EVO All Evo Model Discussion

What is so great about FXR's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Springer95
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is so great about FXR's?

Whoa, calm down everybody...this isn't a rip on FXR's. I'm asking seriously. Evrybody that owns one LOVES it. Many people say they're the best HD ever built. I have never ridden one. Owned a FXD for awhile. What is different about the FXR from the FXD? They look great, btw.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Y2K
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,176 Likes on 1,332 Posts
Default RE: What is so great about FXR's?

Great handling and light,I had an early '84 and loved it,wish I still had it but I had to move on to a bagger for the OL and I to tour with.
While still an engineer at Harley Erik Buell designed the unique frame which helps explain the great handling.
My E '84 had a dry weight of only 575lbs,not much more than a Sportster.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Better handling due to a stiffer frame. (Notice that "V" design?) When it was introduced it was the best of all worlds--a rubber mounted big twin with a sportster front end. I miss mine.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:08 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

HD dropped the fxr because the frame was too expensive to mass produce Over the years I've installed 96/113 S&S motors in these frames What a great sport bike The dyna frames were cheaper to mass produce but not friendly to big stroker motors Say goodbye to a great frame!!!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:05 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you have to do is look at my baby, isn't she beautiful? Fastest and best handling Harley I've ever owned and had my first Pan chopper in 1966. Unless I wreck this one so bad it can't be repaired this will be my last Harley and this one goes to my grave with me.

Soon as the 85" cylinders and ported SEheads are installed tomorrow, we'll see what she has got. We did the clearancing on the .595 lift cam and buttoned up the cam chest on Saturday. There will be a quite a few surprised Twin Cams in a week or two, I can tell ya that !

Old 05-05-2008, 04:05 PM
nutmagnet
Advanced

Bought a 92 fxrp at an auction a couple years ago and love it.Makes it tough to get on the old 70 flh sometimes.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:43 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The FXR frame is very similar to a Colin Seeley racing frame in layout, which also used that large V shapefor the side tubes. So it is very stiff which is where its excellent handling comes from.

Harley decided it was too expensive, but they alsowanted to change the look of that range of bikes to more retro, like my 70s SuperGlide. That bike had a hinge in the middle....

Old 05-06-2008, 12:54 PM
ksscooter
Cruiser

I had a 1985 FXR and it was a great bike. Handled wonderfully, had the EVO motor, and was trouble free. The only thing I didn't like about it was the two tone silver gray and maroon paint. Golly it was ugly.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:08 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The star in the movie "HD and the Marlboro man" was a chopped FXR w/rigid struts, flat seat and brushed bare steel tank. Loved the look of it!

Old 05-06-2008, 03:49 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

Lowered my FXR 2.5" in the rear, raked it 6 degrees and went 3" over on the forks with 6" risres and Drags. Built a decent 80" motor and upgraded the brakes front and rear. Bottom line, the speed, hadelining and performance were excellent. Had zero problems haulin' *** in the twisties and ripping on back roads. Was it a ZX-11 no, but it sure as hell would give most non sport bikes one hell of a run. I rode and wrenched on many Dyna's, they looked more nostalgic and that was nice, but they simply could not handle as well as the FXR frame.

Quick Reply: What is so great about FXR's?