91 flhs intake leak, ticking and uneven pkugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 04:31 AM
muaymendez1
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 91 flhs intake leak, ticking and uneven pkugs

Jose from Staten island
I picked up this electra sport early last year. After getting it running I realized the 81 k miles on the tach were in fact correct.
Fork seals, wheel bearing​​​s all new cables and carb troubles
The set up was as listed.
Dyna 200​​​0 ignition curve 2. Voes is attatched
180 main​​. 45 slow aftermarket light spring and hole drilled in carb slide.

Plugs were ​​OK. Fuel milage was crap. 28 to 30 mpg
​Carb would be hesitant​​ on take off and pop during decel.

I found that the Voes hose was leaking. Changed the hose and it started running really rich.
Changed the 180 jet to a 170 put the stock spring. Polished the slide. Still popping. But runs like a bat on fire.
​I checked timing although I couldn't see crap through the inspection hole so I timed it as directed by dyna tech. Turned the rotor clockwise till the red light on the ignition module turned off. ​​​​​
I found that the intake had been leaking and once again after I replaced the seals. Right now I loaded the new seals and mating surfaces with a ton of high temp rtv​​​​​. Waiting for it to cure before going on a ride.
Before finding the intake leaking I read the plugs. Front was slightly lean while rear was OK. Waiting to see results after sealing the hell out of intake. I hope the leak is what was causing popping, a lean condition and the POs need to richen the carb mixtures.
I have ticking coming from front left. My mechanical knowledge tells me it may be caused by the lean condition causing the air fuel mixture to burn quicker but I'm wondering if there is anything else that could be causing that. My research has lead me to check the primary tension, I'm gonna change oil although there is only 2300 miles on the oil now.
Maybe a slight exhaust leak?
​​​​An exhaust leak can sound like ticking but do you think an exhaust leak can cause a lean condition in the cylinder.

Thanksguys. For a few months I was ready to throw in the towel. This is my first Harley after owning hondkawasukis for the last 11 years. This is also the first bike to be comfortable for more than 3 hours in the saddle. My lady and I leave in the morning and return 12 hours later. We absolutely love it and the facts that it's 26 years old makes me want to keep it......... And her.

Last edited by muaymendez1; 09-07-2017 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Adding location
Old 09-07-2017, 05:50 AM
muaymendez1
Novice

No change.
Still popping. On decel. Let off the throttle and it pops from about 2800 to 2100 rpm.
​​Throttle response and it runs like a top otherwise.
​Will try​​ exhaust gaskets before I decide to richen the carb and light a match Lol
​​Ticking sounds like it's from the front left.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:59 AM
Alienwulf
Supporter
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice looking ride, would not worry to much about ticking can drive you nutz chasing those down. Mine ticks and some times makes other sounds depends on how it feels. Evo's tend to do that as long as it runs good it will let you know when some thing is really wrong. Enjoy.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:46 AM
muaymendez1
Novice

Originally Posted by Alienwulf
Nice looking ride, would not worry to much about ticking can drive you nutz chasing those down. Mine ticks and some times makes other sounds depends on how it feels. Evo's tend to do that as long as it runs good it will let you know when some thing is really wrong. Enjoy.
​​​​​​that' adds some peace to my day, For what is worth I think the ticking is loose exhaust. I tightened the fonts a bit as they were able to turn 1/4 turn to torque, and the side got a bit louder on my way back from work. I was able to turn again. Bike are now out, picking up gaskets and new nuts today. These nuts are self progressive tightening if they are like most exhaust studs/nuts, they may have lost thier tourquing ability.
​I also put my hand by exhaust while riding and I could hear a difference in tone. If it was came, I would not have noticed that.
​Will update​​ my findings

Old 09-08-2017, 06:06 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Heres some information for you.
The ticking you are hearing is probably your rocker arms, you can solve this with rocker lockers
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/rock...-dk-rl-bte.htm

Your front plug will always look leaner than the rear

If your motor sounds like a pissed off sewing machine then everything is good.

FWIW your bike will develop tics and other sounds just to mess with you and you can drive yourself crazy looking for the cause.
Most will go away on their own.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:56 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Alienwulf
Mine ticks and some times makes other sounds depends on how it feels. Evo's tend to do that as long as it runs good it will let you know when some thing is really wrong.
Originally Posted by texashillcountry
FWIW your bike will develop tics and other sounds just to mess with you and you can drive yourself crazy looking for the cause.
^^^ What they said.

My 93 FLHS makes different sounds on different days. If the weather is hot, it's different than if the weather is cold. If I ride it hard, it's different than if I just grandpa along.

Your exhaust flange nuts are only going to be torqued to 'around' 8-10 ft/lbs. I do mine at 110 in/lbs. Replace the gaskets (James Gaskets) and you might as well get more than two of them (get the 6 pack), as you'll undoubtedly screw up a couple of them when you install them. The James Gasket nuts are also highly recommended over the OEM junk. You will need to re-tighten them a few times (I did mine 3-4 times) before they hold torque.

EVO's will make a lot of valve train noise. Especially if an aftermarket cam has been installed. That's normal.

Old 09-11-2017, 03:56 PM
muaymendez1
Novice

I just ordered a set of rocker lockers. I hear that the valve train noise is ok but I don't feel comfortable on long rides. I have actually started keeping to main roads at night just increase the motor blows up.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by muaymendez1
I hear that the valve train noise is ok but I don't feel comfortable on long rides. I have actually started keeping to main roads at night just increase the motor blows up.
Oh yee of little faith!

Old 09-11-2017, 09:01 PM
muaymendez1
Novice

Broke into.........I mean snuck into a 5 mile stretch of road known as a park drive in jersey. Under the George Washington bridge. The park classes at sunset.....pitch black until you get under the bridge awesome view with my lady behind me but I just kept thinking how it would suck to push "nickh" onto the road a few miles ahead of I broke down.....
does anyone think that maybe the clicking can be from my ignition system. The p.o installed a dyna2000but I'm not sure if he wired it correctly. It was set on normal vows. Curve 2 and single fire mode. But when I change it to dual fire I get no difference in riding. Just a thought because I am still getting popping on feel between 2600 to 2100 rpm.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:12 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by muaymendez1
I just ordered a set of rocker lockers. I hear that the valve train noise is ok but I don't feel comfortable on long rides. I have actually started keeping to main roads at night just increase the motor blows up.
Hi Jose,

The kit you ordered is actually my Rockout kit.... thanks

Just FYI.... you ordered the wrong kit, but I'll fix the order before it goes out.

Cheers,

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following users liked this post:
Hackd (09-12-2017)

Quick Reply: 91 flhs intake leak, ticking and uneven pkugs