inner primary leaking..

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 04:25 PM
1990FXR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default inner primary leaking..

well its either that or one of the seals on that end of the trans

anything in particular I should keep a look out for?

do I need one of those fancy diafram sping compressors to remover the clutch?

this is on a 1990 FXR

thanks all
scott

Old 10-17-2010, 06:15 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Make sure that the fluid leaking is prim fluid not trans No you do not need a fancy diaphram spring compressor tool You have spline shaft trany and it's a gravy job to get the inner primary chain/comp sprocket/clutch basket off Also make sure that the prim fluid is clear and only 32 oz The inner prim bearing is probably ok the seal behind it is usually the culprit Check the condition of the trany main shaft thru the inner prim seal area

Old 10-18-2010, 05:37 AM
1990FXR
Advanced

I appreciate the input george..

my FSM wasnt clear on whether or not i needed to compressor if I'm not completely dis-assembling the clutch

since the primamry took almost 1/2 a quart when I checked it yesterday (and the trans is still full) I'm 99% sure that what it is that leaking

I'm going to do the oil in all 3 holes while I'm wrenching on it...

it just took me a couple days to figure out EXACTLY where the leak is coming from and it seems to be the backside of the primary where it bolts to the trans

Old 10-18-2010, 06:01 AM
1990FXR
Advanced

does anyone by chance know what size sockets i need for the main clutch hub nut and the front primary sprocket? I'm assuming that these are big ones like my Ironhead

Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Scott,

Are you looking to sort out a serious loss of oil, or a visible oil leak? The transmission oil seal behind the drive pulley is a candidate for leaking. Bear in mind a little oil can go a very long way when making a mess! My 1990 bike seal went, although the replacement has held up so far.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990FXR
does anyone by chance know what size sockets i need for the main clutch hub nut and the front primary sprocket? I'm assuming that these are big ones like my Ironhead
1-3/16" left hand thread(clutch hub assy)

Old 10-18-2010, 08:02 AM
1990FXR
Advanced

Originally Posted by grbrown
Scott,

Are you looking to sort out a serious loss of oil, or a visible oil leak? The transmission oil seal behind the drive pulley is a candidate for leaking. Bear in mind a little oil can go a very long way when making a mess! My 1990 bike seal went, although the replacement has held up so far.
no it's a minor oil leak....4 or five drops after I set it on the kickstand...

i've only had this bike for a week or so so I'm not sure how long it has been leaking prior to this which would probably explain the 1/2 quart down

Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by 1990FXR
no it's a minor oil leak....4 or five drops after I set it on the kickstand...

i've only had this bike for a week or so so I'm not sure how long it has been leaking prior to this which would probably explain the 1/2 quart down
1/2 a quart will make a truly serious mess, the bike would be smothered in the stuff! Leaks don't only happen when the bike is stationary. Having filled it up I suggest you carry on riding it and get used to its foibles (Evos have plenty of them!). A popular saying is that Harleys like to mark where they've been, a bit like a dog! So keep an eye on those few drops it leaves for now. Unless there are other things that are giving problems, just ride on!

Old 10-18-2010, 08:33 AM
1990FXR
Advanced

Originally Posted by grbrown
A popular saying is that Harleys like to mark where they've been, a bit like a dog! So keep an eye on those few drops it leaves for now. Unless there are other things that are giving problems, just ride on!
as the owner of a 75 sportster I am WELL aware of this LOL

no no i didnt mean to imply that I thought it has leaked a 1/2 quart recently....

I'm thinking that it has been leaking for quite awhile while in the hands of the previous owner.....

it was freshly washed when I bought it but I havent noticed an unusual amount of oil on the swingarm or aanything in the 500 or so miles i have put on it.....

I needed to wipe it down real good underneath and tape paper towels underneath it to see exactly where it was coming from.......since it would run to the outside edge of the primary and drip from there after being put on its kickstand

with the paper towel trick i got a spot of oil about the size of a quarter (keeping on mind that it would spread thru the towel) after a 10 mile test ride

probably 2 drops at the most....

winter is coming here tho and I thought I might attempt to fix it when the snow starts flying if I wont disturb anything else

Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member

If you can prop the bike upright while doing your detective work that would help. But if the oil is coming off the primary casing that suggests its the seal in that casing, rather than the transmission seal I had problems with.

Quick Reply: inner primary leaking..