EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Who's going to Sturgis?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2024, 05:40 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,525 Likes on 1,306 Posts

We’ll be there, but Sturgis week no longer holds the draw it did when I was younger than 70. Now, if Lynyrd Skynyrd was playing, I’d have to rethink my trip. We’ll being riding the hills, then on to Oklahoma, then southern Illinois and maybe on to Philadelphia. In our mid 90’s, wife says two weeks is long enough. I’m just getting started at 3 weeks. Either way we’ll be riding the hills going and coming home. Glacier going, jelly stone headed home.

Maybe she’ll get off and fly home after three weeks, but that will be her choice. New fluids, pads 2/3rds, tires have at least 10,000 more before wear bars. I just need the snow and ice gone.

So technically, I’ll not be at Sturgis if you mean “Sturgis”. If you mean Deadwood, Hill City, Hot Springs, Custer park, iron mountain, needles, then yes. Honk if you see us, I’ll be on the black Harley.

The following 2 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
Mountainkowboy (01-19-2024), rick601 (01-20-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 06:26 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 1,083 Posts

I'm hoping to make it out there this year. Probably going to stay at the Shade Valley Camp Resort.

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
We’ll be there, but Sturgis week no longer holds the draw it did when I was younger than 70. Now, if Lynyrd Skynyrd was playing,
Well, you should probably make plans then. They played at the Buffalo Chip the last two years. Probably be playing there again this year.

The following users liked this post:
son of the hounds (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 06:32 PM
Garage666
Road Master
Received 438 Likes on 227 Posts

See y'all there.

Mountainkowboy (01-19-2024)
Old 01-19-2024, 07:25 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I'm hoping to make it out there this year. Probably going to stay at the Shade Valley Camp Resort.

Well, you should probably make plans then. They played at the Buffalo Chip the last two years. Probably be playing there again this year.
I should pay better attention, I thought they stopped touring! Might have to move my dates around and catch them coming or going. I don’t check the Chip any longer. I will this year, but then maybe I’ve changed. Age does that to a man and his purpose for riding.

Added: I have no social media except for email and this forum, so I miss a lot.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 01-19-2024 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:19 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,848 Likes on 3,331 Posts

I always thought about it just like Daytona Beach as well but I was never into big crowds... Back in the late '70s I used to go to duanesburg New York for the big rallies... It was the last time I did that except for last year was the first time in many many years I went to Laconia and you know what, it did nothing for me...
Just not into it But I would love to do the touring in that area, that I would go for absolutely.. It's on my bucket list touring the Black hills Wyoming Montana Oregon...

The one trip I really do want to do is US route 20 it goes from Boston Harbor all the way to I think it's Newport Oregon, Coast to Coast, one road..

https://images.app.goo.gl/gscM812wEReKTBrY7

The following 5 users liked this post by 98hotrodfatboy:
0maha (01-20-2024), Dan89FLSTC (01-20-2024), Spanners39 (01-22-2024), tar_snake (01-24-2024), Tee&Vee (01-29-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 08:41 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

I should pay better attention, I thought they stopped touring! Might have to move my dates around and catch them coming or going. I don’t check the Chip any longer. I will this year, but then maybe I’ve changed. Age does that to a man and his purpose for riding.

Added: I have no social media except for email and this forum, so I miss a lot.
So I just went on the Lynyrd Skynyrd site, 40 concerts this year, the first half with ZZ. Everywhere but Sturgis. I guess that contract is yet to be signed. I guess I’d better find a different excuse to just ride the black hills. As an older man, things have changed. I pee more often, and the Chip just doesn’t feel cool anymore. When it was mostly tents and motorcycles, it felt cool (to me). I never envied the trailer/Rv crowd. I understood it, just didn’t want that in my life. I have owned several “RVs”, well a trailer and a class C, for hunting and early on, trips with the family. It’s the golf cart mentality that drove me away finally. Not the shitty toilets, mud holes, lack of sufficient showers, or bands I never heard of and found I didn’t care for when I heard them. Yes, I got old, and I’d been working on being a better curmudgeon for 40 years. About 10 years ago, I arrived at perfection. Now, my attitude is locked in for the rest of my time on earth.

Thanks for letting me know that Lynyrd is still touring. God, they must be old. Guess I’ll just go see Ringo in Vegas and when in the black hills, admit that Lynyrd at the Chip might now be beyond my desire. I now have no excuses left in my life. I just am not going “Sturgis week”.

Just remember to wave, I’ll be the one on the black Harley.

Old 01-20-2024, 09:14 AM
ken mcduff
Road Warrior
Received 412 Likes on 256 Posts

I live 200 miles from there.Maybe if I'm feeling adventurous.

Old 01-20-2024, 09:40 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
I always thought about it just like Daytona Beach as well but I was never into big crowds... Back in the late '70s I used to go to duanesburg New York for the big rallies... It was the last time I did that except for last year was the first time in many many years I went to Laconia and you know what, it did nothing for me...
Just not into it But I would love to do the touring in that area, that I would go for absolutely.. It's on my bucket list touring the Black hills Wyoming Montana Oregon...
Is the rally you are referring to in Duanesburg the Harley Rendezvous? I've been there a few times. The last few years I've avoided it for a number of reasons that include:
  1. High ticket cost ($85+) if not purchasing a ticket before Christmas
  2. High early bird entry fee ($50)
  3. Requirement to purchase tickets in advance
  4. Poor or sub-par bands and entertainment
  5. Long wait to get into the grounds
  6. Intrusive search of your vehicle and gear upon entering the grounds
  7. Lack of porta johns on the grounds
  8. Typical weekend includes rain and muddy grounds
Did you ever go to Am-Jam in Cobleskill, NY back in the day?
In regards to Sturgis, I've never found the crowds troublesome. The area is large and it's fairly easy to avoid them.
In my opinion, Laconia Rally doesn't really compare to the Sturgis Rally. You can head up to Woodstock, NH anytime, save lots of money on lodging and have the roads all to yourself!

So I just went on the Lynyrd Skynyrd site, 40 concerts this year, the first half with ZZ. Everywhere but Sturgis. I guess that contract is yet to be signed. I guess I’d better find a different excuse to just ride the black hills. As an older man, things have changed. I pee more often, and the Chip just doesn’t feel cool anymore. When it was mostly tents and motorcycles, it felt cool (to me). I never envied the trailer/Rv crowd. I understood it, just didn’t want that in my life. I have owned several “RVs”, well a trailer and a class C, for hunting and early on, trips with the family. It’s the golf cart mentality that drove me away finally. Not the shitty toilets, mud holes, lack of sufficient showers, or bands I never heard of and found I didn’t care for when I heard them. Yes, I got old, and I’d been working on being a better curmudgeon for 40 years. About 10 years ago, I arrived at perfection. Now, my attitude is locked in for the rest of my time on earth.

Thanks for letting me know that Lynyrd is still touring. God, they must be old. Guess I’ll just go see Ringo in Vegas and when in the black hills, admit that Lynyrd at the Chip might now be beyond my desire. I now have no excuses left in my life. I just am not going “Sturgis week”.
I've stayed at the Buffalo Chip many times. I won't stay there anymore for some of the reasons you list. I need a somewhat clean bathroom and shower. Keep in mind I backpack so I'm somewhat familar with roughing it. The Shade Valley Camp Resort is a bit out of the way, but the bathrooms/showers are very clean. and the price for tent camping isn't too bad. I think it's about 8 miles past the Chip, but I really don't mind the ride. The Chip is a fun time, but I can get my entertainment at any number of other venues.

In regards to Lynyrd Skynyrd, are there any original members of the band still playing in the band? I don't believe so.
You might as well go see the Artimus Pyle Band.

Last edited by LQQK_OUT; 01-20-2024 at 09:44 AM.
pgreer (01-22-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 11:10 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
The one trip I really do want to do is US route 20 it goes from Boston Harbor all the way to I think it's Newport Oregon, Coast to Coast, one road..

https://images.app.goo.gl/gscM812wEReKTBrY7
That would be awesome! When that gets into the "going to happen" stage, look me up.

Depending on how much time you want to spend on side trips, there's a bunch of good riding aling the way.

The following 2 users liked this post by 0maha:
98hotrodfatboy (01-20-2024), Dan89FLSTC (01-24-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 12:29 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,848 Likes on 3,331 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
That would be awesome! When that gets into the "going to happen" stage, look me up.

Depending on how much time you want to spend on side trips, there's a bunch of good riding aling the way.
I will definitely make it public and I would love to meet up with a lot of you guys.. The only part of that trip I ain't going to do is to go through downtown Chicago...

The following 2 users liked this post by 98hotrodfatboy:
Dan89FLSTC (01-24-2024), tar_snake (01-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Who's going to Sturgis?