EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Throttle and idle question(s)...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 05:12 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by tar_snake
Yes, the new cables took care of the slop. The old idle cable was about an inch longer than the new one and the cable housing was the same though. Weird.

Yes, that's what I was letting that rizzo turd realize, I can tune it to idle quite well by ear, and if I idle it (by ear or by tach/rpm on my timing light) at what you have in the video, it's where it coughs really badly if I barely tough the throttle, but when I idle it around 700 or 750, it'll be okay.

Yes, been over to that site checking things already, heh.
Originally Posted by tar_snake
The cheapo-deluxe CV I bought before this one (Chinese made I believe since all the screws on it were metric, unlike on my original and this new one) ran exactly the same way. Had to idle the bike low to stop the gawdawful cough when trying to turn the throttle.

Maybe one day if I can get out of this debt, I'll try a s&s.
Interesting. The obvious conclusion for the moment is that this isn't carb related, since the same problem happened with two different units.

Can you put a vid up on YouTube showing this happening?

Old 09-17-2017, 05:24 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 961 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
Interesting. The obvious conclusion for the moment is that this isn't carb related, since the same problem happened with two different units.

Can you put a vid up on YouTube showing this happening?
Hmmm...not sure if my cheap-o tracfone does that, oh wait...my camera does though I think. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I do think I should also say though, that other than that particular problem(?) the bike runs smooth as silk and has all the ***** it needs. I even had it up to 102 the other day at about 2/3 throttle. Not a hiccup, cough, sputter, wobble, shake, nothing. Ran nice and smooth and sounded damn good, *and* at normal speeds (60 mph and lower in the correct gears) it's getting ~48 mpg at the moment.

Also, all intake gaskets are new, everything on it to do with the carb/intake is new *except* the VOES. Hmmm...I forgot about that thing until just now. Could one of those smallish hoses to that thing be leaking and cause this problem? Maybe timing is off?

Last edited by tar_snake; 09-17-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:23 AM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member

Received 961 Likes on 458 Posts

Okay, tried to make video's...my tracfone sucked and sound was garbage, and my good camera was a PITA to hold and made the videos *huge* in file size (20 seconds was 88MB! I have satellite internet and have a capped amount of GB's I can use per month before it drops me to dial-up speeds, so I can't really go uploading and downloading videos of that size whenever I like, unfortunately).

One thing did happen though, When I raised the rpm's back up to 1000, I messed with the throttle and only once got the dreaded super-cough (sounds like a .22 going off). Then got the bike on the road and it hasn't done it again.

I was presuming that it *would* be the same even after the new cables were installed, and that's why I was worried. So, it seems the cables really were the culprit (at least for the time being). I'll give it a couple of weeks and see what happens and come back if anything new rears its ugly head.