Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

88ci Cam Chain Tensioner 21k Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 09:15 AM
Tsmith57
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 88ci Cam Chain Tensioner 21k Questions

Just purchased a 2003 super glide with 21k miles all original. Located Gettsburg Pennsylvania area. Nothing has been done with the tensioners yet and would like to ponder the knowledge of the members here. I will be using a shop to perform any work performed, and was wondering if there are any recommended shops in my area. Want this to be done correct and don't want to risk my ability.

Either I will be just replacing the cam shoes for now and was wondering average cost for a shop to put in the cyco shoes (depending on the cost of the following option).

Or my preferred option of going hydraulic tensioners, pistons cams to benefit for everyday usage etc, other parts needed and labor. With this option I was wondering what the best brand kits or parts and the favorite cams of the members for streetability and 2up riding. Pricing?

Most of the posts I've seen searching are a couple years old and didn't know what kind of options I have here in 2019. Thanks! Would like to get a fix as soon as possible as I'm worried the original shoes will fail from the horror stories I've seen

Old 05-28-2019, 12:48 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

How capable are you of taking off the cam box cover?

Old 05-28-2019, 01:15 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

No need to spend the money on hydraulic tensioners and roller chains; save the $$ for cams and tune. Replace the OEM tensioners with a set of CYCO tensioners and replace the inner and outer cam bearings along with the cam install. '03 model year lifters were "B" type and if not noisy, no need to replace at 21K miles IMHO. The $$ saved by passing on hydro tensioners and roller chains would be better spent on a Power Vision license and a dyno tune, if a local tuner is sellling licences; most do these days and will provide the customer with the tune on a thumb drive. Andrews 21 or S&S 509 cams would be a good choice for an TC88.

This assumes that being a 2003, the previous owner has paid the Harley "tax" for the Stage I upgrade of intake and exhaust. If this has not been done consider backing up and getting this done first or, if funds allow, do it all at once.

The following 2 users liked this post by djl:
duglaura&flhti (06-21-2019), Mattbastard (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 04:57 PM
Tsmith57
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
How capable are you of taking off the cam box cover?
More than capable 😂. Either way at 17 years old going to do something in the near future. Just looking for opinions on the best routes to take. Harley noob here. Just started riding not too long ago on a 1999 sportster I have.

Thanks djl, called two local shops a couple hours ago asking for an estimate on bearings, cyco shoes, cam, a/c and rejet (dynas are still carb 2003). No reply from either today. Bike has Vance & Hines pipes already only thing aftermarket on it. Looks like this is the best route to take

Last edited by Tsmith57; 05-28-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:45 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsmith57
Thanks djl, called two local shops a couple hours ago asking for an estimate on bearings, cyco shoes, cam, a/c and rejet (dynas are still carb 2003). No reply from either today. Bike has Vance & Hines pipes already only thing aftermarket on it. Looks like this is the best route to take
EFI Dynas were also available in '03. Anyway, carbed motors still need more than a rejet. Stock timing is a bit aggressive for cammed motors and a programmable ignition should be part of the plan as well. You could probably get by without it but a proper tune would include rejet and a modified ignition curve. I tuned my all bore 107" carbed motor on a dyno to get AFR right from idle through partial and WOT. Installed a DTT TC88 ignition and ran different settings until I got a modified ignition curve from a friend that was better than the DTT settings.

I suspect you are looking at $1500 plus for the work you outlined above depending on the shop labor rate.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:59 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

Go with Harley's shoes and gaskets. They will be there for another 50k 15 + years. Forget any upgrade. Hydraulic is not an upgrade. Since your inner cam sprocket is part of cam for the link chain, it will remain link. So only outer will get roller chain. It's the chain, not the hydraulic that prevents wear.

With a roller chain, once the outer links groove in, chain rolls and wear stops.

Shoes and a few gaskets, Check oil pressure with and external gage screwed into pressure fitting. But still inspection oil pump for wear, replace the o-ring in it. Also inspect the inner cam needle bearings.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:44 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Go with Harley's shoes and gaskets. They will be there for another 50k 15 + years. Forget any upgrade. Hydraulic is not an upgrade. Since your inner cam sprocket is part of cam for the link chain, it will remain link. So only outer will get roller chain. It's the chain, not the hydraulic that prevents wear.

With a roller chain, once the outer links groove in, chain rolls and wear stops.

Shoes and a few gaskets, Check oil pressure with and external gage screwed into pressure fitting. But still inspection oil pump for wear, replace the o-ring in it. Also inspect the inner cam needle bearings.
This. Don't let anyone talk you into upgrading to hydraulic, it's not necessary. Sure the shoes are basically permanent with hydraulic but the spring loaded ones go 30K-50K anyway, sometimes longer if you take a few measures towards longevity (Cyco shoes, sanding/polishing the chain, dino oils).

Old 05-29-2019, 06:30 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW

DO NOT use HD shoes,at the very least go with CYCO shoes,OEM orange pads start doing damage from mile one.best is a gear drive if your run out will allow it

The following 3 users liked this post by prodrag1320:
Campy Roadie (05-29-2019), Greezey Rider (05-29-2019), jbarr1 (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 02:08 PM
Tsmith57
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
This. Don't let anyone talk you into upgrading to hydraulic, it's not necessary. Sure the shoes are basically permanent with hydraulic but the spring loaded ones go 30K-50K anyway, sometimes longer if you take a few measures towards longevity (Cyco shoes, sanding/polishing the chain, dino oils).

So Dino oils help? Original owner had service records and always ran conventional oil in the motor. I just did an oil change and used Mobil 1 vtwin synthetic though. Rotella t4 15w40 in primary and mob1 75w90 in tranny

Last edited by Tsmith57; 05-29-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:17 PM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsmith57
Just purchased a 2003 super glide with 21k miles all original. Located Gettsburg Pennsylvania area. Nothing has been done with the tensioners yet and would like to ponder the knowledge of the members here. I will be using a shop to perform any work performed, and was wondering if there are any recommended shops in my area. Want this to be done correct and don't want to risk my ability.

Either I will be just replacing the cam shoes for now and was wondering average cost for a shop to put in the cyco shoes (depending on the cost of the following option).

Or my preferred option of going hydraulic tensioners, pistons cams to benefit for everyday usage etc, other parts needed and labor. With this option I was wondering what the best brand kits or parts and the favorite cams of the members for streetability and 2up riding. Pricing?

Most of the posts I've seen searching are a couple years old and didn't know what kind of options I have here in 2019. Thanks! Would like to get a fix as soon as possible as I'm worried the original shoes will fail from the horror stories I've seen
Just have the Cyco shoes put in way cheaper!

Quick Reply: 88ci Cam Chain Tensioner 21k Questions