Europe All of Europe "Hey, it's small!"

Edelweiss area Alps Routes

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Bkrazy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edelweiss area Alps Routes

Trying to see if anyone has some ideas as to where to get routes in the Edelweiss area. Trying to help a run that is being put together for the July 4th weekend. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Petro
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motor...--___7236.html

I have found some pretty good rides around me in the Nordrhine-Westphalia region. Hope it helps.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:08 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by Bkrazy
Trying to see if anyone has some ideas as to where to get routes in the Edelweiss area. Trying to help a run that is being put together for the July 4th weekend. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.
If you let me know the area & distance you'd like to cover I'll do some searching for you.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 105 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
If you let me know the area & distance you'd like to cover I'll do some searching for you.
There's no "Edelweise" area as such. as Rene mentioned, give us an idea of the part of switzerland you plan on riding and I'll help you out with routes. I live in central switzerland and know most the alpine areas around here.

Hell, count me in for the July 4th ride if you'll have me!

Where are you planning to depart from to begin with?

Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 AM
Bkrazy
Cruiser

I am not hosting the run. But it was asked in a public venue for help getting route info. People will be coming up from Italy and some of us will be coming down from Germany and Garmisch is a nearly central point. I said Edelweiss as that is the resort there, but I believe the plan is to camp friday and saturday night and depart either sunday or monday. I am sure the more the merrier and will keep this post updated as I get more info.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:03 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Here are some options to find interesting routes.

From an older post:

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
Here's another interesting link to an interactive map showing tons of routes all over Europe. (click map below to open link)

Zoom in and mouse over a route symbol and you'll see the itinerary.

Click a route symbol and another screen will open showing more details.

In tab Download you'll find GPS files for Google Earth, Garmin and TomTom

The Michelin map I use to plan interesting routes can be found at http://www.viamichelin.com/web/Maps.

All (yellow and red colored) scenic roads have green lines.

This map can be used in the free route planner ITN Converter

Old 04-12-2013, 06:12 AM
MichiganMikey
Tourer

Bkrazy, if you are wanting to plan this for the 4th of July weekend at Eidelweiss you need to make reservations now. It fills up fast especially on a holiday weekend, if it isnt already full.

Sincerely,
ElRoy

Old 04-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Bkrazy
Cruiser

Do campgrounds in that area need to be reserved or are they first come first served?

Old 04-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

Do campgrounds in that area need to be reserved or are they first come first served?
Definitely reserve, especially if you're going to be touring during a school holiday period or summer weekend.

Keep in mind as well, most swiss Camping grounds dont allow open fires. There is usually a few BBQ pits to be shared among the camping population.

They get uppity if your having too much fun as well....

Old 04-12-2013, 02:34 PM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member

I am not hosting the run. But it was asked in a public venue for help getting route info. People will be coming up from Italy and some of us will be coming down from Germany and Garmisch is a nearly central point. I said Edelweiss as that is the resort there, but I believe the plan is to camp friday and saturday night and depart either sunday or monday. I am sure the more the merrier and will keep this post updated as I get more info.
Garmisch, and the resort mentioned, is actually in Germany near the AUSTRIAN border. In fact you'd have to ride an hour through Austria to get to the swiss border.
That said, the route from Garmisch, down through austria to switzerland then across to St Moritz is awesome if you keep off the motorways in Austria. Once you hit the swiss border there are no motorways untill well after St Moritz, just the pristine nature, twisty roads and Fluelen Pass of the swiss national park.

If you wanted to, from St Moritz you could head to Bormio, italy and ride the Stelvio Pass, which is JUST FREAKING UNBELIEVABLE!!!

but you'll need a day or 2 extra

Quick Reply: Edelweiss area Alps Routes