Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

How far can you push a 96" TC Head

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 07:55 AM
Lambda
Cruiser
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
I like to see my 110 heads in the 325+ area,really hard to put a number on what 300cfm heads would do on a 124" without knowing the rest of the build,but even on a very aggressive build I wouldn't expect more than 130,maybe 135
That would confirm my suspects, I had a 107 pushing 120hp (on dyno) and while the 124 feels stronger in the torque dept, it doesn't feel nowhere near like a 150 hp bike would feel.

Originally Posted by target64
On my 124 build using 110 heads Cycle Rama had them flowing @ 340 cfms and set the compression for 11.8 running there 650 cams and its reached 150 hp so your going to need more flow and raise up the compression and a better exhaust, I built a Fm 117 using DVR heads and a TW999-6 cams along with a 58mm TB running the dyna FM E series exhaust for forum member the MADD GHOST and his numbers are very low for a 117 build, the tuner told him the same that something is holding him back on the power department. the tuner removed the baffle out of the pipe and the bike picked up 10 hp. but its too loud for his liking!
On the future I'll probably go with a new set of heads and sell mine, go up to 12:1 along with a 62mm TB, the thing about the exhaust is weird since FM themselves run them at 150hp without issues, the thing is I dont know if with or without the baffle, i'll try to remove the baffle and see how the engine reacts to the change.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:06 AM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Lambda
That would confirm my suspects, I had a 107 pushing 120hp (on dyno) and while the 124 feels stronger in the torque dept, it doesn't feel nowhere near like a 150 hp bike would feel.

On the future I'll probably go with a new set of heads and sell mine, go up to 12:1 along with a 62mm TB, the thing about the exhaust is weird since FM themselves run them at 150hp without issues, the thing is I dont know if with or without the baffle, i'll try to remove the baffle and see how the engine reacts to the change.
I am just be honest he had me remove the level B heads and switched to the DVR heads after his first dyno tune session. and even had me switch out his stock compensator to a solid one made by evolution performance and put it back on dyno, then called me back up wanting to switch out cams and try another set of heads from another company. i told him he should try another 2 into 1 exhaust first!

Old 06-30-2019, 08:14 AM
Lambda
Cruiser

I am just be honest he had me remove the level B heads and switched to the DVR heads after his first dyno tune session. and even had me switch out his stock compensator to a solid one made by evolution performance and put it back on dyno, then called me back up wanting to switch out cams and try another set of heads from another company. i told him he should try another 2 into 1 exhaust first!
I do appreciate your input and suggestions, the thing is, how many exhaust for dynas are out there that supports 150 hp besides the boarzilla?

I do run a solid comp since mine lasted less than 1000 miles once I installed the 124 however that won't make any diff (besides the lack of rattling in the primary of course)

Old 06-30-2019, 08:30 AM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 334 Likes on 235 Posts

Target what did that build finally end up making? And can he put another pipe
on just for a dyno pull experiment?

Old 06-30-2019, 08:52 AM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior

I do appreciate your input and suggestions, the thing is, how many exhaust for dynas are out there that supports 150 hp besides the boarzilla?)
If your serious about peak hp look into SPFabrication custom pipes for dyna or Burns. You’ll pay more but these are often used in all out effort builds. Production pipes are very very rarely hitting 150+ especially on non baggers.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:43 AM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
Target what did that build finally end up making? And can he put another pipe
on just for a dyno pull experiment?
118 horse and it was on two different dyno's he was looking in to that last time i talked to him.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:12 AM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior

118 horse and it was on two different dyno's he was looking in to that last time i talked to him.
Wow that’s low for a well built 117.
As you know I’ve done multiple 124 builds w no expense spared and been a few shy of 150 on a couple. Hard to do, could I have chosen a higher level head porter?....probably. But seeing I ride em like a grandpa I’m sure I don’t need it haha!
And one build was a 110 head casting, geez man who should I call next....need an outfit that actually sends out flow charts instead of just telling you what it does.

Last edited by ntraindavefl; 06-30-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:45 AM
Lambda
Cruiser

That's indeed a low number for a 117, I had that power on my 107, was the major thing the exhaust? Because it seems really low

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
If your serious about peak hp look into SPFabrication custom pipes for dyna or Burns. You’ll pay more but these are often used in all out effort builds. Production pipes are very very rarely hitting 150+ especially on non baggers.
Will look, money is no issue, want to build an ocasional drag strip bike, plus fast harleys are a VERY RARE thing over here, it's always fun to impress people with a slow and noisy HD.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:57 AM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member

That's indeed a low number for a 117, I had that power on my 107, was the major thing the exhaust? Because it seems really low

I believe its a combination between the heads and exhaust, i think the madd ghost said the heads have a raised port but only flowed in the 280 range!

Will look, money is no issue, want to build an ocasional drag strip bike, plus fast harleys are a VERY RARE thing over here, it's always fun to impress people with a slow and noisy HD.
that is true especially when those sport bikes pull along side you and you walk away from them and when you get to a stop sign just to see the look in there face! priceless!

Old 06-30-2019, 01:12 PM
Lambda
Cruiser

I believe its a combination between the heads and exhaust, i think the madd ghost said the heads have a raised port but only flowed in the 280 range!
There must have been a weird thing somewhere, I had DVR raised heads on my old 107 and it was pushing 118 to the ground with the 999-6A cams, and a pro pipe.

Quick Reply: How far can you push a 96" TC Head