Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

top end rattle

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 06:17 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts
Default top end rattle

I'm hearing a little top end noise at the top of 2nd and 3rd gear under hard acceleration. its not excessive but I hear it. bike has been dyno tuned and the noise has started after the tune. I loaded my FM tune which I ran prior to the dyno tune with no top end noise that I could hear and I have the same issue. when i picked the bike up the tuner informed me that it sounded like I had a weak lifter which I had experienced prior to taking the bike in. top end was tapping a tad on initial start up. got the bike back and installed a set of the Johnson hylift lifters and no more issues on start up. however, I still have the slight valve train rattle at the top of 2nd and 3rd. I am not receiving any kr on the PV but I went ahead and removed timing and added fuel in the range I am experiencing the noise. I even pulled timing prior to that range.
if I need to remove the rocker box what do I need to look for.
sounds like its only the front cylinder. any ideas. running s&s pushrods at 4/3. should I try another flat or 2 on that cylinder.
thanks

Last edited by memphisharley; 05-13-2019 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added rocker box question..
Old 05-13-2019, 08:39 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Have a look around my website, sounds like you might be experiencing rocker shaft tapping... there is a cure

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 05-13-2019, 09:50 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Have a look around my website, sounds like you might be experiencing rocker shaft tapping... there is a cure

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters
thanks john..I failed to mention I already have the rock outs installed.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (05-13-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 12:30 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,255 Likes on 3,627 Posts

It's you lifters.. Depending on the Johnson Hylifts you got, they are probably collapsing at higher Rs. The best way to get rid of the noise that I know of is to adjust the pushrod 1/2 turn off of bottomed. You can also add travel limiters and adjust per instructions.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:14 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
It's you lifters.. Depending on the Johnson Hylifts you got, they are probably collapsing at higher Rs. The best way to get rid of the noise that I know of is to adjust the pushrod 1/2 turn off of bottomed. You can also add travel limiters and adjust per instructions.
thanks for the reply max.
I had the same noise with the woods lifters so I swapped in the Johnson's.
the noise starts around 2300-3000 rpm. I'll look into the limiters.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:44 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by memphisharley
thanks for the reply max.
I had the same noise with the woods lifters so I swapped in the Johnson's.
the noise starts around 2300-3000 rpm. I'll look into the limiters.

Well when you said the top of 2nd and 3rd, I assumed you meant say above 4000.. Woods gets his lifters from Johnson so it may be a lifter collapse issue but it does seem pretty low.. I installed a set of johnsons in my 07 egc when I rebuilt the top end about 12000 miles ago They rattled pretty good starting at about 4000 (oil temps in the 210F range) with the adjustment in the middle of lifter travel so I adjusted them to 1/2 turn off of bottom. They now only start to rattle above about 5000 rpm.. Bike has a Woods 777 cam in it which is likely part of the reason for my rattle.

Try adjusting them 1/2 turn from bottomed to see if the noise moves up in RPM range.. If so and it still bothers you, try limiters or a different brand of lifter.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:38 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

ok..something just occurred to me. when I replaced my lifters I saw a witness mark approximately 2 inches from the top on the front exhaust pushrod. could my rocker plate need realignment. I believe it happened when i installed the rock outs. last night I readjusted the pushrods on this cylinder and this morning when spinning the pushrods i can feel a slight drag when spinning the exhaust pushrod. i do not feel the drag 360° just one spot during the turn. could it be its touching the rocker plate. intake pushrod is smooth.
looks like I'll be pulling the rocker cover.
anyone had this issue before.
thanks

Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

It's not touching the rocker supports but more than likely touching the upper pushrod tube. There is a big cult around fixing this but I've seen the marks on a quiet motor. The best position seems to be with the rocker support pushed to the left right side of the motor while tightening down. Boring the upper part of the can get you some clearance.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 05-14-2019 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:22 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
It's not touching the rocker supports but more than likely touching the upper pushrod tube. There is a big cult around fixing this but I've seen the marks on a quiet motor. The best position seems to be with the rocker support pushed to the left side of the motor while tightening down. Boring the upper part of the can get you some clearance.
I found centering the support plate makes for pretty quiet. A well know tuner once told me pulling plate all way toward cam side (right) makes for least contact. You say push it left side....boy that’s the full gamut right there.

Old 05-14-2019, 12:49 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
I found centering the support plate makes for pretty quiet. A well know tuner once told me pulling plate all way toward cam side (right) makes for least contact. You say push it left side....boy that’s the full gamut right there.
You're right, I got it wrong.. Don't know my right from left.. Push it towards the cam side of the bike.

Quick Reply: top end rattle