Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 10:50 AM
unnnivers
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lifters or what?

Hallo everyone!
I want to ask for advice.
1996 FLHTCU approx 90k miles. One lifter was shot and cam bearing went to end and made whistling sound. This autumn I decided to swap cam and lifters. Installed new EV13 cam, torrington type bearing, breather gear, lifters (aftermarket, don't know producer, bought through a local shop), original pushrods, ignition sensor plate. Shimed cam and gear correct way. Drowned lifters in oil for a hour before installing. New gaskets of course. Pushrods spinned freely, installed according service manual in right places.
Started the engine. Initialy it worked with loud knocking sound as I understond till lifters were pumped with oil. Then it became quieter. I rode some five minutes and it was quieter but some knock still was here. Then next day rode about 20 miles but practically the same picture - when engine gets hot knocking stll was audible. I added a short video from point where is clearly hearable knocking noise. It comes from both rocker boxes as well as from lifter blocks.
Is it possible that new aftermarket lifters dont work correct? Or it is normal for EV13 cam? Before engine works no knocks was here.

Old 11-18-2019, 11:07 AM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Never have installed lifters that only soaked for an hour. Anything I do I let them soak overnight. Why not adjustable pushrods. If I change a cam it's always new adjustables, but that's my preference. The sound to me isn't deep or heavy, is tinny. Almost like a pushrod hitting a tube, but sounds lighter than that.

This manual you have is an HD shop manual right? I've gotten some bad references off anything else. Gonna have to go back over your research and then your work. I dont think it anything drastic if the bike ran well.

Last edited by Bass Player; 11-18-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:32 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,937 Likes on 3,373 Posts

Did you put the pushrods back in their proper position?
longest is front exhaust, next is rear exhaust, next is front intake and shortest it's rear intake..

The following users liked this post:
Scottyxbones (01-24-2020)
Old 11-18-2019, 01:12 PM
unnnivers
Advanced

I double checked position of pushrods. Marked them on removal and rechecked colours, everything was correct. Maybe my misktake was not fully soaked lifters. Do that can hurt them? I hear that it is not a fatal knocking I can live with it but what worries me, before engine work it hadn't such noise. What looks strange to me that lifters became quieter after a short time but not as much as I expect. Tubes aren't hitting I recheck all of them.
Now winter is coming and no riding season anymore. But I have time to tinker with. I decided to go with adjustable pushrods and recheck lifters at the same time,

Old 11-18-2019, 01:24 PM
daven9113
Road Master
Received 294 Likes on 200 Posts

First, if you installed the OEM PRs correctly, then I would be focusing on the no-name lifters. I ran a EV-13 in my bagger, and it does not sound like that. That noise is most certainly lifter failure. I'm dealing with the case of poorly made lifters right now. It's a pain in the ***, but you got to open her up before more damage occurs. Not trying to scare you, but thousands of revolutions a minute can cause damage quickly. Because of my bad lifter experience now, I will buy only American made reputable lifters. Good luck.

The following 3 users liked this post by daven9113:
98hotrodfatboy (11-18-2019), Dehammer (11-19-2019), Racepres (12-25-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 03:26 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,937 Likes on 3,373 Posts

Originally Posted by daven9113
First, if you installed the OEM PRs correctly, then I would be focusing on the no-name lifters. I ran a EV-13 in my bagger, and it does not sound like that. That noise is most certainly lifter failure. I'm dealing with the case of poorly made lifters right now. It's a pain in the ***, but you got to open her up before more damage occurs. Not trying to scare you, but thousands of revolutions a minute can cause damage quickly. Because of my bad lifter experience now, I will buy only American made reputable lifters. Good luck.

Old 11-18-2019, 04:01 PM
Rsbenden
Tourer

Received 256 Likes on 126 Posts

Something is up,I put an EV13 in my Dyna w Johnson hilift lifters n it purrs like a cat, you've got an issue w one of your lifters. my brother put lifters in w/out even soaking em n they pumped rt up.

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 05:24 AM
unnnivers
Advanced

Update:
Searching for ticking noise issues I again removed rocker covers etc and removed lifters. They were oil filled as they should be, but I carefully compared them with old original lifters. And I have found the difference. The new aftermarket lifters have oil hole a bit larger diameter than old ones. I hope this explain ticking and lower oil pressure as it was before. O.K., now I'm searching for oem lifters.​​​​​​​

Old 12-25-2019, 05:40 AM
Ridetothehill
Road Captain

Received 142 Likes on 99 Posts

S&S premium lifters. Feuling also has a good lifter comparable to that. I fill the lifters with an oil can. You can do that or soak them overnight. Regardless of that, they are fully pumped up within about 5 seconds of running.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ridetothehill:
Racepres (12-25-2019), Scottyxbones (01-24-2020)
Old 12-25-2019, 06:41 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,772 Likes on 943 Posts

What brand lifters did you use? YD

Quick Reply: Lifters or what?