EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Good Book on Motorcycle Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Good Book on Motorcycle Wiring

I have an electrical issue in my 1992 FLSTC. I have gotten some advice from some of you already. The consensus seems to be a grounding issue. But rather than hunt down a grounding issue, I think I want to go through the wiring system on a more comprehensive basis.

I would like to find a book on wiring that would help me gain a basic understanding of motorcycle wiring.

I have the Service Manual, Parts Catalog and owners manual. I am looking for something more general.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:49 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,234 Likes on 5,406 Posts

In 1992 the wiring on Harley's was very basic and not very good...they didn't start using very good connectors until 96.

Don't think you will find any books that "explain" motorcycle wiring... lot of books out there on basic electrical circuits...that's all you would need to understand 1992 wiring.

If you really want to understand how your bike works...pull all the existing wiring off...go by an aftermarket wiring harness, and rewire the entire bike...when you get through your bike will hold no mysteries.

The following users liked this post:
Sorg67 (06-21-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 05:39 AM
Sorg67
Tourer

I watched this video last night. It is excellent. Thanks!!

What wiring harness would your recommend. I do not want to buy some cheap Chinese crap. Generally, I think my bike is simple, but quality. I would like to upgrade the weak points, but keep it mostly originalish. But I like the idea of better connectors.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:05 AM
phillip123hastings
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great tutorial, i think i can wire my bike with that one as well, will try and tell you the results.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:37 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,234 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorg67
I watched this video last night. It is excellent. Thanks!!

What wiring harness would your recommend. I do not want to buy some cheap Chinese crap. Generally, I think my bike is simple, but quality. I would like to upgrade the weak points, but keep it mostly originalish. But I like the idea of better connectors.

That video is for the Motogadget wiring...haven't used one but it gets great reveiws.

I have installed several of the Ultima wiring harnesses ...super simple...every wire is labeled...not sure where they are made...but I doubt you are going to buy anything with micro electronics that is made in the USA.

Rewiring a bike is super simple IF you don't let it psych you out...one wire at a time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTIMA-COMPL...3D352033347041

Old 06-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

I have been playing with the continuity tester of my multi-meter. Great fun. Slowly getting a feel for what is connected to what. Going to go really slow though and make sure I do not muck it up.

Okay, try to reduce the risk of mucking it up.

Well actually, try not to muck it up too bad so it won't be too hard to fix.

Fine, I am going to totally muck it up and it is going to be a monstrous pain in the posterior to get it right. But I am going to have a good attitude going in and it is going to fun and educational.

And maybe if it is not too bad, I will try to do something else. Either that or appreciate my mechanic a whole lot more..... lol.....

Old 06-23-2017, 02:54 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Or you could simply find a Mid Usa dealer near you and order a complete wiring harness for your bike.

It will run you about $200 and will solve a multitude of problems.
At least it did on my bikes.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:15 PM
Sorg67
Tourer

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Or you could simply find a Mid Usa dealer near you and order a complete wiring harness for your bike.

It will run you about $200 and will solve a multitude of problems.
At least it did on my bikes.
Well, I have the tanks off, the battery out, the dash plate off and I am approaching the point of no return.

At the moment, I could have the bike back together and running in an hour or two. I have not started cutting wires yet.

I think I need a new dash plate. The sockets for the indicator bulbs are horribly corroded. Looking at them, it is amazing they work at all. I wonder if that is the principle source of my issues.

JP Cycle has a dash plate for $60. I wonder if that would solve most or all my problems.

However, the connectors are also corroded. It has been recommended that I replace all the connectors with weatherproof connectors.

I looked at a wiring harness from JP Cycle and it looks like it has the old style connectors like I have on my bike. Does Mid USA use better connectors?

Old 06-25-2017, 05:33 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Well, I have the tanks off, the battery out, the dash plate off and I am approaching the point of no return.

At the moment, I could have the bike back together and running in an hour or two. I have not started cutting wires yet.

I think I need a new dash plate. The sockets for the indicator bulbs are horribly corroded. Looking at them, it is amazing they work at all. I wonder if that is the principle source of my issues.

JP Cycle has a dash plate for $60. I wonder if that would solve most or all my problems.

However, the connectors are also corroded. It has been recommended that I replace all the connectors with weatherproof connectors.

I looked at a wiring harness from JP Cycle and it looks like it has the old style connectors like I have on my bike. Does Mid USA use better connectors?
The harness for your bike doesn't say it ( http://www.jpcycles.com/product/381-069 ) but when I bought the main harness from J&P I had to take apart the original harness to get the OEM 12 pin connectors for the new harness.
Not hard just tedious.
If you have to change the connectors just make sure you make a diagram for where the wires go in the connector.

As for your sockets under the dash a little Deoxit 5 and a Dremel with a small wire wheel will take care of that.

The following users liked this post:
Sorg67 (06-25-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 06:58 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

I have an electrical issue in my 1992 FLSTC.
What is the issue?

Quick Reply: Good Book on Motorcycle Wiring