Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 RKC fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:18 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 RKC fluid change

Okay guys and gals, here may be a question with an obvious answer, but here goes anyway.

I have an 07 Road King Classic due for it's 5K service. I was determined to do this myself and save some $$. I have the manual, and YES, I have read it. So, I drained the old oil, inspected the drain plug magnet, replaced the drain plug o-ring, re-installed the plug, changed the oil filter, and filled with fresh Amsoil. Now, here's the part where I have the question. When I pulled the oil dipstick while working on the bike,I thought I'd check the transmission level as well. Before I put the new oil in, there was no fluid on either dipstick. Does the transmission and the engine share the same oil? Or, did I just misread something. I filled the engine with oil and fluid appeared on both dipsticks. It looked to be the same fluid and the same viscosity.

Sorry, if this is a newbie question, but it's the first time I've done this on my bike.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:13 AM
albatross
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 216 Posts
Default RE: 2007 RKC fluid change

I believe they share the pan but are different compartments. Supposedly you can run the same fluid in all three holes (engine, tranny and primary). I don't personally, but that could explain the similar fluids.Adding oil to the engine shouldn't raise the transmission level. What drain plug(s) did you pull?

Old 03-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ckgdrums

Okay guys and gals, here may be a question with an obvious answer, but here goes anyway.

I have an 07 Road King Classic due for it's 5K service. I was determined to do this myself and save some $$. I have the manual, and YES, I have read it. So, I drained the old oil, inspected the drain plug magnet, replaced the drain plug o-ring, re-installed the plug, changed the oil filter, and filled with fresh Amsoil. Now, here's the part where I have the question. When I pulled the oil dipstick while working on the bike,I thought I'd check the transmission level as well. Before I put the new oil in, there was no fluid on either dipstick. Does the transmission and the engine share the same oil? Or, did I just misread something. I filled the engine with oil and fluid appeared on both dipsticks. It looked to be the same fluid and the same viscosity.

Sorry, if this is a newbie question, but it's the first time I've done this on my bike.
ckgdrums here's what you have on your 07 RK. There are 3 fluids in your bike. Engine oil, transmission fluid, and primary fluid. If you have the manaul take a look at the page that show where the drain plugs are for these 3 fluids. Under the bike you have 2 drain plugs. The one facing straight down is your tranny plug. On the front of the pan facing toward your front tire is the engine oil drain plug. Prior to dropping these plugs, remove your oil dipstick and set it aside. Also remove your tranny dip stick and set it aside. Start by draining the one facing down (tranny) and when it is empty reinstall the plug with new o-rings. Next move to the one facing forward (engine oil) and do the same procedure. Now move around to the side of the bike with the primary cover and remove the primary drain plug/screw. My 06 drained from the side but the 08's have a plug on the bottom (not sure about 07 location... see manual) drain that fluid and then replace the plug. Now comes the fun part... filter removal (sometimes just a little messy) remove the old filter, reinstall new filter (put a little oil on the filter rubber gasket). Now that all the holes are drained and buttoned back up you can put the fluids of YOUR CHOICE in all of the locations. Fire the bike up and let it run for a little while and then check all your dip stick fopr the proper levels. Now you are done. Pouring oil into either of these holes will not raise the level in any of the other holes. They are all seperate fill and drain points. Good luck !!

Old 03-14-2008, 10:32 AM
stubby
Road Captain

No, they don't share the same oil. If you are curious on how much oil there is in the tranny. Drain it into an emptyt container and measure. Then replace with the amount recomended in the manual.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:32 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

I pulled the engine oil drain plug. Or, so I thought. It was dark and nasty and smelled like engine oil... LOL. It was right where the manual said it was... I dunno, I guess I'm just concerned that I may have done something wrong. I followed the instructions to the letter, and everything is working fine and not making any unusual noises.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:02 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks, Pep! That's what I wanted to know....