EVO All Evo Model Discussion

primary chain adjustment and swing arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 02:27 PM
windsoreight
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default primary chain adjustment and swing arm bushings

I have a couple of questions on my 95 e-glide. I noticed an intermittent rattle noise coming from the primary cover. I took the inspection cover off to find an absurd amount of play in the chain. I brought the adjuster up an inch and have about 1/2" of slack. How much play or deflection in the chain should I have? Also I have a set of the Sta-bo rear control arm bushings and no instructions. How do you remove the factory bushings? Thanks guys.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:25 PM
89 hs stroker
1st Gear

hi-- the primary chain adjustment is 5/8 to 7/8 in cold check at the top of the chain. swing arme bushing must be prest out with a arbor press best take it to a dealer for this. good luck

Old 07-05-2009, 07:43 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Stabo bushings,go inside the mount that bolts to the frame on either side of the swing arm.Support the bike frame and under the oil pan,remove one side at a time,install the StaBo into the rubber bushing,turning it so the hole will line up,reinstalle mount.then do other side.you may have to remove the exhaust or at least get it out of the way.Good Luck

Old 07-05-2009, 08:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by 89 hs stroker
hi-- the primary chain adjustment is 5/8 to 7/8 in cold check at the top of the chain. swing arme bushing must be prest out with a arbor press best take it to a dealer for this. good luck
My local Yamaha dealer is much closer to my home than the nearest Harley dealer. They were happy to press out my old swingarm bushes.

If you have too much slack on the primary chain it may be time to change it. How many miles has the bike done?

Old 07-05-2009, 09:16 AM
windsoreight
Intermediate

The bike has 69000 miles. But when I bought the bike last year the motor and trans were just rebuilt. I am unsure how old the chain is. It had 2-3 inches of slack. I am planning on replacing the chain and the clutch this winter if they make it.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

3" of slack sounds like something wasn't right. Was the adjuster lock down bolt tight? I wonder if the adjuster slipped down or just was never adjusted after the rebuild. Is the puck still on the adjuster? That much slack should not happen between oil changes. I'd be pulling the cover off to see what's going on in there. Somethin' ain't right.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:42 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,499 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Easy to press out softail swingarm bearings, use a couple of sockets, one with a diameter that is a little smaller diameter than the bearing, the other one larger, one on each side of the bearing, run a bolt through, put a nut on it and crank it down, bearing will push right out, don`t forget the snap ring. Hope this makes sense...

Sorry, I read E glide and was thinking softail...doh

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 07-05-2009 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Not paying attention...
Old 07-05-2009, 12:11 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,095 Posts

Do you mean clevblocs when you say stabo bushings? (about 2.5" round rubber with a steel plate molded to it?) Or are you actually replacing the swingarm bushings?

Old 07-05-2009, 06:58 PM
windsoreight
Intermediate

Yeah the swing arm bushings. I already have the swing arm off and will be pressing the new bushings in tomorrow at work. I am not sure the deal on the primary chains. I am probably over doing the amount of play. It was enough to hear a chain slap intermittantly. The adjuster was below hole for the access cover. I moved the adjuster about 1" to get 1/2" of play. which moved the nut to the center of the access hole. I bought the bike last fall and never had the cover off to check the play. I will keep tabs on it. I am hoping to make it till winter. I plan on tearing the bike down to repaint the frame and tins.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 AM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Easy to press out softail swingarm bearings, use a couple of sockets, one with a diameter that is a little smaller diameter than the bearing, the other one larger, one on each side of the bearing, run a bolt through, put a nut on it and crank it down, bearing will push right out, don`t forget the snap ring. Hope this makes sense...

Sorry, I read E glide and was thinking softail...doh
Great tip! Thanks for the screw up.
gonna do my swingarm later this year (dyna) and will try this.

sorry, don't want to hijack this thread

Last edited by schwangster; 07-06-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: apology

Quick Reply: primary chain adjustment and swing arm bushings