EVO All Evo Model Discussion

94 flstc oil and tranny fluid change.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM
wild_one
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 flstc oil and tranny fluid change.

Hi all.

Im a little confused on a few items on the oil and tranny fluid changes. On the oil change it says to "clean the tappet oil screen located under the plug on the cam case near the rear cylinder tappet block" and Im not exactly sure where that is. I have to believe that most of you evo gurus can point me in the right location.
As for the tranny fluid change, i adjusted the primary chain tension and changed the fluid per the directions for the "primary lube" but the fluid in the transmission looks just as clean as the fluid i just put in the primary. are these connected somewhere because the book doesnt say anything about changing the transmission fluid (that i could find anyway)

Thanks for all the help

wild

Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Transmission and primary are not connected on the big twin (but they are on the Sportster). Since the transmission isn't connected to the engine, the fluid normally doesn't show much sign of darkening or contamination, since it's not exposed to by-products of combustion. What you want to watch for is metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug. A few filings is normal, but chunks of metal might indicate a problem.

There are three screw plugs on the right side of the engine, two on the top of the oil pump, and one on the right rear corner of the gearcase, itself, behind the rear tappet block. The tappet oil screen is behind the screw plug on the gearcase.

If you don't have one, I highly recommend you get the service manual for your bike. It will answer this and many other questions that will come up.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:04 PM
wild_one
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the answer Uncle G. Transmission fluid will be changed tomorrow and I will look for the screw plug your talking about. I do have a service manual but it did not show a picture of where to look for this.

wild