EVO All Evo Model Discussion

94 road king... Any stock style exhaust that let you pull the clutch cable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:31 AM
ZachE
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 94 road king... Any stock style exhaust that let you pull the clutch cable?

Hi Guys,

I've got a 94 road king that I put a lot of miles on, and ended up throwing the stock head pipes back on because the duals I had on kept cracking.

My stock pipes are starting to rust and get thin behind the rear head, so I'm looking for another set of take offs. I gather that from 08 backward fit just fine, as I've already got the flanges cut off mine to take the late model style slip on muffler clamps.

I'm curious, if any of the years that will bolt onto a 1994 don't require pulling the exhaust to remove the transmission right side cover to get at the cable/throw out bearing.

That just seemed like a stupid design on harleys part. Not that it takes an afternoon to pull the exhaust, but just that you damn near have to over one or two allen bolts.

Cheers,

Zach

Old 03-13-2018, 10:59 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

You can either do the ex removal, or cut an Allen key short to have clearance. BTW- Harley STILL mounts the rear axle in the wrong direction. You have to remove the ex end can to pull the axle...(at least on Dyna's).
One of the first "mods" to do is to fix this.
EDIT-
While you have the clutch actuator apart, you might install a Burley EZ Boy clutch device. Best 20 bucks you'll spend on ur bike. No, I don't get anything from them. Reduces clutch pull 40%.

Also, I've got a stock full system from my 1995 Dyna superglide. Probably rusty as heck. Don't know if they'll fit your RK. Come to think of it, probably won't fit. Oh well.

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 03-13-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:31 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Hi Zach, as you already comment, any stock system up to 2008 will fit your bike. Some '07 and all '08 sets have O2 ports, so will need blanks to fill them. I have an '08 SuperTrapp on my 1990 Glide below.

As for access to the cable/throw out bearing, I hardly ever need that! An alternative to the Burly is a new clutch cable. I have a H-D Diamondback, but I gather Barnett make a similar one. It's so remarkably smooth and light I took off my Clutchlite (similar to a Burly). On some bikes, including mine, they steal some of the free play in the system and make adjustment critical.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:57 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by ZachE
Hi Guys,

I've got a 94 road king that I put a lot of miles on, and ended up throwing the stock head pipes back on because the duals I had on kept cracking.

My stock pipes are starting to rust and get thin behind the rear head, so I'm looking for another set of take offs. I gather that from 08 backward fit just fine, as I've already got the flanges cut off mine to take the late model style slip on muffler clamps.

I'm curious, if any of the years that will bolt onto a 1994 don't require pulling the exhaust to remove the transmission right side cover to get at the cable/throw out bearing.

That just seemed like a stupid design on harleys part. Not that it takes an afternoon to pull the exhaust, but just that you damn near have to over one or two allen bolts.

Cheers,

Zach
Yeah, it's not the best design. I always thought terminating the clutch cable inside the motor was a bone-headed idea. On my Softail, I have a 2 into 1 system. I can gain access on mine by removing the one muffler, then loosening the header clamps enough to pull the header outward the inch or so I need to get the last screws out of the transmission cover.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:56 AM
ZachE
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Appreciate it guys! From studying the microfiche and pictures online, it looks like they didn't change the design enough to between 94 and 08 to gain that access.

I like the idea of a 2:1 for the scavenging. I haven't found one that is half way quiet. I tow a camper trailer, and had a set of super-trapp look alike slip on's when I bought her. Damn near box your ears out with the sound bouncing back off the trailer going up the mountains. 3rd gear and 4k rpm makes for a screamer.

It looks like the fullsac dual conversion kit would replace the rusted pipe I've got and gain access at the expense of some low end torque. https://fullsac.com/product/true-dua...8-flh-touring/

Anyone tried one of those? The right side pipe slips into the existing front cylinder head pipe and connects to the right side muffler, so it'd be down-right easy to get out of the way. We do a lot of road tripping, so when ever I make a change to the bike I try to move in a direction that takes fewer tools and gives easier access if I do need to open something up.

Cheers,

Zach

Old 03-14-2018, 09:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by ZachE
I like the idea of a 2:1 for the scavenging. I haven't found one that is half way quiet.
Buy a real SuperTrapp - Supermeg! Great performance, very smooth running (at least my Glide is) and tunable for sound output. Not sure how, but there must be a way to reduce that echo off your trailer, a deflector of some sort?

I have tried a Fullsac TD kit, some years ago. It was OK, but TDs typically give a torque dip right where most of us ride (did on my bike) which the Supermeg cured and then some.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:31 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,810 Likes on 3,315 Posts

How about a pipe with quiet baffles and turn outs? Like on baggers.......

Old 03-19-2018, 08:13 AM
Jagg11
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If your kinda handy with a welder and like the 2 into 1 style, take your stock pipe and cut off the left side weld the hole and you'll have a 2 into 1 that functions pretty well.