Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Engine dies while riding, difficult to reststart

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 08:23 PM
deluxegal
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine dies while riding, difficult to reststart

i am looking for suggestiions on why my 2005 Softail Deluxe ( Carburetor ) cranks fine, runs fine, until it gets warmed up. When i have been riding about an hour into the ride the engine will stall out. No warning, no choking down, just quits. It has done it going slow, like 2nd gear and fast ,5th gear at 70 mph. Sometimes it will crank back up and other times it takes abit to get it goin. I have had it worked on several times, 2 differernt mechanics. I have not taken it to Harley , that is what i want to do but hubby says no. Both mechanics have not be able to replicate the issue. So then it looks like I am the issue ( I have been riding my own bike since 2014). Well I rode it after the last repair and it did the same thing as it was doing prior to the repair... after some arguing with hubby, i got him to ride it and lo and behold it happened to him. I have been doing a little research on the cause but most information in on fuel injected motors. I am not really mechanically inclined so I cant really expalin what has been worked on. I do know that some work has been done on the carburetor and I even asked one mechanic to just replace it and he said it was fine. So in my non mechanical mind I think its something with the carburator?? Fuel lines?? Stater? Vapor lock??? I'm just at a loss.. I can find out exactly what has been done if that would be of some help, I just don't have it handy right now. I really would appreciate anyones input.