EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1988 FXSTS Signal Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:17 AM
tujo33
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 FXSTS Signal Lights

I've got a problem with my signal lights and can't come up with a solution. When I push either signal light switch, it will run for approx. 7 seconds then shut off automatically. If I do a quick left then right both lights will flash in 4 ways for approx 7 sec. again then shut off. It looks like the PO did some wiring himself (very shotty in rest of bike) but I'm having a heck of a time finding out how the wired would have been run stock. When you guys hit your signal lights, what keeps power running through the circuit and then kills the circuit when you hit the signal light again. Also, what do the old lean switches look like, I know my bike shouldn't have one but there is a black puck? with some wires running into it but the puck itself has a big crack in it, not sure what this is. Thanks again.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:15 PM
NorthGeorgiaHawg
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tujo33
I've got a problem with my signal lights and can't come up with a solution. When I push either signal light switch, it will run for approx. 7 seconds then shut off automatically. If I do a quick left then right both lights will flash in 4 ways for approx 7 sec. again then shut off. It looks like the PO did some wiring himself (very shotty in rest of bike) but I'm having a heck of a time finding out how the wired would have been run stock. When you guys hit your signal lights, what keeps power running through the circuit and then kills the circuit when you hit the signal light again. Also, what do the old lean switches look like, I know my bike shouldn't have one but there is a black puck? with some wires running into it but the puck itself has a big crack in it, not sure what this is. Thanks again.
Not sure when the MoCo came out with the self-cancelling turn signals, but there is a module that receives signals about your speed, and in later models it has an accelerometer in it that can sense the angle of the bike. Probably wasn't that fancy back in 88 tho. The turn signal module controls all aspects of the turn signal operation.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:13 PM
Greybeard Bob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock your bike didn't have self canceling T/S, somebody added an aftermarket doo-dad. Stock it just comes on when you push the button, goes off when you don't. Simple, easy. The Harley service manual has wiring diagrams in the back, get one if you don't have it and it can show you how its supposed to be wired. JMHO, YMMV, etc.

Bob

Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Greybeard is correct. Some of the aftermarket turn signal modules can be programed to flash longer, check to see if yours can. If not you can get a newer one that can be programed, the cost is minimal. Hope this helps.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:29 AM
tujo33
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what would this module look like? Sorry to sound like an idiot but I wouldn't know what it would look like.