EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Recommended Oil for EVO 1340

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 05:18 AM
badcooky
Banned
Received 473 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by RidemyEVO
I norice your in Aussie land, 50 would probably about do it there.
Hey are you chuck norice? lol no **** cheers.
Yea I think growing up on Shovels too RidemyEVO{norice} yea straight 50 once they got a little rattly.
Hey i'm not disputing that my country can get hot either,have u been over this way man ?

Old 01-19-2012, 08:01 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
The Spanner requires you to use Spectro V Twin mineral 20/50 in the motor, Spectro "Gear Guard" in the tranny (its such a pretty colour) and Spectro Primary Oil in the primary...its all I ever use....anyone who uses anything else is a Pinko Commie Wet back and guilty of Un American activities....expecially those dirtbags who use French oil in their H-Ds......they are the ones who ain't never goin' to heaven!!! :-)

This has to be the best oil post I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:47 PM
97HeritageSpringer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texashillcountry

This has to be the best oil post I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

X2!!

Old 06-14-2016, 10:22 PM
harleyevo@verizon.net
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil...

Tough one, I've been pondering it for quite some time.

My FLSTF 99 (Last of the Evolution engines.) :-)

Calls for HD360 oil. It also says in a pinch I can use any Diesel rated oil that is API CG CF CG-4 etc...

Since the API ratings are a standard I look for any oil that meets this criteria.

Unfortunately these oil designations are obsolete, and have been replaced by:

CH-4, CI-4 and CJ-4.

So any oil that meets these designations (current) in the proper weight for the riding temperature should play well, regardless if it is synthetic or No.

Having said that, I had tried Castrol 20-50 years back, met the CG-4 designation. It unfortunately did not hold up the entire season had to change at 1500 miles. (it ok, I was low and on a trip so it did in a pinch.)

I then tried the PennsOil 20-50 and that also was CG-4 rated. Held up the entire riding season here in the northeast. 3600 miles. used that as it was cheap and worked as good as HD360 if not better. It also ran significantly cooler than the Castrol and the HD360.

It still be using it today, except the current 20-50 offering, no longer is Diesel rated by the API carries only SM/SN ratings.

Onto Mobil 1, Again rated CF/CG/CG-4 ran just as cool and lasted as long as the PennsOil but at a premium price. I also liked it because it was a 15-50 as opposed to 20-50, so you got the benefit of better oil flow when your engine was cold, and this also extended the riding season to November before having to switch to the 10-40 for below 50 riding.

Unfortunately... Mobil 1 has also reformulated, and the bottles no longer carry the diesel rating (old or new.)

So my hunt is on for summer oil....

For winter, pretty much any diesel 10-40 is going to do you right and that is temps to 50 and below as they're all rated CI-4 or CJ-4.

I'm not in a bind, at present, as I have 2Qt HD 360 and 3 QT of the old spec Mobil1.

But I will keep anyone appraised if I find a source of oil, meeting the updated designations for Evolution Oil if interested.

And yes I do know you can get the Royal Purple's And Amsols, and at my Napa store I can get pretty much any 20-50 that will meet the proper specifications. right now I'm just trying to find a version either pep-boys, auto-zone, Walmart, that carries oil meeting the API specs called for.

Think I'm on a road trip and realize I need oil... And it's a holiday weekend and all the Harley dealers are closed. It happened to me in upstate NY. The only HD dealer was closed for the week. Go figure....

But I digress...

Anyway if anyone has stumbled across 20-50 Diesel grade. let me know where. :-)

and if anyone is interested in the API cross reference it is locate here:

http://www.api.org/products-and-serv...ies#tab_diesel

and apparently there is currently new (ugh) designations this year. SO Dec 1 2016 will introduce CK-4

Standard Disclaimer: Your experiences may vary, My EVO has an Oil-cooler mounted high so it catches the wind above the front wheel, and opposed to sitting behind the front wheel, yada yada yada With a divirter behind the oil filter, forces the oil to route to the cooler before returning.

I have custom made Hilborn air Scoop and oversize high-flow air filter, Modified python 2-1 pipes tuned to the induction Bored Mikuni and have shaved my heads a bit for slightly higher compression. (Ok so I have a machine shop at my disposal.) Higher flow oil pump than factory.

Oil temp in the Oil tank stays at a solid 100F. but the bike does run hot, she has turned the pipes a nice golden hue to the muffler (that's about 3/4 the length of the entire exhaust system) . and a EV27 cam in the bike.

So for no issues from oil... and I'm currently sitting at 47+K but unless you haven't guessed I'm a bit of a gear head and this is my poor-mans-hotrod. :-)

Last edited by harleyevo@verizon.net; 06-14-2016 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Posted before I was done.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:36 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

You actually resurrected a 4 1/2 year old OIL thread? WTF
This topic has been done to death on every forum on this website.

Bottom line, use whatever floats your boat. If you can't make up your mind after reading what others have to say, I don't know what to tell ya.

Last edited by Beemervet; 06-14-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:08 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
You actually resurrected a 4 1/2 year old OIL thread? WTF
This topic has been done to death on every forum on this website.

Bottom line, use whatever floats your boat. If you can't make up your mind after reading what others have to say, I don't know what to tell ya.
Damn near anything works, and almost nothing will hurt it. Ride more: Worry less.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:00 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts
Old 06-15-2016, 09:00 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyevo@verizon.net
Having said that, I had tried Castrol 20-50 years back, met the CG-4 designation. It unfortunately did not hold up the entire season had to change at 1500 miles.
With a 100% certainty I am going to regret asking this question...

What does "did not hold up the entire season had to change at 1500 miles" mean?

Ok. I already regret it. Nevermind.

Have some cake!

Old 06-15-2016, 09:33 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,190 Likes on 1,517 Posts

When I pull over for a ****, I just pop the oil cap and pee in there. It works!

Old 06-15-2016, 09:56 AM
RLH3175
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,417 Likes on 907 Posts

I use Quicksilver 20-50 motorcycle oil when I can find it, or Mobil 1, in the engine, 75-140 gear oil in the trans and Castrol 20-50 dino in the primary

Last edited by RLH3175; 06-15-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Recommended Oil for EVO 1340