EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Bike only firing on front cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 AM
grantuk
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bike only firing on front cylinder

I have recently done a ground-up rebuild of my 1996 fuel-injected Evo Road King. The build is complete but the bike is now only running on the front cylinder. I cannot get the back cylinder to fire.

I have read through all the forums and addressed all the issues I can think of with no luck. The bike still won’t fire on the rear.

I have fitted a new battery, new plug leads and checked there is plenty of spark on both cylinders, which there is. I have swapped the spark plus around and fired the bike up on the front cylinder using both plugs with the rear removed to reduce compression.

Thinking it may be a blocked injector or fuel filter, I have completely overhauled the fueling system. I fitted a new fuel pump 2 years ago which is still working fine, I fitted a new pressure regulator. I took both injectors out of the bike and cleaned them using a fuel system cleaner, remote battery and switch trigger to ensure they are working fine – which they are. I fitted a new fuel filter to ensure no blockages.

I have just rebuilt the engine with new seals and gaskets rings etc, so pretty sure it is not a compression issue as I lapped the valves and all seemed to be perfect. Just to make sure I removed the pushrod covers and ran the starter – rods moving up and down as expected so assume it is not a valve issue.

Could it be the timing or electrical? I think it may have fired back through the intake manifold once or twice on the starter.

As I said, I removed the rear plug and started the bike up fine on the front. I can even see the atomised fuel being blown out of the open rear spark plug hole on the compression stroke, so there seems to be plenty of fuel, spark and compression – pretty much clean out of ideas here.

There must be something I have missed – crank position sensor perhaps? Any advice would be appreciated…

Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,718 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Start with a compression test.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:11 AM
grantuk
Novice

Thanks, just thought of that myself, so I remove the rear plug, covered the hole with my finger and turned the engine over....and surprise surprise I can hold it there without compression escaping....guess that isn't a good thing?

I am going to remove the rocker covers and see what is going on, possible a broken valve stem or incorrect push-rod position.....will post a response once I have done so.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:39 AM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Pushrods in the wrong position.........one will be bent now........

Old 06-22-2013, 08:06 AM
grantuk
Novice

Correct HD7585....I had the rear cylinder push rod order wrong....thought the rods are fine, checked them for straightness and not bent....bike is now running sweet as a nut....finally I can go ride after 8 months of building my 'custom evo street king'......Yeeha!

Last edited by grantuk; 06-22-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:27 AM
grantuk
Novice
Default Pictures of my bike

Pictures of my bike.....

Attached Thumbnails Bike only firing on front cylinder-image.jpg  
Old 06-22-2013, 08:28 AM
grantuk
Novice
Default Pictures of my bike