EVO All Evo Model Discussion

I was discriminated against

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 12:20 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by kp877
You know what bothers me. Just because any one of us chooses to ride an evo doesn't mean we have any less income or money to spend on a bike. The guy behind the counter makes less for certain and the attitude is just ridiculous. They should be happy I want to own something that is going to always need parts. Service income should always exceed front end gross if they are doing it right. A good GM would retain us all as customers.
Twinkie riding chrome ****** make up for what we don't spend at dealerships.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:45 PM
wombat457
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadghost
...So, a few people here need to read ZEN and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, then realize the value and the fun of maintaining your own bike. It's what REAL bikers are made of.
Learning to maintain your bike is one thing, doing a rebuild or anything major is another. I am one of those "mechanically retarded" riders you mentioned, and have no problem admitting that.

If I could turn wrenches on my bike I would; however, I wont do anything that I am not capable of doing at the risk of screwing it up then having to find someone to fix it. I don't think that makes me, or anyone else who can't do their own work, any less of a rider than anyone else.

With that being said, I envy those who can rebuild motors and do all their own work and to have the tools and means to do so.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:46 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,338 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by kp877
You know what bothers me. Just because any one of us chooses to ride an evo doesn't mean we have any less income or money to spend on a bike. The guy behind the counter makes less for certain and the attitude is just ridiculous. They should be happy I want to own something that is going to always need parts. Service income should always exceed front end gross if they are doing it right. A good GM would retain us all as customers.
You shouldn't blame the parts guy.
He is just doing what he is told by the higher ups.

I blame the accountants at the head office myself.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:48 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by wombat457
Learning to maintain your bike is one thing, doing a rebuild or anything major is another. I am one of those "mechanically retarded" riders you mentioned, and have no problem admitting that.

If I could turn wrenches on my bike I would; however, I wont do anything that I am not capable of doing at the risk of screwing it up then having to find someone to fix it. I don't think that makes me, or anyone else who can't do their own work, any less of a rider than anyone else.

With that being said, I envy those who can rebuild motors and do all their own work and to have the tools and means to do so.
FWIW EVO's aren't hard to work on.
Actually they are really easy to work on.
They just look intimidating if you haven't done it before.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:56 PM
wombat457
Road Master

Texashillcountry,

Thanks for the comments, and yeah they are a bit intimidating when I have never touched a motor before, other than servicing and basic stuff. I might look around for an old beat up evo engine to mess around with. That way, I can learn something and if I mess it up then it wont matter.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:25 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Texashillcountry,

Thanks for the comments, and yeah they are a bit intimidating when I have never touched a motor before, other than servicing and basic stuff. I might look around for an old beat up evo engine to mess around with. That way, I can learn something and if I mess it up then it wont matter.
FWIW every time I have done something for the first time I always think "Damn that was easier than I thought!!!"

There is nothing wrong with having a good indy do the work though.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:08 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I have most always done my own work, being an auto mechanic by trade.
There have been times recently that I have been to damn tired or working late. I have turned a tire replacement and a carb rebuild over to a trusted indy here.

Taking care of and knowing how to ck basic things is a responsibility of the owner. Be it a cage ,bike or whatever. All of our 4 kids (2 girls) can change oil,ck tires and do basic repairs to their cars or bikes.
Each vehicle we own has a service manual and they use it if they don't know. Kinda a long learning process but we all had to start somewhere.

WP

Old 04-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50

Taking care of and knowing how to ck basic things is a responsibility of the owner. Be it a cage ,bike or whatever. All of our 4 kids (2 girls) can change oil,ck tires and do basic repairs to their cars or bikes.
Each vehicle we own has a service manual and they use it if they don't know. Kinda a long learning process but we all had to start somewhere.

WP
Damn. That's the way I was taught, and my son. You must be prepared to help yourself.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:18 PM
wombat457
Road Master

I agree 100% with being self sufficient, no argument there at all. What Texashillcountry said is also pertinent, it's a matter of not being intimidated and take the learning curve. I do all the work on my own "cars" as I know them and understand them, the bike will fall into that as well, at some point.

I was brought up to be self sufficient and that is what I taught (or tried to teach) my two step sons as well, if you own a car know how to do the basics at least.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:09 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

When you end up having to walk through some ankle deep water with those zip up boots on let me know how dry your feet stay.

Quick Reply: I was discriminated against