EVO All Evo Model Discussion

FXR inner primary question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 01:38 PM
snookedsteve
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXR inner primary question

I am building an 84 FXR. It was worked on by one of the previous owners and I am trying to sort it out. I did a complete tear down of the bike and am in the process of putting it back together. It is an EVO 5 speed with a tapered shaft. The part # on the inner primary is 60602-79C which I am understanding to be a shovel inner primary and is for a dry clutch. When I took the bike apart he had a Sifton diaphragm clutch in it and was running it wet. Which would explain why there was oil and dirt all over the place when I took it apart. Can I put a late 84 inner primary on it and run the same clutch basket as a wet clutch or do I need to buy a new clutch set up. There is not enough room to put a bearing and seal in the inner primary so I have to change one or the other or it is gonna leak. If I can change it. What is the correct part #.

Thanks

Old 09-23-2015, 02:25 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

You can run that inner wet or dry. Doesn't matter at all.

Originally they circulated the primary oil thru the engine oil system. Lots of folks sealed them off and made them just "wet" primaries without recirculating the clutch fibers thru our motor oil. My 76 is done that way. Has been for a couple of decades now. No issues at all.

One thing I did was eliminate the front o-ring (too small and leaks) and just use gasket sealer up front to seal the inner to the motor.

There already is a seal on the shaft from the tranny behind the bearing in there on the tranny side. If yours is missing, well there ya go.

Shouldn't be a problem if you want to swap out for the 84 setup as that is what you had on it originally I would guess. They all have to clear the sprocket portion of the basket so there is room in there.

Griz

Old 09-23-2015, 03:39 PM
snookedsteve
Intermediate

Thx Imbdagriz. My concern was that it was going to leak out of the mainshaft bearing since there was no seal behind it and the final drive chain would sling the oil everywhere. The mainshaft bearing is a sealed bearing so I guess if it does leak oil it won't be much.

Old 09-25-2015, 12:37 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Mainshaft bearing? The bearing in the inner primary the tranny shaft goes thru? Should be a seal behind it towards the tranny sprocket/pulley. Tranny has an oil seal also on the shaft coming out of it, so I'm not sure where you're referring to.

Griz

Old 09-26-2015, 03:54 PM
snookedsteve
Intermediate

Yes the bearing on the tranny shaft going in to the primary. The bearing on the back of mine is sealed and pressed in. It does not have an oil seal. That is why I.m worried about it leaking. There is not enough room to put an oil seal behind it either.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by snookedsteve
Yes the bearing on the tranny shaft going in to the primary. The bearing on the back of mine is sealed and pressed in. It does not have an oil seal. That is why I.m worried about it leaking. There is not enough room to put an oil seal behind it either.
You might be able to put the stock bearing and seal back in....you can measure one (or I'll do it for you later today) and see how it all stacks up.

The sealed bearing is sealed against grease, not oil, it will probably leak.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,404 Likes on 5,440 Posts

Originally Posted by snookedsteve
It does not have an oil seal. That is why I.m worried about it leaking. There is not enough room to put an oil seal behind it either.
They make a sealed bearing for those that works with the seal...so it may have just "walked" over if they left the seal out