EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Oil drain plug leaking

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 12:58 PM
zimm
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Oil drain plug leaking

The oil drain plug in my pan is already oversized, thanks to the previous owner. Even with a new o-ring it still drips. What's the best fix? tap for the next size up? Replace the pan? Fatter o-ring?

Old 12-20-2023, 01:20 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,984 Likes on 2,589 Posts

Well it is winter, I think I would lean towards getting a new pan and fixing it once and for all.

But have you tried some sealant on the threads?

Old 12-20-2023, 01:24 PM
zimm
Road Captain

No not yet. It looks like the dang pans are $300+. Kinda silly to spend that much money on just a stripped drain plug hole.I wonder if it can be tapped to a larger size drain bolt? But even if so, I should drop the pan to do that as well.

Not really sure how this combined transmission/engine oil pan set up works, or if it can be dropped with the engine in place.

Old 12-20-2023, 01:31 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,745 Likes on 929 Posts

Depending on how much meat you have left (based on you mentioning it is already an oversized plug). I would take some measurements and come up with the next size that can be successfully tapped, be it metric or sae.

There is always the opportunity to pull the pan and have a welder weld the bung up, then drill and re-tap, but to me that is when all other options have been exhausted.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (12-24-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 01:33 PM
zimm
Road Captain

I read a couple other threads on here about oversized plugs and that they require a special metal and rubber sealing washer. I'm using the OEM o-ring which seams too small and thin to do the job. The threads I have seem to work just fine.

Old 12-20-2023, 03:07 PM
Tom H
Road Captain
Received 309 Likes on 230 Posts

If the drain plug and the pan threads are in good shape. You could maybe try a thin crush washer under the head of the bolt as well as the stock O ring. The crush washers are normally aluminum, some even have an O ring built into the washer.

Just a thought,
Tom

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (12-21-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 03:10 PM
zimm
Road Captain

That's the plan- I'll find a rubber/metal crush washer thing. If that doesn't work, this kit looks promising as it adds steel threads: https://www.wiseautotools.com/time-s...um-pan-1-2-20/

It's a little pricey though and I'd have to buy another OEM drain plug. But it'll be better than new.

Maybe this for a drain plug gasket:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by zimm; 12-20-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12-20-2023, 04:13 PM
Tom H
Road Captain
Received 309 Likes on 230 Posts

The Amazon link is for the crush washer with O ring that I mentioned. That one is a bit pricey, but it is Dorman. You can find kits of the same type washer with multiple sizes for about the same price if you may have use for other sizes.

Might be cheaper to have a shop fix the threads with an insert, rather than buying the kit for a one time use. Timesert is a very good thread repair, but pricey.

Hope the crush washer solves the problem!
Tom

Old 12-20-2023, 04:16 PM
zimm
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tom H
The Amazon link is for the crush washer with O ring that I mentioned. That one is a bit pricey, but it is Dorman. You can find kits of the same type washer with multiple sizes for about the same price if you may have use for other sizes.

Might be cheaper to have a shop fix the threads with an insert, rather than buying the kit for a one time use. Timesert is a very good thread repair, but pricey.

Hope the crush washer solves the problem!
Tom
Thanks, I'll try the Dorman first. If it still leaks, I'll buy the timesert set up. I'd rather buy the expensive tool kit and have it myself rather than let a shop touch my toys. I still have the $150 Ford 5.4 triton spark plug removal kit from a long departed F250, but if I ever have to change plugs on a 5.4, I'm ready!

The following 3 users liked this post by zimm:
Architect (12-21-2023), Goose_NC (12-21-2023), Rufus13 (12-20-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 05:20 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,716 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Originally Posted by zimm
Thanks, I'll try the Dorman first. If it still leaks, I'll buy the timesert set up. I'd rather buy the expensive tool kit and have it myself rather than let a shop touch my toys. I still have the $150 Ford 5.4 triton spark plug removal kit from a long departed F250, but if I ever have to change plugs on a 5.4, I'm ready!
Ah. Another tool junkie. Your in friendly territory here

You say it already has an oversize plug. (?) If so, you might be disappointed with a 12mm washer since the original plug was 1/2-20 (12.5mm) and the oversize is possibly 9/16. Depends what kind of plug they used - as in self tapping or what. Might want to measure before ordering. A copper washer heated cherry red then cooled (water or air) will soften it up and make for a good seal or aluminum if you can find one the correct size.

The following 2 users liked this post by t150vej:
Goose_NC (12-21-2023), pgreer (12-21-2023)

Quick Reply: Oil drain plug leaking