EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Tranny removal tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tranny removal tips?

So it seems my tranny case in my 89 flhtp has seen better days and is in dire welder attention so I found another tranny , it has the supposedly beefier case and it has a 2005 gearset in with some kind of baker shifting mechanism. But enough about whats going in, I was hoping yous fine gents can give me some tips or an over view of steps involved with R&Ring the gearbox? I've rebuilt this tranny so I'm familiar with that part but what's involved with removing the tranny ?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:22 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Let's see, support the engine and tranny, remove the swing arm pivot shaft, now would be a good time to upgrade some of these components especialy if they are originals. Sometimes it can be a bear getting the shaft out, sometimes it just about falls out. Use never seize, etc on the shaft when you replace it. Make sure you line up the engine and tranny to the primary. Then be sure to re-align the drive train as per your manual. A little extra time spent here will save you a lot of grief later. Oh while it's on the bench check the shifter pawl adjustment and drop the oil pan and clean it out. Hope this helps.
John

Old 07-03-2012, 10:45 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks John, the swing arm shaft and realignment is probably my biggest fear. I would think that as long as the motor doesn't shift and the spacing at the rear of the gear case is the same as original then sliding the shaft back through should get it pretty darn close to what it was?

Old 07-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

It depends on how far it was out to start with. Primary will hold the tranny in position but you need to check the alignment afterwards. At times like these, on a high mileage bike, its a good idea to just roll up your sleeves and think "Hey.....what jobs would be way easier with the tranny out and how many things can you check and adjust as it goes back together?"....or you could just slap the tranny back in and hope for the best ;-)

Don't clean the tranny case out unless you are going to replace the needle bearings as stuff can get washed in there and never come out again and that will munt your needles.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:03 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Had another thought,does the rear wheel need to Be removed or can I simply remove the swing arm shaft and lift the rear of
The tranny out of the swing arm?

Old 07-04-2012, 12:08 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Worth a try!

Old 07-04-2012, 03:55 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

I actually don't have to do anything to the tranny as he ( the mecheanic ) rebuilt it the year before and he swapped it out on his flh for a 6 speed, he said I just need to pull some special high performance bearing off the main shaft and replace it with the bearing race and he's got the tool for that. Ill inspect the parts in the swing arm and if anything needs to be replaced that are in real bad shape I'll have to get them fedexed here from out of town. Got a 2500 mile week end Planned and don't want to be taking a rain check on it.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:14 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

I dove in first thing this morning after work 5:40 am and got everything removed and I'm down to removing the front pulley and front tranny bolts, now as for the swing arm, the manual says to use a drift and drive out the pivot shaft which I'm thinking is done from the right side as it already looks like its been beat on, now manual does't say whether to remove the nut from the left side before drifting out, can I get some clarity on this step before i muck this part up please?

Old 07-04-2012, 08:49 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to remove the rubber isolators.
John

Old 07-04-2012, 11:20 AM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member

So remove the rubber isolators then drive the pivot shaft out from the right side?

Quick Reply: Tranny removal tips?