Bernie, my bike is at my Mechanics now, getting the S&S 107 Big Bore Kit and MR103 cams installed. It should be done by Wednesday. I will post on how it turns out. I have a Dynajet PowerVision Tuner. They sent me a base tune for that particular build, so it should be fairly drivable when I pick it up. Will probably need to take it to a dyno shop to get it tuned in properly.

Old 05-03-2023, 11:30 PM
JKSHYT
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by preacherbo
Hey Bernie, my bike is at my Mechanics now, getting the S&S 107 Big Bore Kit and MR103 cams installed. It should be done by Wednesday. I will post on how it turns out. I have a Dynajet PowerVision Tuner. They sent me a base tune for that particular build, so it should be fairly drivable when I pick it up. Will probably need to take it to a dyno shop to get it tuned in properly.
this is an old post. Are you happy with the setup?

Old 05-04-2023, 11:39 AM
preacherbo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JKSHYT
this is an old post. Are you happy with the setup?
Yes, I am very happy with the set up. My S&S upgrade is in it's 6th year and has been a flawless engine. My gas mileage actually increased after the Big Bore kit and new cams were installed. I went from 38 MPG to 42. Never saw that coming. I had it tuned for torque and not peak horsepower. I love the set up. Couldn't be happier.

memphisharley (05-04-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 07:30 AM
JKSHYT
Tourer

Originally Posted by preacherbo
Yes, I am very happy with the set up. My S&S upgrade is in it's 6th year and has been a flawless engine. My gas mileage actually increased after the Big Bore kit and new cams were installed. I went from 38 MPG to 42. Never saw that coming. I had it tuned for torque and not peak horsepower. I love the set up. Couldn't be happier.
getting heads done now and jugs punched out as well. My builder has me leaning towards a 585.
Says it'll be set for tq even with this cam

Old 05-05-2023, 12:42 PM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 716 Likes on 566 Posts

just so you know, the S&S 585 is a mid range top end type cam,,,,it will put up good numbers but they will be higher in the rpm range,,,,,not neccessarily the best choice for a bagger.
m

jbarr1 (05-05-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 04:45 PM
JKSHYT
Tourer

Originally Posted by marcodarq
just so you know, the S&S 585 is a mid range top end type cam,,,,it will put up good numbers but they will be higher in the rpm range,,,,,not neccessarily the best choice for a bagger.
m
that's what I thought too, he's telling me out of the gate my torque will be perfect, but hp will be sacrifice on the top end.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:55 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

Originally Posted by JKSHYT
getting heads done now and jugs punched out as well. My builder has me leaning towards a 585.
Says it'll be set for tq even with this cam
What CR?

Old 05-06-2023, 05:40 AM
JKSHYT
Tourer

Originally Posted by max headflow
what cr?
10.2:1

Quick Reply: S&S 107 kit with S&S MR103 cams ???