Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

HD not supplying SE cam tools in UK

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 12:18 PM
rpl63fxdf
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks guys - I knew this was the place to start looking

Thanks for the suggested suppliers - I need to check shipping costs.

I'll admit to being fairly kack-handed as a mechanic, and wanted the specific tools to try to insure myself against me screwing up my engine. Trouble is, I can't face paying £60 an hour for my local dealer to install. I enjoy working on my FatBob, and get great satisfaction from improving it anyway anyhow.

I'll search out some online vids and threads, and maybe I'll be brave enough to try something as "complicated" as just using a brass drift and a couple of wood blocks.......

Oh, yes, I have got the Haynes and Clymer manuals - ESSENTIAL !!!!!

Last edited by rpl63fxdf; 11-29-2018 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 11-29-2018, 02:32 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by rpl63fxdf

I'll admit to being fairly kack-handed as a mechanic, and wanted the specific tools to try to insure myself against me screwing up my engine. Trouble is, I can't face paying £60 an hour for my local dealer to install. I enjoy working on my FatBob, and get great satisfaction from improving it anyway anyhow.

I'll search out some online vids and threads, and maybe I'll be brave enough to try something as "complicated" as just using a brass drift and a couple of wood blocks.......

Oh, yes, I have got the Haynes and Clymer manuals - ESSENTIAL !!!!!
Where are you located in the UK? We do have some indys worth using, who can reduce costs relative to a dealer. You'll find the factory FSM even more helpful, the other two are very general and tend to miss stuff out.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:00 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

When buying from the USA be aware that shipping costs are very high, also you will get hit by HM Customs and Excise for import duties and VAT, which will be applied to the total value of your purchase, including shipping etc. I recently bought a secondhand gas tank for 100 dollars, shipping cost the same, duties etc added a further 20% or 40 dollars, so a total of $240 (exchange rate doesn't matter for an example!). That's the bad news, the better news is that there is stuff available over there that we simply can't get here, also secondhand things are cheaper and much more readily available. Check Ebay USA, as many traders' sales now include UK taxes etc prepaid, which gets them delivered much quicker. Otherwise you receive a demand for payment before your goodies are delivered. Been there many times over the years....

Last edited by grbrown; 11-29-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:17 PM
rpl63fxdf
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Sir Graham. I'm indeed from darn sarf - Sussex, member of the 1066 HOG Chapter (but, not very active).

I really do want to do this myself, where do I get a factory manual from?

I'm considering the import route, and will mull this over the weekend. There is an indy down her (Worthing http://www.sussexrollingroad.co.uk/) but would prefer the diy route.

Thanks again for your advice.

Richard

Old 11-29-2018, 03:23 PM
grbrown
Club Member

Richard,

There are 2-3 indys in that locality as best I recall, although names don't come to mind at present, in the outer regions of London. Your only source of an FSM is a dealer, the darned things ain't cheap, but there is none better! If they don't stock one they can get it for you. You'll get your money back, and more, on this job alone. It's the size of a large old fashioned telaphone directory. My 2011 Sporty one is 40mm thick!

Old 11-29-2018, 04:00 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I really do want to do this myself, where do I get a factory manual from?
From a factory authorized HD dealer.
Invest in the HD speciality tools. Then maybe you can rent them to other people in your area to recoup your investment.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:24 PM
major105bc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,258 Likes on 1,551 Posts

I just recently bought some of the Heartland tools and they are well worth it. You can find them on Amazon. I bought the TC (88, 96, 103, and 110) inner cam bearing puller/installer and the Evo inner cam bearing puller/installer for much less than HD or JIMs wants for the TC88 only tool.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:56 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Richard,
I have a well documented, with photos, step by step cam/tensioner/inner cam bearing install that was done by one of your countrymen back in the day. He had a website wherein he documented several different DIY procedures on his bikes; he went by Harley Hog and his website was Harley Hog's Lair. His family name is Tierney but I don't recall his first name or where in the country he is located. After years of battling with the MoCo, he finally had to shut down the website which was very informative and took a log of work on his part to develop, grow and maintain and it was shameful that the MoCo shut him down.

Anyway, if you PM me your email address, I will send you the file which should be of great benefit in completing your DIY project. Mr. Tierney did use the HD tool to R/R the inner cam bearings but that could be worked around with the use of a blind hole puller with the correct collet size, 7/8" IIRC and using one of your take out cam shafts to drive the new bearings into the bores. He used a split bearing puller arrangement to R/R the outer cam bearings from the cams and the "oven/freezer" method to R/R the cams (with bearings) from/to the cam plate.

The following users liked this post:
rpl63fxdf (12-02-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 03:59 AM
yobtaf103
Road Master
Received 274 Likes on 176 Posts

Hi all. Chester HD in the UK have informed me that HD are no longer supplying the Screamin Eagle Cam tools. (94107-09A, 94078-09, 93979-10, 94144-09). I just bought the SE255 cams and all the installation stuff, but can't order the tools !! Doh !!!

Anyone else heard anything? Any other UK sources?

Thanks
Hi Did you know if you join the Harley Riders Club GB, they have a tool loan service all you pay is postage

rpl63fxdf (12-02-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 08:38 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior

Received 565 Likes on 393 Posts

If you look. Factory manuals can be found online in pdf form for about $15 US dollars.

Ronnie's HD has most of the IPB's online. They just don't allow you to copy and paste.

rpl63fxdf (12-02-2018)

Quick Reply: HD not supplying SE cam tools in UK