EVO All Evo Model Discussion

91 flhs ignition toggle

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 05:57 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowboy812
Alright, it runs! (For a second, the battery was dead from sitting so long and our jumper box kinda blew up lol)

However, when we start it, oil starts pouring out at the bottom of the air filter. What causes this? I know oil goes through that area, but this is a lot of oil pumping through.
Bike sitting too long without running the motor.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:10 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,008 Likes on 2,819 Posts

........deleted

Last edited by Hey Man; 08-24-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Cowboy812
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Bike sitting too long without running the motor.
so what can I do to fix it?

Old 08-24-2018, 08:43 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

so what can I do to fix it?
Pick a day of the week and fire up the bike for at least 5 minutes ( if you don't ride it that week that is).
What you are experiencing is called sumping.
What is basically happening is the oil is getting past the check valve and filling up the crank case.
There really isn't a fix for this other than running the motor as that will pump the oil out of the crank case, in the case of a case breather engine (like yours) it comes out the breather that for some damn reason people like to hook to the back of their air filter plates.
One option is just rout the breather to air and if you don't start bike for a while put a catch can under the breather hose,
That way all that oil doesn't get dumped all over your motor.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:52 PM
Cowboy812
Advanced

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Pick a day of the week and fire up the bike for at least 5 minutes ( if you don't ride it that week that is).
What you are experiencing is called sumping.
What is basically happening is the oil is getting past the check valve and filling up the crank case.
There really isn't a fix for this other than running the motor as that will pump the oil out of the crank case, in the case of a case breather engine (like yours) it comes out the breather that for some damn reason people like to hook to the back of their air filter plates.
One option is just rout the breather to air and if you don't start bike for a while put a catch can under the breather hose,
That way all that oil doesn't get dumped all over your motor.
I’m going to pm you, but also...

A friend who plays with Evos a lot recommended cleaning out that check valve, and clearing to oil out of the case. Do you think removing that valve to clean it is worth the effort right now?

Old 08-24-2018, 09:26 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

I’m going to pm you, but also...

A friend who plays with Evos a lot recommended cleaning out that check valve, and clearing to oil out of the case. Do you think removing that valve to clean it is worth the effort right now?
All that valve consists of is a ball bearing a seat and a spring.
Sumping isn't something caused by age of the bike the damn things did it from new.
Now I've never done this but from what I've learned you can lap the seat with a push rod end and get a new ball and spring and that is supposed to reduce the sumping but you can't stop it entirely to the best of my knowledge.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:34 AM
Cowboy812
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
They All Do That, Sir. At least all the bottom breathers, which you have.
thank you, this is my first Evo so I am still learning

Originally Posted by RDHIGH
I own a 92- if the bike has been sitting for a length of time- oil will bleed past the check ball at the oil pump- and down into the crankcase. So if you put MORE oil into the tank- it will have way too much oil in her- and therefore its gonna blow out the breathers in the head. The 91 should actually be vented at the oil pump itself (bottom breather) so someone has updated the motor or just the heads to head venting (top breather). Check to see if you have a short hose at the oil pump thats plugged.- if it has been converted- drain some oil out and try again(its still gonna make a mess- have towels ready). When its run for a bit- she'll be just fine!
how long should I let her run without adding any oil? I saw in another thread someone mentioned removing the spark plugs and running the starter for 30 seconds every 2 minutes until the oil goes back to the oil tank. Is that a good idea?

Old 08-25-2018, 08:45 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,861 Likes on 3,335 Posts

First, Check to see if you still have some oil in the tank. If so just start it up. Run it a few minutes then shut it down and check the level..

Old 08-25-2018, 09:11 AM
Cowboy812
Advanced

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
First, Check to see if you still have some oil in the tank. If so just start it up. Run it a few minutes then shut it down and check the level..
There is minimal oil still in the tank, not even enough to wet the dipstick. I can see the oil using a flashlight, but if it won’t even show up on the dipstick, is that enough?

Old 08-25-2018, 09:26 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,715 Likes on 1,347 Posts

If it sumped after only sitting a week, then fiddling with the check ball is probably in order. At a minimum, take it apart and clean it. If there's some oil in the tank, crank it. Sometimes, if I suspect mine is sumped, I'll start it, run it for 10-15 seconds, stop it, repeat a few times. And always with an oil catch pan under the bike. Like almost everyone else on here with a "bottom breather," my vent is routed to under the bike.

Quick Reply: 91 flhs ignition toggle