Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Oil in my air filter at 3000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 12:50 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 717 Likes on 628 Posts

once again post a youtube video and solve the world's problems.
yes i have seen the video and now i know the source and find it absolutely hilariously funny.
the balloon trick proves nothing.
if you look into manometer testing it will open your eyes.
i have done this for a friend on the xlforum which is posted and transcript to the sporsterpedia and it includes
1. effects on oil tank equalization
2. effects on crankcase pressures.
3. done at idle, 1k,2k,3k, 4k, 5k and 6k rpm ranges and could have gone to 7.5k but readings were insignificant.
now that said and done, all of that is subject to change if you put a load on the engine, it was done in a static position.
the hd engine will go positive around the 5k range. but before it does, the vacuum in the crankcase changes greatly.
the ballon test also does not factor in the timeline as piston speed changes, so THINK ABOUT IT!!!!
why do you think the balloon inflates more at the lower level.

throw one more quirk out there, do you have a calibrated control?? the balloon would have to have the exact same properties and a new control used every time since once expanded, changes the properties of the material!

https://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/...ref:engmech07p

Last edited by bustert; 03-24-2024 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:31 PM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 483 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
I believe your dealer's definition of "Tightening up" means setting the rings, of which were completed before 900 miles. ...
"Seating the Rings"

The following users liked this post:
Iceman24 (03-30-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 03:14 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

so after reading the link data, more questions than answers.
explain displacement test.
you do know that the pressures are an average and not absolute??
that said, the MOST accurate method of measurement is through an orifice meter where diff'l pressure is converted to flow. this is how we accurately measure production in the oil/gas industry. also there is a temperature chart.
just blowing vapor through a beaker of water and measuring volume is wanting to say the least. and if it adds to any back pressure and not full flow, the data is skewed.
with the right equipment, you can measure a fart in a wind storm. also, the test must be performed on each breather because if you combine them, the pulsation combined will skew the data also.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:02 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,961 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
once again post a youtube video and solve the world's problems.
yes i have seen the video and now i know the source and find it absolutely hilariously funny.
the balloon trick proves nothing.
if you look into manometer testing it will open your eyes.
i have done this for a friend on the xlforum which is posted and transcript to the sporsterpedia and it includes
1. effects on oil tank equalization
2. effects on crankcase pressures.
3. done at idle, 1k,2k,3k, 4k, 5k and 6k rpm ranges and could have gone to 7.5k but readings were insignificant.
now that said and done, all of that is subject to change if you put a load on the engine, it was done in a static position.
the hd engine will go positive around the 5k range. but before it does, the vacuum in the crankcase changes greatly.
the ballon test also does not factor in the timeline as piston speed changes, so THINK ABOUT IT!!!!
why do you think the balloon inflates more at the lower level.

throw one more quirk out there, do you have a calibrated control?? the balloon would have to have the exact same properties and a new control used every time since once expanded, changes the properties of the material!

https://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/...ref:engmech07p
Originally Posted by bustert
so after reading the link data, more questions than answers.
explain displacement test.
you do know that the pressures are an average and not absolute??
that said, the MOST accurate method of measurement is through an orifice meter where diff'l pressure is converted to flow. this is how we accurately measure production in the oil/gas industry. also there is a temperature chart.
just blowing vapor through a beaker of water and measuring volume is wanting to say the least. and if it adds to any back pressure and not full flow, the data is skewed.
with the right equipment, you can measure a fart in a wind storm. also, the test must be performed on each breather because if you combine them, the pulsation combined will skew the data also.
Methinks you are reading too much into our videos and reports.

We have never posted a video postulating solving the worlds problems, or even all of the challenges that different folks experience with their Harley's.

In the balloon testing report we stated:When we embarked on designing our 4 Stage Catch-Can for External Breather Systems (EBS), we decided that the first order of business was to get accurate data on How Much Air passed through the stock Harley Breather Bolts, so we could design the best possible Catch-Can.

We wanted to know how much was passed at idle, under a load, at cruising speeds and on throttle let-off.
We did that, and got the information we needed.

Are we aware that there are many (MANY) other variables for a controlled & complete study? Of course. But we did not need that information for our purposes.

Also, there are Thousands of Harley owners that do not even know that they are feeding hot, oily, oxygen depleted air into their intakes, and illustrating it with a balloon was a fun way of demonstrating that for them.

Regarding not knowing what a water displacement method of testing is......a simple google search will explain.

Please do not take me not responding to future combative & insulting posts as anything but me not wanting to take my time discussing things that are not relevant to the discussion at hand.

Enjoy your day!

Live Free, Ride Free,

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following 4 users liked this post by DK Custom:
fordhd2005 (04-10-2024), Hodado (04-10-2024), Lammy1000 (03-28-2024), MTBIG G (04-10-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 09:21 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

never was there an intent to defame, was all about accurate knowledge. yes i know water displacement testing is, offshore we call that a water draw test and by law must be performed annually on a LACT stations and anytime they are worked on, extremely accurate as mandated by the federal gov.
let me tell you a TRUE story:
we had a young guy that kept for lack of better words bugging the shop hands at a shop a friend owned back in the day when it was allowed for customers to come in. long story short, one service hand got upset when working on his machine (bsa tiger cub) and his asking question some lame and some not but a question is a question and when it came to how much air to put in his rear tire, the dude told him 80 psi. the dude did so and that led to a severe blow out with two up, both friends of mine and a long hospital stay.
moral: be careful what you do, reason why insurance company and lawyers make money. so a silly "?", is there a disclaimer so no idiot will take jest for gospel, hummmmm, a lot of churches do.
answer or not is not an issue, i already know what i need to know from the above.

Old 03-24-2024, 09:48 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,346 Likes on 3,679 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Not to worry, very unlikely it is bad rings.
What about poor ring seating during break in?

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
Lonewolf176 (03-24-2024), rjstreet23 (03-28-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 10:30 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
What about poor ring seating during break in?
It could be poor seating, it could be bad rings (or improperly installed rings), it could be bad cylinders...however, it is unlikely.

While all those things do happen, it is not the majority of the time. What is very likely (happens far more than any of the above) is overfilled oil and/or improper viscosity for the ambient riding temps.

Old 03-26-2024, 02:50 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 337 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
It could be poor seating, it could be bad rings (or improperly installed rings), it could be bad cylinders...however, it is unlikely.
Methinks you guys over simplify things and clearly are in business to do just that.

Must not see too many performance motors in that personal barn/garage/shop

The following users liked this post:
96hugger (05-05-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 10:34 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by rjstreet23
So I have noticed some random hesitations in the motor of my 2023 street glide when giving the bike some throttle. I first noticed it right around the 900 mile mark and now at 3000 miles it seems to be getting a little worse. Mainly within the first few minutes of riding, but it still happens after riding for quite some time (bike is definitely warmed up). I've also had some "backfireing" a few times. Once when I wasn't clutching properly (was still getting used to the clutch on this bike)but a couple times just giving a little throttle with clutch completely out. Last bit of info...I recently changed out my stock air filter for a K and N filter and noticed my stock filter had oil on it. Any ideas of what could be causing these issues? Do I have bad piston rings? I'm pretty sure I followed the break in instructions correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
Methinks you guys over simplify things and clearly are in business to do just that.

Must not see too many performance motors in that personal barn/garage/shop
I was responding to the OP, not to someone that has a performance engine.

As far as what we see...yesterday we we working on two of our personal bikes.

1. 121 VVT SG
2. Stage IV SG

#1 above is still mostly stock, but we are working on parts to increase it's Performance

Regarding simplicity...yes, we do try and explain things in the most understandable way possible....flip side of the coin, we do more testing, and publish more reports, than all other parts manufacturers for Harley's combined.

We drill down on many subjects, covering some pretty nuanced subjects.

Old 03-27-2024, 05:29 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 337 Likes on 237 Posts

I can do 20 tests a day in the garage, publish them on my YouTube channel and in a few weeks claim the most test proven channel. Nice idea, thanks. I’ll start with how many things I can point a heat gun at…..

Quick Reply: Oil in my air filter at 3000 miles