Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Interesting cooling system issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 02:41 PM
OldManBkr
Advanced
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Interesting cooling system issue

I have an interesting scenario. Had stage 2 done to my '19 RGU, sent to tuner to have the bike dyno tunned. Came back, bike road great. Next day, took the bike for a ride and the check engine light came on, then the thermostat light came on. Pulled the code - p1019h. The overflow tank on the right lower was filled, like the entire tank was full. Ran the fan, no change. Got the bike home, went out to look at it after a few hours, and the tank was drained. What i found was there is a switch on the lower left that likely was the culprit. So i replaced the switch. ran bike and once it reaches temp the tank fills again.

So the thermostat is opening to push the fluid in the radiators back through the system and it appears to not be being pulled back through the system. I let the bike rest, and it slowly drops back down to reflect an almost empty holding tank. ( i did top it off once, but have not since, and i don't have a puddle under the bike. So, the overflow is not leaking out. )

Is it the water pump that needs to be replaced? Spoke with my mechanic and we are both at a loss. A new pump is $500, so i don't want to just buy it for the sake of buying it then hoping it fixes the issue.

Thoughts?

Old 04-16-2024, 09:42 AM
OldManBkr
Advanced

Is this the proper location to post this question?

Old 04-16-2024, 10:08 AM
jake24lt
Road Warrior
Received 1,320 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by OldManBkr
I have an interesting scenario. Had stage 2 done to my '19 RGU, sent to tuner to have the bike dyno tunned. Came back, bike road great. Next day, took the bike for a ride and the check engine light came on, then the thermostat light came on. Pulled the code - p1019h. The overflow tank on the right lower was filled, like the entire tank was full. Ran the fan, no change. Got the bike home, went out to look at it after a few hours, and the tank was drained. What i found was there is a switch on the lower left that likely was the culprit. So i replaced the switch. ran bike and once it reaches temp the tank fills again.

So the thermostat is opening to push the fluid in the radiators back through the system and it appears to not be being pulled back through the system. I let the bike rest, and it slowly drops back down to reflect an almost empty holding tank. ( i did top it off once, but have not since, and i don't have a puddle under the bike. So, the overflow is not leaking out. )

Is it the water pump that needs to be replaced? Spoke with my mechanic and we are both at a loss. A new pump is $500, so i don't want to just buy it for the sake of buying it then hoping it fixes the issue.

Thoughts?
maybe try this:
If happens again try the water pump test to check if it works and the alert is false.
With IGN and RUN switches ON (DO NOT TURN ENGINE ON) twist the throttle above 50% for more than 3 seconds. This will start the water pump and the fans, if you do not catch the noise, putting a hand on the pump cover should allow you to feel the vibrations caused by the pump rotation.
If the pump works than you have a temperature sensor problem, if nothing starts (even the fans) than you have an electrical problem like connectors or fuses

In the pre ‘17 bikes the thermostat could have been a problem as well, but the new pump eliminated that part so that is not an issue anymore.

Old 04-16-2024, 04:15 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,111 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by OldManBkr
Is this the proper location to post this question?
Here or in the M8 section but since you started the thread here; leave it here to avoid double posting unless you want this thread deleted so you can post in the M8 section. If you want this one deleted so you can post in the M8 section; let me know.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:24 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 257 Posts

Harley recommends using a cooling system filler tool, it uses shop air to put the system under vacuum and then draws the coolant in eliminating air pockets

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 12:57 PM
OldManBkr
Advanced

Thanks for the reply, i did try this trick, which lead to me replacing the sensor in the right lower. This didn't fix the issue. When i turn the throttle the fan runs and the pump (hand test) feels like it is working. The fact that it releases the fluid into the overflow tells me that it is at least moving the fluid. but if is not drawing the fluid out.

Old 04-18-2024, 12:59 PM
OldManBkr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Harley recommends using a cooling system filler tool, it uses shop air to put the system under vacuum and then draws the coolant in eliminating air pockets
Thank you, air pocket is my thought (not sure how it got there, but that may be the course). I will check with local dealer to see if they can run this service for me.

Old 04-23-2024, 08:17 AM
OldManBkr
Advanced

Burping didn't fix the issue. I ordered a replacement water pump. What i found, the pump runs, but then shuts off. When the coolant floods the holding tank the pump is not running. There is current to the plug so I am going to swap out the pump and see what i get.

The following users liked this post:
Tommy C (04-23-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 08:55 AM
OldManBkr
Advanced

Swapped out the water pump. Problem fixed. The old pump impeller was ceased, would not turn. Rather interesting that at only 25k miles this beefy component ceased up. Anyhow all set now and not soon enough as i leave on a road trip south today.

The following 3 users liked this post by OldManBkr:
memphisharley (04-26-2024), pgreer (04-26-2024), Tommy C (04-27-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 03:21 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 257 Posts

Good to hear

I was filling one the other night and noticed that the lines where they go over the throttle body are just a bit higher than the radiator cap, this could cause an air bubble if just gravity filling

Quick Reply: Interesting cooling system issue