EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ignition Woes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 07:36 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,925 Likes on 3,369 Posts
Default Ignition Woes...

For the last 7-8 months I've been having issues with my ignition modules.. It got to the point where I would get hard starting and spark when the exhaust valve would open and bang.. Loud As F uck.. At first I thought my Dyna 2ki in the nose cone went back because of the heat down there.. So I found that real cheap Ultima knock off on the bay and for a short while if worked great but then the bike went back to hard starting and poor performance..
​​​​​​ So again I replaced the ignition but this time I put in a Screaming Eagle module that I had on the shelf along with a SMP MC-SPA3 CPS and again ran great for a while no problems starting, no backfires and ran great..
Until the other day, all of a sudden I was back to the same issues as before.. Loud backfire at times and not fire right up with a decrease in power.. So I started to check all my grounds any charging system, Unfortunately I did not find anything wrong.. All grounds were good and the rotor and stator checked out perfect..
I was getting a little perplexed about it and tonight I went for a small 20 mile ride and decided monitor my voltage out put the best I can.. I have a Dakota Digital speedometer with Manny options.. So I set the odometer switch to monitor voltage.. Sure as **** it didn't take long and at random times, I would see a voltage flash/spike to 17.9 v.. More than enough to spike the ignition module with hi voltage and create ignition timing issues..
I don't think I've seen a voltage regulator have this issue before.. I always though either they were good or they were bad.. I've never seen an intermittent issue like this before.. I guess it's time for a new regulator as well as a new ignition module.. Damn it..
What really bums me out is that I really like the programmable Screaming Eagle ignition modules, they perform very well and now I'm out of them.. Double Damn it....

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 04-24-2024 at 07:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 98hotrodfatboy:
Blk/Wht/andChrome (04-25-2024), s-glide76 (04-26-2024), tar_snake (04-26-2024)
Old 04-24-2024, 07:54 PM
86glider
Road Warrior
Received 863 Likes on 517 Posts

Hey Bob, that sure sucks. Just when you think you fixed it. What about an intermittent coil? Like when it gets hot or maybe a crack in it?

Old 04-24-2024, 08:27 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 86glider
Hey Bob, that sure sucks. Just when you think you fixed it. What about an intermittent coil? Like when it gets hot or maybe a crack in it?
Hey Don thanks, I don't see the coil taking out the ignition module..I no longer get the status light when you first power up the module and when I ground the VOES wire nothing happens..
Last November I was out at the River and had a hell of a time trying to get it started. Wire the battery down, tried jumping and Even dragged it begging a pick up truck pooping clutch.. Still nothing.. Them all of a sudden it fired.. Got it home and Replaced the module and all was on for a while..

​​​​​​Going to get a new module or 2.. I have a regulator on the shelf so that should be ok.. will see..

Best to find it now and not out on the road..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 04-24-2024 at 08:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (04-26-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 12:33 PM
mike131
Road Warrior
Received 636 Likes on 412 Posts

You could get a Dynatec 2000p, same as the Screaming Eagle ignition modules, I believe Dynatec makes the modules for Screaming Eagle, I replaced my Screaming Eagle module with the Dynatec 2000p identical to the Screaming Eagle module except the sticker https://www.ebay.com/itm/17334243434...Bk9SR_SHwuTiYw

Last edited by mike131; 04-25-2024 at 12:34 PM.
98hotrodfatboy (04-25-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 04:43 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mike131
You could get a Dynatec 2000p, same as the Screaming Eagle ignition modules, I believe Dynatec makes the modules for Screaming Eagle, I replaced my Screaming Eagle module with the Dynatec 2000p identical to the Screaming Eagle module except the sticker https://www.ebay.com/itm/17334243434...Bk9SR_SHwuTiYw
Yes Dynatek absolutely does make them or did back in the Evo days for Screaming Eagle... I confirmed that with them several years ago..

Old 04-25-2024, 04:45 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

So has any one ran into this issue in having with my charging system?..I replaced the regulator today and no difference.. Every now and then it'll go up to 17.9-18.1 v..

Old 04-25-2024, 05:06 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,733 Likes on 1,179 Posts

A fella from a group I rode with some asked me if I had ever seen a VR spike a system.
He was told his was causing problems. I don't recall the symptoms he had but a shop told him about it
He didn't believe them Ahh 1 symptom was the radio would go stupid.

I rigged up a jumper harness, connected to my Fluke and set it to record. He stuck the Fluke in his jacket pocket and went for ride.
Came back in about 2 hours and sure enough 2 spikes to 18-19 volts were recorded, and one was abit over 20 even.

We put a spare VR on his bike, he rode it 3 wks. No Problems.
He bought a new VR and brought me my spare back.

Have heard of such but this one I had my hands on.

Hellva Good Catch Sir

WP

Max Headflow (04-26-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 05:15 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,733 Likes on 1,179 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
So has any one ran into this issue in having with my charging system?..I replaced the regulator today and no difference.. Every now and then it'll go up to 17.9-18.1 v..
Well Chit
I have seen trucks and cars do it just the one bike though.
It was as a rule a battery connection or or engine harness connection arcing fixed what few I dealt with.
There was a truck with a fuse block tryng to melt down and the customer noticed the volt gauge would peg out from time to time.

That prompted him to bring it to the shop.

Dang Good Luck Sir WP

Old 04-25-2024, 06:14 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I was just talking to a friend of mine and he said it's possible that there's a magnets moving around inside the rotor, which could be possible because I have a shielded rotor on my charging system.. I guess I'm going to have to take it apart and check it out because I'm getting tired of overvolting my ignition modules...

tar_snake (04-26-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 09:14 PM
t150vej
HDF Community Team
Received 1,733 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Hey Don thanks, I don't see the coil taking out the ignition module..I no longer get the status light when you first power up the module and when I ground the VOES wire nothing happens..
Last November I was out at the River and had a hell of a time trying to get it started. Wire the battery down, tried jumping and Even dragged it begging a pick up truck pooping clutch.. Still nothing.. Them all of a sudden it fired.. Got it home and Replaced the module and all was on for a while..

​​​​​​Going to get a new module or 2.. I have a regulator on the shelf so that should be ok.. will see..

Best to find it now and not out on the road..
Uh, was this the same regulator off the shelf? Was it a new one or a used one? Just sayin'

I was just talking to a friend of mine and he said it's possible that there's a magnets moving around inside the rotor, which could be possible because I have a shielded rotor on my charging system.. I guess I'm going to have to take it apart and check it out because I'm getting tired of overvolting my ignition modules...
We've all learned to never rule anything out but I cannot make myself a loose magnet would cause a spike. Seems a low AC output would be the result of any rotor issue rather than uncontrollable spike voltage.

The Dyna 2ki supposed to have over voltage protection, can't say about the copy version. I don't know if it applies to spikes. Also, the green light (with engine off/not grounded) will normally flash one time when switched off. If over voltage it should blink fast at power on. The red light won't always blink once on power up if the rotor cup stops in exactly a certain place. Bump starter or roll in gear to move cam a bit. If the green wire is connected to coil it'll fry the module.

You can get hold of customer service (and they're good) you can send in the d2ki. If it's messed up, they'll replace it if in warranty. If not, they will sell you a replacement on a big discount. If there's nothing wrong with it, they charge you $25. That's how is was last time I checked several years ago.

The following 3 users liked this post by t150vej:
86glider (04-26-2024), Max Headflow (04-26-2024), pgreer (04-26-2024)

Quick Reply: Ignition Woes...