EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Considering buying an EVO

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:51 PM
MortgageGuy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering buying an EVO

I am looking at a '96 Fatboy w/12,000 miles on it. The motor is stock. I'm not very familiar with this engine & drivetrain and just wondering if there's anything in particuliar I should beware of. The bike appears to have been very well cared for with no apparent leaks. It starts and runs good. I've put almost 30,000 miles on an '05 1200C and I'm looking for something a little bigger for the longer trips my wife and I take (don't have the $ for a new bike). I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but I'm definitely not a harley trained mechanic and I don't want to create a lot of extra wrenching hours or to be overly concerned about reliability while on extended trips away from home. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:49 PM
I8SMK4U
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Evos are the last of the raw HP engines. I lov'em. They are notorious for going the distance being stock. It is not suprising to here of an evo with 100,000 miles on it. My dads has a '91 with a carb, cam, and exhaust. other than that the bike is stock and has 60,000 miles on it. My moms 97 Springer Heritage is 100% stock with 50,000 miles on it. They are slow though compared to the new ones out. Leaving from a light with my friends I am usually in the back and catch up to them but my bike can get way louder. The thing to about e'm is they are not electronic and in the worse case scenario, if your bike breaks down, you can usually jerry rig it to get it going.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:01 PM
MortgageGuy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input I8SMK4U. I notice you have done some motor work to yours. How do you like your cam? That seems to be one of the first things people change out on these models.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Buddy7394
Tourer
Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts
Thumbs up EVO Power

MortgageGuy-

I am a very into my Evo's as well.. I don't think you will be disappointed.

my '94 FatBoy now has 130,000 miles (my main ride)

& my '97 R king has 78,000 miles

And I am NOT left at the light by Twincams....

Yet, both my Evos still yeild 48-52 mpg & I run them..

If you get it & ever want to change the cam. Or just to be safe, be sure you have the Better TORRINGTON inner cam bearing installed. From mid 1992-'99 Evos came stock with a low quality INA roller bearing..Has 1/2 the rollers that the Torrington..

That would be about the only thing I'd change to be worry free.

Also EVO's like to be warmed up good before blasting off down the road, otherwise it can cause a possible base gasket(s) leak.

Just FYI

I do NOT want a new bike, They run Too hot, & to correct that costs $$
They can have em..

Old 02-02-2009, 02:05 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Evos are great! Later versions like the one you mention are good and solid and there are plenty of custom parts and engine tuning parts available. HDF is also a great source of knowledge and help with looking after them. Let us know how you get on - and good luck!

Old 02-02-2009, 07:08 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

EVO's are super, however softtails are not the greatest two up bike made. They ride a little rough compared to a swing arm bike. If you are young enough it probably won't bother you. Just something to think about. If you do get it send the seat to Mean Citys cycle for a rework and you should be OK. Hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:12 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Can't Go Wrong with an Evo.. Tough, Dependable and Proven to be so...

Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 AM
hardluk1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BUY, By all means BUY. After rideing a couple tc motored bikes both stock and wild and going back to a evo after 6 years i now wonder why i ever bought a tc. I'am back on a 86 evo.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:29 AM
skullhead
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had an TC and now I'm running a EVO and have to say the EVO is more fun. To be honest if I was going for a long distance bike I'd look for a TC88 (not the 96) because it ran smoother and had more power (yes I know I can throw money in mine and make it go faster).

But for one up running around that I do and to be different you can't beat an EVO. Easy to work on, reliable and sounds great.

But, like a Harley should, they do shake....

Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Evos rule! Buy it! Never met a twin cam that would leave me at a light. Maybe top end but never down low. Evos are stump pullers.

Quick Reply: Considering buying an EVO