EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Why is FXR acting squirrely?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:36 PM
tom1340
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is FXR acting squirrely?

My '93 FXRS has 80k miles. About 10k ago, it started handling funny on corners and uneven roads, like one of the wheels is slipping sideways just a little. It's gotten worse in last 10k. Now I slow down on all corners and really hang tight on the handle bars. There is a little torsional twist in the front forks when I try to turn the bars with the wheel held firm, but it seems very little. I can't get any lateral movement out of the rear wheel/swing arm when I put bike on lift and push sideways against the wheel with my hand. The cast wheels are in good shape and the wheel bearings are tight. I've read about guys putting in aftermarket bushing in the rear swing arm to tighten up the ride, but I'm not excited about that. I just want to find the OEM part that is causing the problem, and replace it. Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks
Tom

Old 10-03-2010, 05:28 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If you haven't done it replace all the frame /motor trans rubber mounts Rear and front If the cleve blocks aren't leaking silicone leave them be Also replace the stabilizers if you have not done so FXR's are great bikes much better than the Dynas If you need P/N's for these items let us know

Old 10-03-2010, 07:19 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

My guess is rear axle bearings and races. I know you gave them a yank, but I would pull the wheel, check and repack them just to be sure.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:21 PM
tom1340
Novice
Default Thnks for reponse

Thanks sqdealgeorge and bikerlaw,
My first thought was the wheel bearings, but I've checked and repacked them since the problem started. I suspect replacing the rubber mounts and stabilizers is the next step, but was hoping for a way to confirm the problem before pulling the swing arm, which I understand can turn into quite a job if the pivot bolt is frozen in place.
I love my fxr.
Thanks again.
T

Old 10-04-2010, 07:36 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

You mentioned some fork twist. I had a 90FXR (wish I still had it) that I added a fork brace to that helped considerably.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:52 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

Have you checked your tires? you might have a broken belt that causes the tire to look lop side when you spin it. Or they be worn out. old tires tend to get slippery where they use to be grabby.,,

Old 10-04-2010, 10:03 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the front fork pinch bolts, they don't come loose very often, but when they do the problew is ckose to what you described. cupped tires will also do it too.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Check out www.glide-pro.com for some very informative clips on the HD "wobble" and possible fixes. I recently put the Glide Pro kit and Custom Cycle s.s. cleave bearings on my '91 FlHS along with Progressive Suspension "variable rate" front fork springs and wow what a difference in cornering and got rid of the "bagger wobble" at high speeds too.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:19 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,620 Likes on 2,094 Posts

They use the same swing arm as a FL. Check this thread and then your swingarm.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...-swingarm.html

Old 10-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Ramona
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tom1340
My first thought was the wheel bearings, but I've checked and repacked them since the problem started.

I suspect replacing the rubber mounts and stabilizers is the next step, but was hoping for a way to confirm the problem before pulling the swing arm, which I understand can turn into quite a job if the pivot bolt is frozen in place.
Usually the front motor mount is foolproof unless it has been contaminated by oil....check anyway.
Front and top stabilizers should be checked.....any slack/replace.
Swingarm is not really that hard to do....the stock Harley bushings are only bad if they are leaking......the slack in your swingarm is almost always caused by worn nylon spacer/bushings #47513-80, and worn rubber do-nuts # 47564-86. When 'tapping' the swingarm pivot, thread a 'deep' nut onto the pivot shaft, and then thread a bolt into the 'deep' nut and do your 'tapping' on the bolt rather than the shaft itself....saves the threads.

Also check your upper/lower shock mounts......do an alignment, take your time and have fun!

Quick Reply: Why is FXR acting squirrely?