EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Rocker Box advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:10 PM
woody0404
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Box advice

It's the offseason here in Ohio and my 95 EG has developed a leak on the front rocker box bottom gasket closest to jug. My locally owned HD mechanic will change out all rocker box gaskets as well as pushrod tube o rings on both jugs as well as rejet carbs and change oil for $250. My question is...how hard is this to do myself? I'm pretty mechnically inclined, have the manual and see that a set of Evo gaskets are under $50. Just checking to see if there will be some hiccups I may encounter by doing it myself versus a professional. Any feedback is appreciated...

Old 12-14-2011, 06:47 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 453 Likes on 258 Posts

Its no biggie, easy really if you know how to read a manual :-)

Old 12-15-2011, 03:26 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

The only hiccup I recall is getting at one of the screws, probably on the rear rocker cover, and I shortened an allen key. That's about as difficult as it is likely to get!

Old 12-15-2011, 04:57 AM
RCShumar
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with grbrown about the allen wrench. If I recall correctly it was the rear cylinder,rear left side bolt if your sitting in the saddle that gave me the trouble, but if you shorten the wrench you'll be fine

Old 12-15-2011, 07:28 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not hard at all. just follow the advice about cutting down an allen wrench. I have actually done one in a car wash bay during a rain storm

Old 12-15-2011, 09:07 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just take a drill and drill a clearance hole through the frame. It doesn't weaken the frame and it makes it much easier to R&R that pesky bolt. That's what we do.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:39 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,970 Likes on 17,493 Posts

Originally Posted by miacycles
Just take a drill and drill a clearance hole through the frame. It doesn't weaken the frame and it makes it much easier to R&R that pesky bolt. That's what we do.
Yep , later frames on some models came with that hole . Drilled a few myself over the years .

Ps only thing I'll add to this is check the top & middle pieces of the boxes I for flatness on a glass pane or something similar , sometimes they will warp .

Old 12-22-2011, 07:54 AM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
....Ps only thing I'll add to this is check the top & middle pieces of the boxes I for flatness on a glass pane or something similar , sometimes they will warp .
I had to replace mine due to them being warped. They would leal even with gasket sinch.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:12 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by woody0404
It's the offseason here in Ohio and my 95 EG has developed a leak on the front rocker box bottom gasket closest to jug. My locally owned HD mechanic will change out all rocker box gaskets as well as pushrod tube o rings on both jugs as well as rejet carbs and change oil for $250. My question is...how hard is this to do myself? I'm pretty mechnically inclined, have the manual and see that a set of Evo gaskets are under $50. Just checking to see if there will be some hiccups I may encounter by doing it myself versus a professional. Any feedback is appreciated...
You're doing the right thing by working on your ride. As you did it more often you will gain even more experience and that alone will give you insight on where to go if your bike starts to act up...The worst question is the one that goes un-asked! If you land in unknown territory, drop in an ask...You'll get an answer!

Old 12-22-2011, 04:09 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,970 Likes on 17,493 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
You're doing the right thing by working on your ride. As you did it more often you will gain even more experience and that alone will give you insight on where to go if your bike starts to act up...The worst question is the one that goes un-asked! If you land in unknown territory, drop in an ask...You'll get an answer!
I'll back Bob on that , please keep us updated . There is some serious combined knowledge in here to be tapped with just a question hell of a resource really .

Quick Reply: Rocker Box advice