Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Valve To Piston Clearance...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 11:18 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,911 Likes on 3,362 Posts

So everything's finally cleaned up and ready to install I did open up the valve release on both a little bit by hand with a file and then sanded it and then polished it I shouldn't have any issues at this point for but I will post up my claying..

The following users liked this post:
Architect (04-22-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 03:34 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Okay so I got over .130" on the exhaust and almost .180" on the intakes.. I know it seems like a lot and an not sure I did anything wrong and used solid lifters.. I don't think there's going to be any issues... I did clearance the radiuses a little bit just to make sure I want to get that extra .010" so I should be good there too..

Old 04-20-2024, 03:37 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

One thing I did notice when I was setting it up to check the clearances both intake pushrods wouldn't line up properly from the lifter to the rocker and it appeared that the pushrod was hitting on the lower rocker plate a smidgen so I took a file and opened up the guide Holes.. I wonder if this might be an issue that others are trying to resolve a tick to pushrod hitting a plate.. Anyways here's pictures of how I used a hand file to open it up a little.. I'm done for tonight and will resume tomorrow we'll see how it goes together, the final assembly.. The top one is modified and the lower is stock..

Not sure if there's an issue with the intake rockers or not maybe causing the pushrods to be off center line which it does look like but also on the intake valve stems I don't like the way the rockers are lining up there either...

Both intakes are the same.. I'm wondering if I should get different rockers to get better alignment on the stem as well as the pushrods..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 04-20-2024 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:39 PM
Ohio HD
Tourer
Received 431 Likes on 239 Posts

You can paint the end of the valve stem with Prussian blue, let it dry then carefully put the rocker back in place, and adjust the valve. Cycle the valve through an open and close, then look at the sweep the rocker arm took. Ideally you want the sweep to be as close to the center of the valve as possible. This photo shows the travel at 0.120" wide. That varies with each cam and rocker ratio setup.

Last edited by Ohio HD; 04-20-2024 at 04:45 PM.
98hotrodfatboy (04-20-2024)
Old 04-20-2024, 05:08 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,346 Likes on 3,679 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Gotcha Max.. The height/width of the seal is .108"/.070 and the machined grove in the case is .080"/.130". So I think there is plenty of squish and room for squish.. thanks..
If that's the case and you are using a 110 kit, I'd get the stock O ring.. The problem is that square seal won't compress. It is actually too small..

Old 04-20-2024, 05:26 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Gotcha Max.. The height/width of the seal is .108"/.070 and the machined grove in the case is .080"/.130". So I think there is plenty of squish and room for squish.. thanks..
Another thing, You need to measure the width of the groove by (diameter of groove OD - diameter of cylinder spigot ID) / 2

Old 04-21-2024, 07:36 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Well I figured out my problem with the intake rockers not aligning on the valve stem properly and Pushrods rubbing on the lower rocker plate..
Either the intake valve seats were moved up into the head changing the valve stem height or the valves themselves are too long which is drastically changing the angle of the rocker at the pushrod cup causing the pushrods to rub up against the lower rocker cover..
I think the heads are gonna have to go back to the machine shop.. I'll post up some pics later..
I just hope I can reuse the head gaskets.. They didn't go through a heat cycle so they should be ok .🤞

I guess this would be the right time to install the proper o-rings on the cylinder bases..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 04-21-2024 at 10:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 98hotrodfatboy:
Ohio HD (04-21-2024), paulmedford (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 09:19 AM
Ohio HD
Tourer
Received 431 Likes on 239 Posts

Well I figured out my problem with the intake rockers not aligning on the valve stem properly and Pushrods rubbing on the lower rocker plate..
Either the intake valve seats were moved up into the head changing the valve stem height or the valves themselves are too long which is drastically changing the angle of the rocker at the pushrod cup causing the pushrods to rub up against the lower rocker cover..
I think the heads are gonna have to go back to the machine shop.. I'll post up some pics later..
I just hope I can reuse the head gaskets.. They didn't go through a heart cycle so they should be ok .🤞

I guess this would be the right time to install the proper o-rings on the cylinder bases..
I wondered about that when you posted the photo of the rocker and valve spring, the valve stem is much above the valve spring retainer. With 0.662" lift something has to change to keep from getting coil bind at the springs. CVO heads the OEM valve protrusion specs are 1.990" to 2.024", and a limit of 2.069".

Just as an FYI, in my case I needing clearance for 0.700" lift, the springs are designed for that lift, and the valve spring retainer is dished to allow more clearance. This is what mine look like from a side view. They were setup with 2.060" protrusion.

98hotrodfatboy (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 09:50 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Are you running stock head cores. If so to get the valve to valve you need to sink the seats a bunch.. Need shorter valves.. HAve you checked valve to valve?

Ultima roller rockers will get you better centered on the stems.. They may correct some of the geometry issues..

Old 04-21-2024, 10:31 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Are you running stock head cores. If so to get the valve to valve you need to sink the seats a bunch.. Need shorter valves.. HAve you checked valve to valve?

Ultima roller rockers will get you better centered on the stems.. They may correct some of the geometry issues..
Yes running stock head core's. I don't have a Trock tool to check valve to vale but the machine shop told me they were .070".. I agree the only thing I can figure is shorter valves but it will need to be .130" shorter to use the stock rockers but then I'm sure there will be coil bind.. I don't have the tools to check... I used a primitive way to check the difference in intake valve stem height off the surface of the cylinder head and the new heads/valves are .130' longer/higher than stock setup heads i have or the seats were moved up like you say.. The exhaust were like .060" longer/higher but the rockers seemed to line up to the stem ok.

As for the ultima rockers, I'm not so sure they'll correct my issue because the pushrod end was turned so far down that th pushrods were binding on rocker plates..

Quick Reply: Valve To Piston Clearance...