Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Big bore opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 09:12 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 806 Likes on 591 Posts
Default Big bore opinions

Just had a conversation with an HD manager to get a price on both a cam upgrade and a 103 big bore on a 2010 ultra with a 96”.
SE204 cams, bearings, lifters, gaskets etc and 6 hours labor =$1550. Canadian
the big bore as follows;
(Quote for 103 big bore upgrade Kit with flat top pistons, 255 Cams, Gasket kit included in kit price, S/E Lifters , S/E inner cam bearings . And 8 hours labor. 20% Winter discount.)
price with taxes was $2250 Canadian or approx $1700. US
priced an S&S 107 at a local Indy.it was just under $4k ( a better choice but twice the price)
what are the thoughts on both the BB kit and pricing?
thanks

Old 12-07-2020, 09:36 PM
freakfxr
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Just do a cam, but not a Harley cam. Thier cams give the least amount of performance out there. Go check out Fuel Moto and talk to them. You'll get more power with a combination of stuff from them than you will from a cam and big bore at the dealer. Dealer parts guys are the most undereducated people I have ever spoken to about motorcycles. It's like they literally plucked these guys off a random bus bench in any city of the world. They teach them to upsell you, hence the big bore he's recommending. All I'm saying, is if im upgrading my motor, the dealer is the last place I'd go for information.

The following 2 users liked this post by freakfxr:
Naz (12-07-2020), tonebone_79 (12-26-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 05:34 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Weeboy1
Just had a conversation with an HD manager to get a price on both a cam upgrade and a 103 big bore on a 2010 ultra with a 96”.
SE204 cams, bearings, lifters, gaskets etc and 6 hours labor =$1550. Canadian
the big bore as follows;
(Quote for 103 big bore upgrade Kit with flat top pistons, 255 Cams, Gasket kit included in kit price, S/E Lifters , S/E inner cam bearings . And 8 hours labor. 20% Winter discount.)
price with taxes was $2250 Canadian or approx $1700. US
priced an S&S 107 at a local Indy.it was just under $4k ( a better choice but twice the price)
what are the thoughts on both the BB kit and pricing?
thanks
You are probably already aware of this but when I spoke with my indy the first thing he did was ask questions.
What do you ride? Where do you ride? With or without a passenger or both? How do you ride? Do you have a tuner and if so which one? I'm sure there were more but that conversation happened four years ago.
Once I answered his questions he simply thought a torque cam and dyno tune would be best for my needs. Looking back I laugh at what I thought I needed versus what I actually needed.

Old 12-08-2020, 06:36 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

figure where you want the power (rpm wise) & choose a cam that will deliver,then get your cylinders bored to 103 (or better 107),have headwork matched to your build,you can do this for around 1500.00.theres got to be a shop in canada that does decent high performance work

The following users liked this post:
Ridetothehill (12-09-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 07:10 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Not sure what your options are up there but boring your stock jugs out to a 107" with pistons here is pretty cheap. Add in an aftermarket cam and you would be at a similar price or less as you would with the Harley kit with better performance. If you went that route I would be looking at an S&S EZ start cam unless you want to add the ACR's and harness to it. The EZ's would be cheaper and you don't need to send the heads out. Manual CR's are another option but again your having the heads machined for it.

I had the 204's in my 09. Great cam if you want to run the revs up a bit but not ideal for a bagger if you're looking for low end. An Andrews 48H would be my choice. They are a much better bagger cam and really wake up the 96" motor.

That S&S kit at 4K probably includes heads and thus the price. Performance wise that is in another league compared to the Harley kit.

Edit: Kirby beat me to it.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:24 AM
twincam10353
Road Master
Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
figure where you want the power (rpm wise) & choose a cam that will deliver,then get your cylinders bored to 103 (or better 107),have headwork matched to your build,you can do this for around 1500.00.theres got to be a shop in canada that does decent high performance work
/thread.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:44 AM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks for the input. Never before would I consider taking it to HD but he seemed thorough and asked all the questions post #3 mentioned.
all things considered thought his pricing was ver reasonable. I’d still rather take it to a non-dealer. We have a very good performance shop nearby but the cam install job alone was about $2500. The $4k+ S&s kit was for a 110 that incl. everything as well as support plate, pump and dyno . No head work.
FLHTK, I agree with you, I likely would be fine with just a cam upgrade but with 60k miles a lot of input suggests may as well upgrade the bore.

Old 12-08-2020, 08:55 AM
twincam10353
Road Master
Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Thanks for the input. Never before would I consider taking it to HD but he seemed thorough and asked all the questions post #3 mentioned.
all things considered thought his pricing was ver reasonable. I’d still rather take it to a non-dealer. We have a very good performance shop nearby but the cam install job alone was about $2500. The $4k+ S&s kit was for a 110 that incl. everything as well as support plate, pump and dyno . No head work.
FLHTK, I agree with you, I likely would be fine with just a cam upgrade but with 60k miles a lot of input suggests may as well upgrade the bore.
All the builders in here will tell you that you are much better off (reliability wise) boring your existing jugs out to a 107" rather than purchasing a cookie-cutter 110" kit with paper-thin spigots.

Also, with you having 60k miles on your scoot I would recommend going ahead and doing a complete top-end job, if you plan on keeping the bike. Don't forget to check the condition of your bottom end, at least the crank-shaft runout.

As far as the money and costs go, like all other things in life - you get what you pay for.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:10 PM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

You really should have your cam chest looked at before you make any decisions. If all looks well and runout is roughly .006 or less then you know cams, lifters, tensioners, and bearings will be all you need in the chest. You should also have the shop do a compression and leak down test.

Old 12-08-2020, 01:11 PM
Weeboy1
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2013_FLHTK
You really should have your cam chest looked at before you make any decisions. If all looks well and runout is roughly .006 or less then you know cams, lifters, tensioners, and bearings will be all you need in the chest. You should also have the shop do a compression and leak down test.
For sure. Will definitely get those tolerances and tests done before getting any show on the road.

The following users liked this post:
2013_FLHTK (12-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Big bore opinions