Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Labor cost to install S&S 110” kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:06 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Labor cost to install S&S 110” kit

Anyone install or have installed the S&S 110” kit on 96” engine? I’m trying to figure out what the job will cost for a good mechanic to do the install for me so I can guess how long it will be before I can afford to do it. I already expect the kit and other related parts needed will probably be around $3k but I have no idea what the labor charge would be. Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:36 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryMcQ
Anyone install or have installed the S&S 110” kit on 96” engine? I’m trying to figure out what the job will cost for a good mechanic to do the install for me so I can guess how long it will be before I can afford to do it. I already expect the kit and other related parts needed will probably be around $3k but I have no idea what the labor charge would be. Thanks in advance for any helpful info.
now that theve been out for a while,the 110 kits have shown numerous failures,my advice go with the proven 107" build

The following users liked this post:
TerryMcQ (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:44 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Too open ended for an accurate reply; unless the "related parts" and associated machine work are known, impossible to guess. Even with the best planning, I have not seen many that weren't affected by "budget creep", so plan well but have a contingency fund.

Last edited by djl; 02-14-2019 at 09:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by djl:
pgreer (02-20-2023), TerryMcQ (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 11:31 AM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Originally Posted by djl
Too open ended for an accurate reply; unless the "related parts" and associated machine work are known, impossible to guess. Even with the best planning, I have not seen many that weren't affected by "budget creep", so plan well but have a contingency fund.
djl, forgive my ignorance but I'm relatively new to all this. Are you referring to possibly having the heads machined or some other machining? I guess am trying to figure a base labor price if all goes according to plan and the contingency fund of course gets added when and if necessary. I have not had any major work done where I took my 2009 Low Rider to a mechanic. I bought it with a salvage title and put "new" used tins on and lights, Rinehart exhaust, Mustang seat, forward controls, K&N air filter, throttle cables, etc. I did all the miscellaneous stuff necessary to plate and insure it. Now that I want to get more power than what I guess is referred to as Stage 1, I am hoping to get an idea of what I should expect mechanics to charge to install this or similar kit. I know what they charge on average per hour but I don't know how much time to expect this build to take. If I had to guess, I would think a good mechanic could do it in a 8 hour day but I could be full of ****. I was an auto mechanic back in the 70s and we rebuilt engines in a couple days but I have no idea how the tasks might compare beside guessing.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:33 AM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Kirby, are you saying your kits are better? Thanks for responding and for the info on the S&S. I had heard good things about S&S from a friend who has riden for over 40 years. I'm an old new rider, just started 1-1/2 years ago at age 57.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:33 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

talk to kirby or scott (hillside cycles). they will build you a custom combo for your specific needs and you can install or have installed.
good luck!

TerryMcQ (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 02:58 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

Memphis, is that hillside in N.Y.? Do you know anything about Jim's engines?

Old 02-14-2019, 03:23 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

Memphis, is that hillside in N.Y.? Do you know anything about Jim's engines?
yes..hillside cycle in NY.
no clue about Jim's.

TerryMcQ (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 03:32 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

djl, forgive my ignorance but I'm relatively new to all this. Are you referring to possibly having the heads machined or some other machining? I guess am trying to figure a base labor price if all goes according to plan and the contingency fund of course gets added when and if necessary. I have not had any major work done where I took my 2009 Low Rider to a mechanic. I bought it with a salvage title and put "new" used tins on and lights, Rinehart exhaust, Mustang seat, forward controls, K&N air filter, throttle cables, etc. I did all the miscellaneous stuff necessary to plate and insure it. Now that I want to get more power than what I guess is referred to as Stage 1, I am hoping to get an idea of what I should expect mechanics to charge to install this or similar kit. I know what they charge on average per hour but I don't know how much time to expect this build to take. If I had to guess, I would think a good mechanic could do it in a 8 hour day but I could be full of ****. I was an auto mechanic back in the 70s and we rebuilt engines in a couple days but I have no idea how the tasks might compare beside guessing.
Stage I, in Harley speak is exhaust and A/C, which you have done; your plan is way past Stage I. The S&S kit is a "bolt on" kit so a competent tech could do it in 8 hours if all you want is the top end replaced. However, does that mean you want your heads R/R'd without even a valve job and new guide seals? Maybe might want to invest in some head work to optimize the performance of the increased displacement? Do you want to retain the OEM throttle body or perhaps have it bored or replaced with a higher capacity unit? What about fuel management and tuning? Those are all things I would think you might be considering with a substantial increase in displacement and all are cost upcharges to the basic wrench turning.

Considering the work you have done on the bike so far, why not take on the project yourself? Not to over simplify but it's just following instructions and turning wrenches, the magic is in the tuning. You should consider contacting Scott/Hillside Cycles (yes, NY) or Kirby/Veetwin for a 107" kit which could be had for less than the 110 kit and would perform very well. It would be worth a couple of phone calls before pulling the trigger.

The following 2 users liked this post by djl:
pgreer (02-20-2023), TerryMcQ (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 04:56 PM
TerryMcQ
Road Captain

djl, I forgot to say I also got the Vance & Hines Fuelpak FP3 when I installed the Rinehart 2-into-1 pipes, made a nice immediately noticeable difference. I should have realized that if I put that kit on, it's best to do the heads too. What about the transmission? You say to get the 107" kit but does that do all necessary or would I still also need to upgrade or at least refresh the heads? Am I right in thinking the best thing to do is get whatever kit I decide on, do the heads, and get the better throttle body? As for doing it myself, I've thought about it and I'm not completely decided yet but I am a bit burned out from a lot of years of hard labor and the knees, hands, shoulders, back, etc. rebel too easily. That's why I need a rough idea of what it would cost to have an expert do the whole job. It would be great if I could have Hillside or Veetwin do the job but I probably need to find someone in Indianapolis area where I live. Just not sure how to know who is good unless someone on here can recommend an expert in the Indy area. I know some companies names but I don't KNOW them. Have you heard of anyone in the Indy area?

Quick Reply: Labor cost to install S&S 110” kit