EVO All Evo Model Discussion

The quest for more torque

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 03:53 AM
Evoken
Tourer
Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I spoke with Scott yesterday, what a great guy! They have exactly what I am looking for at a very reasonable price. Now I have to decide: tear down now or wait till winter, hmm.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:21 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,351 Likes on 6,264 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoken
I spoke with Scott yesterday, what a great guy! They have exactly what I am looking for at a very reasonable price. Now I have to decide: tear down now or wait till winter, hmm.
Wait because with these old bikes, you might find something unexpected and one thing can lead to another taking longer than you anticipated.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:00 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,891 Likes on 3,350 Posts

I would wait. There's still plenty of riding to be done...

Old 07-26-2017, 02:45 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Yep long winters in PA.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:13 PM
Evoken
Tourer

Not that long aces, we rode till turkey day last year, and started in March this year.

Prot and hot rod, I do have a second bike, so that's not an issue. The ultra just isn't as fun as the softail, but still excellent.

Well the teardown starts, already got the pipes and carb off. I suppose not a moment too soon either, I have a fresh base gasket leak that wasn't there the other day.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:31 PM
aces&8s
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 380 Posts

Not that long aces, we rode till turkey day last year, and started in March this year.

Prot and hot rod, I do have a second bike, so that's not an issue. The ultra just isn't as fun as the softail, but still excellent.

Well the teardown starts, already got the pipes and carb off. I suppose not a moment too soon either, I have a fresh base gasket leak that wasn't there the other day.
If I couldn't ride for 3 months Id be pissed.
Last time I sent my heads off to be built I got them back 2 months later.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

That Ultra would be more fun if you put this build in it. I have a similar build in my bagger and for giggles this evening I checked the mileage and it was just under 50 MPG. It will put a permanent smile on your face.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:48 AM
Evoken
Tourer

This would be a good build for the ultra, but not now. It stays stock.

I haven't had much time in the evenings so I've only got it down to the bottom rockers. I should have a few hours this weekend and hope to get it torn down the rest of the way and shipped out next week.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:58 PM
Evoken
Tourer

Got her torn down today. I found that she had an ev27 with Rivera tapered adjustables push rods. I had my suspicions that it may have had a cam already.

where do I go from here? I will be sending the jugs, heads, intake, and carb to Scott. It had the factory flat top pistons in it that looked like crap from the engine breather I assume, that has already been addressed.

Will I be happy with the w6 cam being so close to the ev27, or should I look into the w6h? I'm sure Scott will have some insite on this, but I don't want to buy a new cam that is basically the same as what came out with a little more lift.

I'm all in now and open to suggestions. I still want this to be a reliable street machine, but help me make this thing a real barn burner!

Old 07-29-2017, 07:20 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,324 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Got her torn down today. I found that she had an ev27 with Rivera tapered adjustables push rods. I had my suspicions that it may have had a cam already.

where do I go from here? I will be sending the jugs, heads, intake, and carb to Scott. It had the factory flat top pistons in it that looked like crap from the engine breather I assume, that has already been addressed.

Will I be happy with the w6 cam being so close to the ev27, or should I look into the w6h? I'm sure Scott will have some insite on this, but I don't want to buy a new cam that is basically the same as what came out with a little more lift.

I'm all in now and open to suggestions. I still want this to be a reliable street machine, but help me make this thing a real barn burner!
Just do what Scott recommends.

Quick Reply: The quest for more torque