EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Crate Motor or Factory Reman

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:08 PM
jbhoyle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crate Motor or Factory Reman

Just did the top end on my Evo($1300 with me doing the labor). One of the owners at my local dealer tried to talk me into a crate motor. Said I can do the swap myself, get 2yr/24000 mile warranty. Just have to send my motor in first so HD can put my Ser# on new motor for registration purposes. Engine swap-$2100 plus extras (fluids, filters etc) The only reason I didn't is I wanted a little more motor. I did some headwork, cam change and a few other things.
ORIGINAL: 89Classic

Thanks guys for the info..

But i really don't need all that extra hp, stock is fine for me, i'm never in no hurry to get where i'm going. But what bothers me is the crate motor is a 99 model right, well my motor is rubber mounted and if i remember right when i was last at the hd shop here, as in it's 100 miles away, the crate motor they had there looked just like the one in my wifes 93 FXSTC which is bolted to the frame. The front motor mount on the FLHTC looks longer than the one on the FXSTC, so will this 99 crate motor fit into the frame of my bike.
As for $$$, i just want to save as much as i can...

my FLHTC
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...cture1_079.jpg

My wifes FXSTC
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...Picture001.jpg

Old 12-20-2007, 10:21 PM
BruceHarrisJr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey James, I am new to the Harley world and because of that and some other compelling reasons I had my '95 Ultra's engine remanufactured by Harley-Davidson. www.davishd.com is my local dealer and they performed the engine removal and installation. Although I only have about 1,400 miles on the engine thus far I plan to put some 30,000 miles on it during it's first year of operation under warranty. For me, a stock engine with an unlimited mileage nationwide warranty suited me just fine. I am an www.ironbutt.com rider and the peace ofmind of the warranty and having a factory spec engine that is not overly stressed after running for eighteen hours per day; day-after-day works for me. I also feel that, with proper maintenance, receipts and accurate records that a genuine Harley-Davidson remanufactured engine will enhance the resale value of your bike some day.
FWIW; Davis HD charged me eight hours of labor at $65/hour for engine removal/installation. Good luck in your decision making process...

Old 12-21-2007, 10:39 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

one thing u have to wonder about james is 89 to about 93 engine cases werent all they could be,quality of aluminum in cases was erratic.as case numbers dont matter anymore think hard about the crate motor.by the way all evo cases are the same,doesnt matter what model just optical illusion.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:47 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

by the way,budget about 3200 for the crate then throw a couple more ina sock for gotta haves u know ,its apart lets see could put new primary chain on ?that new primary self adjuster would be nice?Thats a spiffy new air cleaner cover and different? know what I mean?

Old 12-22-2007, 09:42 AM
kiwidave2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you are panicking and pulling out your wallet too soon.

My bike has the same miles as yours. Had one rebore....but the bottom end doesn't need touching.

I have read of many, many Evos getting to 200,000 miles before they do.

So it's my guess that the rest of the bottom end is the same way. So i'm going to do one of two things, put a crate motor in it or have the old one remand.
See, you are guessing and going for the costliest option immediately.

You need to find the best possible engine builder near you, rip out the motor and take it to him....and let him check specs of rods etc and once he gives you a thorough rundown of where you are at, THEN get the jobs that NEED DOING done. Make sureit is a shop you can trust.

The last guy to work on the motor may have had a sloppy job done inside the cam chest.

The Evo is a great motor with proven longevity, ESPECIALLY bottom end wise.

Old 12-22-2007, 11:46 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Something else to consider is that the crate, being a '99 version, will have the less desirable left side main bearing set-up. It'll also have a different oil-filter attachment than your '98. That isn't a big deal as it is easily changed.

I have a crate '99 motor witing to go into my '87. I did the crate for the ease on me, and the time involved. Plus my '87 cases have a crack in them from the previous owner doing a "repair." If I had my druthers, I'd have gotten an S&S motor. But money is the be all-end all.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Uncledoc
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting a 96 custom soft-tail that has a 107 el bruto motor on it, I have never had and el bruto but have heard good things in the past, this bike is with a 5 speed tranny open 3 1/2 inch primary and told it will nothing but jump off the ground and really haul. I have had big bore and strokers in the past what else can you tell me about this motor. the bike over all I can pick it up for 6G with only about 35 thousand on it, worth it???

Old 02-09-2016, 04:44 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 414 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncledoc
Getting a 96 custom soft-tail that has a 107 el bruto motor on it, I have never had and el bruto but have heard good things in the past, this bike is with a 5 speed tranny open 3 1/2 inch primary and told it will nothing but jump off the ground and really haul. I have had big bore and strokers in the past what else can you tell me about this motor. the bike over all I can pick it up for 6G with only about 35 thousand on it, worth it???
Hey Doc. Welcome to the forums. Go start a new thread. This one is 9 years old. Lol