EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Steel breather valves?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Broncobilly72
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steel breather valves?

Just wondering if it is worth it, to change out the oem plastic breather valves on an 80" Evo - to steel breather valves (Jims/S&s)?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:22 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I put the metal in when I changed cams at 4000 mi. The plastic one was worn and scarred up.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:33 AM
Broncobilly72
Cruiser

DeJavu,
Thanks for the quick reply! My 97 RK has 27K on it. I don't know much about the maintenance history of the bike, as I just picked it up this past April. I am sure the oem plastic breather valves are in need of replacement. So; I figure I might as well go with the Jims or S&S steel valves.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:46 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a good plan.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:37 AM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 for the steel S&S unit. Had one in for two years and loving it.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

@30K my plastic one had some wear on it but it and the case looked real good, I stayed with the plastic. I figure if it lasted 30K++ the first time I was good for another 30 and I think that the metal one would wear the cases quicker since it was harder metal than the case. I have not heard of a plastic one going bad and causing problems, I have heard of one that picked up bits of metal from another issue, they got imbeded in the plastic and scored the case really bad. I also heard of a metal one that was not shimmed correctly causing issues.

As much as I don't like plastic, I don't see a reason for a metal one in a street engine.

Ds

Old 09-22-2012, 08:32 AM
EVOrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 275 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug S
@30K my plastic one had some wear on it but it and the case looked real good, I stayed with the plastic. I figure if it lasted 30K++ the first time I was good for another 30 and I think that the metal one would wear the cases quicker since it was harder metal than the case. I have not heard of a plastic one going bad and causing problems, I have heard of one that picked up bits of metal from another issue, they got imbeded in the plastic and scored the case really bad. I also heard of a metal one that was not shimmed correctly causing issues.

As much as I don't like plastic, I don't see a reason for a metal one in a street engine.

Ds
Pretty much what I think as well......I have close to 80,000 miles with original plastic one. It didn't show any wear when I changed the cam last year....so I kept the plastic.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The plastic ones were designed to wear to a point. If by some chance something nasty got in there the theory was it would imbed in the plastic and not gouge out the opening lik it would if it were caught between two pieces of metal. We've been using the reed types with good luck so far.
John

Old 09-22-2012, 01:56 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug S

Ds
Originally Posted by EVOrider
Pretty much what I think as well......I have close to 80,000 miles with original plastic one. It didn't show any wear when I changed the cam last year....so I kept the plastic.
X3, I recently changed my cam and although my original OEM plastic breather gear looked perfect, I replaced it with a new OEM since I was in there anyway. It was only $8.50 so why not. That might be the most reasonably priced HD part I ever bought.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Broncobilly72
Cruiser

Thanks for the input everyone! Some great info posted ; ) I will give the oem plastic breather valves a look over. If they look good, I will keep them. If not, I will go with factory plastic replacement. Thanks for saving me a $100 bucks! We need every penny we can get these days

Quick Reply: Steel breather valves?